Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Illusione ~mj12~

This cigar is named after the Majestic 12, a committee of scientists, military leaders, and government officials that had the task to investigate UFO's. The Illusione ~mj12~ is a toro grande, 6x54 and a Nicaraguan puro, from first generation criollo 98 and corojo 99 tobacco. The cigar are produced in Honduras.

The packaging of the cigar is quite unique, it is completely wrapped in tin foil. Now I am not sure, but it could be a reference to the tin foil hats and the name sake of the cigar. Once unwrapped I see a nice dark and oily wrapper with just 2 veins. The construction feels good and after punching I get a great predraw that tastes like straw and raisins.

I taste earth and coffee with some sweetness. The flavors are medium strong but smooth and friendly. After two inch the coffee disappears and I taste sweet herbs and earth. The sweetness is dominant.

Halfway the aftertaste is herbal without the sweetness. The main flavor still has the sweetness. After ¾ I get some leather in the background and at ⅔ I also taste some wood.

The smoke time of the 6x54 toro gordo is about 80 minutes. I got a lot of thick smoke and a good draw. I have no complaints about the burn too. The ash is light colored and firm. This cigar is medium flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I would like a few more of these

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Illusione ~mj12~

Forgot to say, this one was gifted to me by the owner of Pheasant Cigars in Las Vegas who shared a box of these with everybody at E.L.V.I.S. in june 2009
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I liked the MJ12. The only problem I got was after the first 1/3 there was not much change and it got a little boring. I seem to prefer the smaller R.G. Illusiones and Epernays. just my
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

One of my favorite Illusione - Nice review!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie. I have enjoyed the few I have smoked.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Nice review, I think it's time for me to spark up another one of these. Thanks for the inspiration.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
MarioF

I had one last night, it was the newer one not wrapped in foil. I enjoyed it, pretty consistent throughout, nice draw, good even burn but has mentioned above didn't change much, it ended the way it started. I have one more to smoke but not sure if I would pay 9 dollars again. The dark look and the wonderful smell made me pick them out.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I didn't think I would like these due to the larger ring gauge but they are actually really good.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Funny, I just think they taste like a ring ding with some cedar. F-ing delicious! but as said above it really doesn't change much but they sure are tasty.

I tried the small one (38 or 68) and that was one lil' firecracker.

ie reviw Ferdie.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review Ferdie. I wasn't impressed with the two I had.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I would like a few more of these
Nice review, I'm smoking one as I type this.