Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
RIsmoker

Default going on a cruise! need some places to visit!

Hello every body, I'm going on a 8 day cruise departing from NYC. We're stopping in three islands and the only two that I remember are the Turks and Caico's and Nassau. I'm looking to find some cigar stores on those islands that any of you guys know of that I should go to. I'm hoping to find a place that's kind of a real down to earth store that isn't over priced like I'd think a lot of them would be.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough
Default Re: going on a cruise! need some places to visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIsmoker View Post
Hello every body, I'm going on a 8 day cruise departing from NYC. We're stopping in three islands and the only two that I remember are the Turks and Caico's and Nassau. I'm looking to find some cigar stores on those islands that any of you guys know of that I should go to. I'm hoping to find a place that's kind of a real down to earth store that isn't over priced like I'd think a lot of them would be.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
In Nassau you should visit the Graycliff Factory they are very nice and near the port.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21427
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
In Nassau you should visit the Graycliff Factory they are very nice and near the port.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21427
Other than that and the very expensive shop in the Atlantis, STAY AWAY AND YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

They are all fake Cubans being offered.
I was just there this week and laughed silly when I saw about 25 different vitolas as ELs for 2010.
Go figure. They have first dibs on them.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

Always avoid Cuban cigar merchants when in "Ports of Call" especially cruise ships loaded with Americans! ! ! Those guys are VERY slick and know how to sell a bundle cigar with the REAL (authentic) bands from REAL (authentic) boxes. Can you say: "Chump"? ? ?

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Cigary

Been to both of them as well as just about every one of the Carribean Islands at least twice. Graycliff is fun to tour but you can actually buy the cigars cheaper online and you're much smarter bringing your own stash with you unless you have a ton of disposable income to spend on "tourist" cigars. Don't get talked into buying cigars from street vendors as you'd be wasting your money while making them richer. Yes, on some islands they have the LCDH around but they are notorious for charging more than they should be. Enjoy the cruise and hope you are on a cruiseline that lets you enjoy your cigars...better if you have a balcony so you can enjoy your cigars and the view.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
RIsmoker

I looked into the smoking policy on the ship, there are areas where you can smoke anything you want at any time. You can't smoke on the personal balcony's, but that doesn't really matter seeing that I don't have my own balcony . But the ship has a fairly large cigar lounge with all the amenities that I could want, I just hope they allow you to smoke your own stuff there with out paying a light up fee :/
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Cigary

I don't think you will run into any lounge where this is a "fee" as I bring my own and have been on Carnival, RCCL, Holland America, Princess, Disney, Cunard, Celebrity and Norweigan. The best cigar lounges are those where the lounge is private and you enjoy the overstuffed leather chairs. Holland America Zuiderdam has a great one...Queen Mary 2 has an amazing one as well. Most of Carnival lounges are open where they have jazz bands playing at night and some have a bar area that is somewhat enclosed where it shares the sports lounge. RCCL likes to make you smoke outside on the port/starboard side whichever they choose and that's ok unless the winds are blowin...then it sucks.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
jbo57

I liked Norwegian's cigar lounge...but I've already talked about it extensively. Can't wait to go back.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
newlifetaxidermy

Second the Graycliff tour. They actually have a deal where they will teach you to roll a cigar. Call ahead to schedule...its cheaper than booking it thru the cruiseline (some offer it as an excursion, some do not). Most of the liquor stores will have a selection of cuban cigars. Cuban cigars are everywhere....jewelry stores, souvenier shops, etc. Most are fakes, though some of the higher end places are licensed retailers. You can check with http://www.habanoscaribe.com/, the licensed distributor of Habanos in the Caribbean, for retailers that they supply in the areas you are visiting. In all my Caribbean travels, I have seen only a small handful of places where I would buy CCs. If you happen to be going to St. Thomas, there are a couple good places for NCs, but for the life of me I can't remember the names.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
RIsmoker

I'll def have to check out that caribbean cigar place, but now my biggest issue is what cigars should I bring with me????
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I like to bring a variety, but about 3/4 of my sticks are petite coronas. There can be a lot to do on a cruise and I don't like to have to rush through a cigar in order to get to an event... Just my .

Figure out how many you typically smoke in a day, use that as an average. Do the math for the number of days to figure out how many you should bring. Then bring a few extras

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
RIsmoker

Well I've set up my travel humidor for the cruise, various sizes, kinds and blends

Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
RIsmoker

Just a lil' run down of what I got,

1 Partagas Black
2 Gran Habano Siglo 3
2 Gran Habano Vintage 2002
2 Gran Habano #3
2 Liga Pravada T52
1 Romeo y Juliest Reserva
1 Kristoff Maduro
1 Joya De Nicaraga
2 Ashton 8-9-8
1 Montecristo Platnum
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Looks like you are all set! Have a great time!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote