Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough
Default Cain F Torpedo - Blind Review

I did this review as part of a Blind Tasting Trade. As you will see my guess at the end is wrong, but this is a fun way to try cigars. Let me know what you think about my format or my review content. Thanks!

Cain F Torpedo - Blind Taste Review.

"Rainbow Punch"
Initial inspection - A very well constructed torpedo roughly 6" x 52. The oily wrapper is silky smooth and has only a few prominent veins. There is a strong barnyard aroma off of the wrapper, while the foot expresses a sweet tobacco scent. I can feel no soft spots it is even through out. The pre-light draw has a little resistance.

Initial Puffs - Right off the first puff there is a leathery spice that comes that is quickly followed by a roasted nut flavor. After the 1-2 punch of the flavors, they settle in together nicely.

1/3 - Although the draw is fine, I don't seem to be getting very much smoke. Right away I am thinking Perdomo. Although I haven't had a Perdomo in at least 5 years, this cigar brings me right back to the Perdomo Reserve Maduros and the Fresh Rolled Wheels that I used to smoke a ton of. I am still getting a nice mixture of leather, spice, and roasted nuts. Now when I add in a retrohale, I pick up some black pepper as well.

2/3 - The cigar is burning beautifully, it has developed a nice long ash and the burnline is consistent and razor thin. At this point the spice has really subsided and a sweetness has developed that leads me to believe that this maybe a maduro cigar. The finish on the cigar is a bit dry, which I think is more characteristic of the Oliva's than the Perdomos so I am not convinced that I know what this cigar is yet.

3/3 - Now the cigar has completely changed from its inital flavor profile, it is presenting a rich wood flavor that is complemented by a slight nutty sweetness. It has also really picked up in strength. The construction and burn have been perfect so far. Now nearing the end, the cigar has lost some of its complexity, while it is still really enjoyable the complexity of flavors seems to have given away to raw strength. It might be an indication that this cigar could improve with some age.

Final thoughts - This is a complex cigar that took me through a nice flavor experience. As it picked up its strength significantly at the end, it lost some of its flavors and nuances which was a little disappointing. Also, this is one of the drier finishes on a cigar that I have experienced. My only real complaint is that for how nicely the cigar drew, it didn't really produce the plumes of smoke that I might expect. I would definitely buy more and recommend them to others to try. This might also be a cigar that could benefit from some extra aging.

Guess - Oliva Serie V, one note: I have never had the Oliva Serie V before, but this is what I would expect it to taste like. Also I didn't go with Perdomo like I initially mentioned because of the ramp up of strength at the end.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cain F Torpedo - Blind Review

Great job on the blind tasting James. Cain is made by Oliva, so you aren't 100% wrong!
You're review format is just fine, no worries.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback. I have been smoking quite a few Oliva's these days so I chalk my guess up to that. One thing that I left out was how beautiful the wrapper on the Cain F was. This is true of every Cain I have smoked, so smooth.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I've had two of these. Found them to be strong but lacking in favor. Maybe aging will help.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote