Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough
Default So my wife got paid today....

The problem is she got fired two weeks ago and given a paper check which we assumed was whatever money she had coming.

But, this morning I check my account and see she got another paycheck direct-deposited into our checking account.

I am 95% sure this was a mistake, but what now?

I have no desire of calling these a-holes and telling them they screwed up, nor am I willing to cut them a check to fix it.

I assume they are not allowed to take the money out of my account without permission but I really don't know.

For now I am considering it severence.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Christiel49

Default Re: So my wife got paid today....

Rick, if it was direct deposit they can reverse the transaction if it was in error (usually)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiel49 View Post
Rick, if it was direct deposit they can reverse the transaction if it was in error (usually)
This is true.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

I thought that might be the case so I am not going to touch it for now.

However, I would think there is a limited number of days for them to do that?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
I thought that might be the case so I am not going to touch it for now.

However, I would think there is a limited number of days for them to do that?
Statute of Limitations in most states is 2 years course of action but some states have banking laws in place that restrict such activity to 6 months. It's best, IMO, for you to alleviate any and all liability by calling them, even if you do not want to. The last thing you need is them breathing down your neck.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Christiel49

I agree
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post

I have no desire of calling these a-holes and telling them they screwed up, nor am I willing to cut them a check to fix it.
You may not like them, but y'all need to notify them and find out what's going on. It may be some sort of severance pay, but if not, do the right thing and return it.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

You may not want to, but what is the right thing to do? In fact, if they notice the error and take the $$ back, what will that say about your not notifying them. Who does that hurt if they decide to be even more spiteful and speak about that.

Or, look at it this way - someone teats you unjustly, does that entitle you get to even by doing some evil back to them? Doesn't that make you just like them?

Personally, I'd call them and ask about the deposit and see what exactly it is all about.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

It is still liseted as "Pending" on my account so I guess I will just wait and see if it gets fully processed before I worry about it.

Maybe the payroll a-hole will catch her mistake in time to just pull it back.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Check the stub on the paper check, it should detail what she was paid for. One possibility is that a check was cut for accumulated leave and/or severance, and the direct deposit may have been her normal payroll for that period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
someone teats you unjustly
Don't you hate when that happens?

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Some companies hold the first weeks pay as well.That could be what it is.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Unmentioned here, but by federal law, if you are separated from your company, they are required to re-pay you any money you have either a) invested in insurance or any sort of plan that expires on terminations (pro-rated of course) or b) pay you for any accumulated paid vacation you have accrued but not used (because technically they owe you for X days of paid leave).

Check your stub and the direct deposit, are they the same amount? It may be payment for a variety of other things, and not the typical 2 weeks pay.

I would personally call the company and let them know what's going on, but I wouldn't volunteer to help them in any way. If they made a mistake, they can have it fixed without your assistance, it just costs them assorted fees to fix it.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Unmentioned here, but by federal law, if you are separated from your company, they are required to re-pay you any money you have either a) invested in insurance or any sort of plan that expires on terminations (pro-rated of course) or b) pay you for any accumulated paid vacation you have accrued but not used (because technically they owe you for X days of paid leave).

Check your stub and the direct deposit, are they the same amount? It may be payment for a variety of other things, and not the typical 2 weeks pay.

I would personally call the company and let them know what's going on, but I wouldn't volunteer to help them in any way. If they made a mistake, they can have it fixed without your assistance, it just costs them assorted fees to fix it.
The amount is/was her usual every other week check. When they cut her loose the handed her a check saying this is what they owed her for whatever time she had worked past her last check.

This was the day after they sent her on a 100 mile trip to a conference with a group of other employees who knew she was getting the axe but played dumb for the afternoon while they changed her passwords and emptied her desk.

Four days after her boss lied to her face and said everything was fine and not too worry

When she went in the next day they finally told her and handed her the partial check.

In my mind, a totally unprofessional way of handling things.

They didn't let her say goodbye to anyone (she had several dozen seniors in residence that she has seen daily for a year. Several called her when they finally were told she was let go.)

So you can imagine, I am not in a hurry to call them about anything other than to tell them to go to hell.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

devil on the other shoulder

if the amount goes through close the account
open a new account
the new account will have a new number and it will make it a much larger pain in their ass to recover the money, if they ever catch their mistake.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post

open a new account
the new account will have a new number and it will make it a much larger pain in their ass to recover the money, if they ever catch their mistake.
James that sounded to easy. lol you sound like you have some experience here.......

As for the money i would call them and ask . As much as you might not want to, 2 wrongs dont make a right. In the end if it is a mistake and you keep the money you have only created a larger, possibly legal problem for yourself. and who knows you might find out its for something you didnt know about and you get to keep it guilt free.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post

open a new account
Many banks require you to maintain the account for 30 to 60 days past the last activity in order to 'clear' any uncashed checks or drafts. So, that no longer works.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

no, no criminal mischief here, but have had to close an account b/c of someone else being uncouth
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I have to agree that you need to call and find out what's up- as much as you don't want to. You can make all the snide remarks to them you want if they tell you it was an error, but at least you are doing the right thing and can close out this part of your wife's dealings with these people!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
mscales

I wuld do nothing. In a case of firing the final pay must be paid at end of the business day. But, usually, at a later date they pay any unpaid vacation time or sick leave if the company pays that out. The employer may also pay out any other retirement or benifits that they owe.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #20
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

I recall a scenario a few years ago where I gentlemen cased a Publishers Clearinghouse check, then put the money in to a safety deposit box. Thereby satisfying the laws requirement to not spend the money but also refuting the banks ability to reclaim said funds.

I don't know how it ended quite honestly but if you are feeling particularly uncharitable might be a consideration
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote