Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Gurkha Beast

Back in the day when the ocean was still a jungle and I was a newbie, I took part in the Newbie Sampler Trade and got paired up with Massphatness. He send me a great sampler and amongst them there were a Gurkha Beauty and a Gurkha Beast. Due to my previous experiences with Gurkha I always skipped those whenever I was browsing my collection, looking for something to smoke, but I could not pass them anymore, I owe it to Vin to smoke these and as always write a review, so I lit up the Gurkha Beast.

The cigar 6x52 looks awesome, I like the Gurkha band and combined with the extra black & silver "BEAST" band and the cedar the looks are great. The wrapper is dark, smooth and oily. Once I release the cigar from the cellophane wrapper I smell a mild acidic straw. The construction feels good but the predraw is a bit on the loose side. The predraw leaves a mild peppery raisin flavor on the palate.

I can taste some wood with a hint of chocolate. The flavors are mild. After an inch I also get some straw and the flavors grow a bit in strength. The flavors are a bit musty.

Halfway the chocolate gets a bit stronger and becomes the main flavor. The strength of the flavors is now medium. After ⅔ the wood is the main flavor again and less musty. The chocolate is now a supporting flavor. After that the cigar gets more herbal.

This cigar lasted me almost 90 minutes and gave me a poor amount of thin smoke. The ash is firm and light colored. The burn is good. There is a lot of nicotine build up in the cigar, I got a huge flame when I purged. This cigar is mild to medium flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, but then again, I say that about every Gurkha I smoked before so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 6 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gurkha beauty

Crap, this is the Gurkha Beast. Can one of the mods please change the topic title?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Default Re: Gurkha Beast

Thank you Dave
Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

You had me confused for sure. The Beast is definitly more potent than the Beauty.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I had myself confused too Michael. The beauty is the next review, already smoked it and have the written review in front of me. Now I need to transfer it to a digital format and upload the pics.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Got one of these in a c.com sampler - it's been lurking in the bottom of my humi for 2 years, taunting me, saying it's stronger than me. I mostly just tell it to shut the hell up, and remind it that it is a Gurkha.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Great review.

I haven't tried one of these, but I haven't really liked many of the Gurkhas I've tried, so I don't know how motivated I am to go down that route.