Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Camacho black band A (connecticut monarch)

Some time ago, Camacho cigars made a viral advertising campaign called ‘the black band project’ that was supposed to take care of all the prejudice there is about Cuban cigars versus Non Cuban cigars. Everybody, well, almost everybody as the demand was bigger than Camacho expected and there were problems with the shipping, that signed up and watched the video’s got 3 cigars for free.

The three cigars are packed in a nice cardboard box and have “specially selected and hand rolled for Mr.X” on the band, to stay in the style of the viral. You can see the difference kinds of wrappers used and the bands mention an A, B or C and on the website you can check which one is which. The A turns out to be a Connecticut, in a 5 x 50 robusto size called the Monarcha.

The Camacho Connecticut is made with a Connecticut wrapper from Ecuador, Honduran binder and filler from Honduras and the Dominican Republic. The wrapper is nice, light brown colored with a silky feel to it. The construction doesn’t feel good, I can feel a lot of soft spots, a sign that this cigar is under filled. Because of that I decided to punch instead of cut, and the predraw confirms my feelings, the draw is way too light and leaves me with a mix of spices and a bit of chocolate. The cigar has a strong hay aroma.

After lighting that hay flavor that I got in the predraw is the dominant flavor with mild chocolate as support. The cigar is mild spicy and slowly some spices become noticeable. Halfway into the cigar the hay is gone and all I can taste is a creamy flavor of spices and at the end that flavor is supported by some nuts.

The cigar started with a crooked burn but after a correction it was just fine. The ash is firm and medium gray, and as you can see from picture 3, the cigar produces a lot of smoke. Unfortunately, due to the bad construction of the cigar, the draw was way too light. The strength of the flavors are medium to full, and the strength of the cigars is medium.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, although I liked the flavors

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 5 / 10
Draw: 5 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
SmokeyNL

Default Re: Camacho black band A (connecticut monarch)

Nice review, I had cigar B a few days ago which was pretty good, cigar A might not be my taste due to the wrapper, but we will see, it was free after all.
Good review, thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdinand!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ferdie! This was one of the cigars I PIFed along, so I never had the opportunity to try it.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I smoked this today on the way to work. I enjoyed the first half inch and then tossed it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing. By the time I had signed up to receive these...they were all gone. Curious about stick C!!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

I really enjoyed the A, but I haven't had the B or C. Thanks Ferdie...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Thanks for sharing. By the time I had signed up to receive these...they were all gone. Curious about stick C!!
You can find the review of the B here and the C here or on my blog.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Ferdie. I got these a year ago or so and smoked the first one, the A, yesterday. Your experience is very similar to mine, except mine had no construction problems whatsoever: clipped perfectly, burned *very* straight, and drew fine, if slightly easy. The flavors, as you note, were quite nice -- some mild spices on top of creamy chocolate and nuts. I was pleasantly surprised, because I'd had a Camacho Connecticut a few months ago and wasn't that impressed with it. Perhaps the smaller vitola is better? perhaps the year in my humi allowed it to improve?