Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #4021
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Two weekends in a row for the Memphis Zoo. Sunday morning, just as it was for Walmart in Meridian, MS,
is the time to get OUT and do things in Memphis. JUST so fewer idiots walking around on the street. Church
has em for the hour. Unless they go to Sunday School too, and I can get well over an hour away from em.

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #4022
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

That lion looks as though he just had a nice bath and shampoo. Wonder whose job that is?!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #4023
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Lion looks like he's ready for a date!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #4024
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #4025
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 09-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #4026
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #4027
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #4028
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Dang, Ron, thanks for the Mom shot. Well worth scrolling to the end.

Likely no one cares, but I will share that these are combo of a Nikon D600 (for the resolution) and a
Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI, and a D7000 with a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AI, both manual focus lenses.
The 300mm has chromatic aberration issues, but I am learning to avoid the hot spots that bring it on.
Luckily both these lenses meter fine on those bodies. I just have to dial in the Exposure Compensation
to keep the 300mm in check.

This lady is such a good model....but she quits too early and takes naps.

This little guy is such a star. Pretty soft shot, but cute, so I included it.

Last edited by OLS; 09-30-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #4029
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Got back from a wedding in Arizona over the weekend, wish I had a good camera to take better pictures of the view from the clubhouse the reception was at. Guess I'll have to settle for cell pictures and memories

Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #4030
weems
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
weems is on a distinguished road

I sell real estate so thats pretty much all I take pics of haha!

Here are a couple of my most recent sale.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:27 AM   #4031
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Got back from a wedding in Arizona over the weekend, wish I had a good camera to take better pictures of the view from the clubhouse the reception was at. Guess I'll have to settle for cell pictures and memories

Really nice shot, Ben
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #4032
OLS
Suck It

I was trying to convince a friend that the D200 he bought from me was NOT a 5hi++y camera, and that all it
needed was a decent lens on it to shine. I sell DSLRs with a starter lens to keep the costs down and make sure
that they can start shooting right from the post office. And some people have even upgraded to a better lens at
the time of purchase. I told him that while he was right, the D200 struggles at high ISOs owing to it's age,
at no time should he ever believe his camera sucks. He wanted to do like me, shoot in bars at night. But
by the time he was ready to buy, all my D90s were sold, my D80, a few D50s, some D70s. I had a D40 and a
D200....that was his choice. I warned him that I was not selling him a 5hi++y camera, but that I was selling him
the best model I had LEFT. The price was right, so he didn't really argue until he couldn't get a decent shot off
inside a bar. I can only imagine what was going through his head then.

SO I took out the oldest thing I had, which happened to be a D100 I traded with Shark for, and put a nice
vintage Nikkor 50mm on it. I was confident it would do fine, and it did. But its easy to forget now that everything
has passed this model by, what a great sensor the early Nikons had. SO LARGE. SO FEW PIXELS. (really should
have performed better in low light, lol.) The lens really helped the photo appear to be higher resolution. Everyone
should know that you USE bodies and INVEST in lenses. This should make that clear. The pics are just testing shots,
but I was happy with the sharpness. The color and contrast could use a bump, but I did not want to edit these.

Last edited by OLS; 10-03-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #4033
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

More fall colors:

Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #4034
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #4035
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #4036
OLS
Suck It

Looks like I was there, Ron....this year however, I am going with a plan to have all the trees RETAIN
their leaves over the winter, then on one day in February, all the leaves can blow away at one time in a
far more organized manner. I might not even have to rake if it blows hard enough.

Everyone knows I love a cheap camera, but I recently found out the literal interpretation of a
concept I had read several times before and never grasped. I was shooting in yet another dark bar over
the weekend, and I had my ISO set to 5000, too high, but I needed the gain badly. I just bought a friend
a Nikon D3200 because he wanted badly to be able to shoot the same kinds of things that I am into these
days. I told him that was the best he was going to do for now, High ISO is expensive in current-gen cameras.
He lucked into this one for $225.

But he only had a D200, which might as well be blind at night. Great camera, feature-packed, but incapable of
high ISO settings. I had read Ken Rockwell saying dozens of times "this entry-level camera does not allow you
to adjust ISO in 1/2 or 1/3 stops." Ehh, whatever.....I don't even know what that MEANS to be perfectly honest.

So as my friend was struggling in this bar light, I told him to just go to ISO 5000 and his camera would be fine.
He said "I don't HAVE a 5000" I said "Sure you do..." and took it from him and only then, after years of reading
the same thing on all these cheaper Nikons, did I see what that meant. He did not have 4000, 5000, none of my
staple settings for difficult light. He had 3200 and 6400, and I knew that 6400 was going to be a noise-fest. 3200
and 6400.....not enough and too much. Thanks a lot. So I told him to hold at 3200 and be VERY STILL when you
shoot a pic. I realize now that was probably bad advice. But a man needs to suffer a few bad nights to understand
what his camera will do and what it will not.

Never having really BOUGHT a "cheap Nikon", I had no idea that all cameras did not have half and 1/3 stops
where mine did. That was a funny moment Friday night, when I finally saw the meaning of it all.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #4037
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Also, an interesting cactus inside of a conservatory:

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #4038
OLS
Suck It

Colonel Mustard, with The Cactus, in the Conservatory?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #4039
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

What would be your first Clue?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #4040
OLS
Suck It

I realized I had put this in the bucket but not used it......good morning animal lovers.