Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Vitamix - Anyone into them?

We recently bought a Vitamix 6300 and so far really digging it. Amazing how easy smoothies are to make and how little calories they have.

If you have been using one for a while, please share your tips and recipies.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Vitamix - Anyone into them?

Bob (Chainsaw13) has one! Sounds cool. I know he does soups in them.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I mostly use mine for making homemade peanut butter. Roast off 1lb of peanuts in a 425F oven for 16-18 minutes, stirring every 5-6 minutes to get an even roast. Let cool for a couple of minutes after taking out of the oven, then blend away. Takes about a minute for the smoothest PB youve ever had. Key is listening for the change in sound as it blends.

I have made soup a couple of times, using the recipes from the book that came with mine. Love being able to just dump everything in there and have hot soup in a matter of minutes.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Another good drink to make is almond milk. I meant to make some last night to try and hone in on the right ratios. But with some simple flavorings, this sort of reminds me of Mexican horchata. This should get you started.

1c water
1/2c ice cubes
1/4c raw almonds
1/8tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp vanilla extract
4 drops liquid stevia

Blend until smooth.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

We've made almond milk a few times. It's best to soak the almonds overnight in lightly salted water. This morning we had a spinach with strawberry, almond milke, cucumber and something else smoothie for breakfast. Quite good and satisfying. Keep me going for 5 hours without wanting to eat anything else.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Wife is driving me nuts to get her one.
Just trying to justify the cost as this thing is a pretty buck.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Wife is driving me nuts to get her one.
Just trying to justify the cost as this thing is a pretty buck.
Have to buy at Costco when they have a rep there. I saved $150 over buying on Amazon. Elys was driving me nuts with this too and I finally caved in. Actually, it's quite nice. So easy to make a smoothie, and quite cheap. Buy frozen fruit, freeze ripe bananas and you make $5 drink for 50 cents!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I need to get back to making more smoothies. Great way to get even more fruits/veggies into the diet. I tried doing some kale smoothies when I first got it. You can't use a lot of that in the beginning. It's a really strong flavor and won't break down as easy as spinach.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Anyone ever happen to have used both a Vitamix and a Blendtec? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts comparing the two.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Anyone ever happen to have used both a Vitamix and a Blendtec? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts comparing the two.
We have the Blendtec which is awesome, but have not used the Vitamix so I can't compare but I doubt you could go wrong with either
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Not me Adam. But I've heard the Blendtec's are another good choice and were on my radar. I ended up getting a killer deal on a closeout Vitamix which was hard to pass up.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I got a ninja blender after researching and wanting to get something to make healthy smoothies. It's not nearly as nice as a vitamix or blendtec, but you pay a fraction of the cost too. So I knew what I was getting myself into and have been pretty happy with it.

I made a smoothie the other day just winged it.

1 orange, whole, just peel off the outer layer and leave the pith
1 cup of baby spinach
2 peeled carrots
1/2 water
ice cubes

Makes a smoothie that tastes like orange juice but you're getting an extra 3 servings of veggies and even taking advantage of the nutrients in the orange pith. What I've noticed with these high end blenders is that you can extract more out of your ingredients. Like using avocados (whole, peel and seed too), cantaloupes (whole), strawberries (keep the green part on top), Oranges (pith and seeds), so you get even more nutrients than if you ate them and left those parts out. When they are blended, they don't affect the taste at all.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Are you sure about the avocado seed? Seems like it might be a bit too hard. I won't try though myself, can't stand avocados. Upsets my stomach something fierce.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Are you sure about the avocado seed? Seems like it might be a bit too hard. I won't try though myself, can't stand avocados. Upsets my stomach something fierce.
Yep, some don't use the peel, but the seed is ok and high in fiber.

Another one is banana peels - add those into a smoothie, but make sure you buy organic ones.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

http://youtu.be/Ax2BOCoVDJk
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Interesting article comparing the two, Blendtec and Vitamix.
http://smallapplianceshortcuts.com/b...er-comparison/
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Interesting article. My model Vitamix has three programs, plus the variable speeds.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
We have the Blendtec which is awesome, but have not used the Vitamix so I can't compare but I doubt you could go wrong with either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Not me Adam. But I've heard the Blendtec's are another good choice and were on my radar. I ended up getting a killer deal on a closeout Vitamix which was hard to pass up.
Mike, Bob, can you think of any real shortcomings of the units you do have? Cavitation problems with lighter/thinner liquids? Any experience blending lots rehydrated seeds? (like from peppers). I'm looking to eliminate the step of a hand cranked food mill for some sauces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
Yep, some don't use the peel, but the seed is ok and high in fiber.
Wicker chairs are high in fiber too. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Interesting article comparing the two, Blendtec and Vitamix.
http://smallapplianceshortcuts.com/b...er-comparison/
Thanks Carlos. I like the fact that the author of that article went and compared the specification differences between the two, but after reading it, I'm left wondering if the author has ever seen the operation of, let alone used either one of the blenders.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

I will say that the Blendtec must have quite a bit of liquid to get the job done or it just spins it's wheels (literally), hell my wife had trouble making ice cream the other night because it got too thick and wouldn't blend
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Mike, Bob, can you think of any real shortcomings of the units you do have? Cavitation problems with lighter/thinner liquids? Any experience blending lots rehydrated seeds? (like from peppers). I'm looking to eliminate the step of a hand cranked food mill for some sauces.
Only regret so far is I don't have the counter space to leave it out all the time. It'd get more use that way. I've not made any lighter/thinner mixes in it so I can't comment on cavitation issues there.

I'll give it a shot this weekend with some rehydrated peppers this weekend to see how it performs. I'm guessing from the results I've seen with other things, those will get mixed up rather finely.