Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
iRiSh
In the Belly Of the Beast

Trading: (0)
iRiSh is on a distinguished road
Default The Term "Yank"

It is often used to describe a person from the United States of America in countries around the world.

Where does it originate from? Yankee?

Do you find it a Derogatory term?

Irish people are refered to as "paddies" by some people in nations such as britain. To me it entirely depends on who is saying it (friend or stranger) and what context its said in wether its offensive or not
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Term "Yank"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Yank is shortened form of Yankee....never considered it derogatory.

As with anything, it obviously could be made derogatory. I suppose it would depend mainly on speaker and context.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

More specifically a person from the north, at least when you're in the south. Born in Michigan and moved to TN I get called a yankee from time to time. Doesn't bother me. I don't think it's derogatory. Surely no one is offended by it. There are worse things to call a person.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Bothers me...I'm a Mets fan.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Bothers me...I'm a Mets fan.
Yeah, youre just jealous..
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
More specifically a person from the north, at least when you're in the south. Born in Michigan and moved to TN I get called a yankee from time to time. Doesn't bother me. I don't think it's derogatory. Surely no one is offended by it. There are worse things to call a person.
Yep, moving to Charlotte from Long Island I hear Yankee from time to time or Damn Yankee because I have no intentions of leaving. Doesn't bother me but when someone I am familiar with says it to me I will sometimes break balls and respond with Stupid Hillbilly or F'in Redneck which does usually offend. Needless to say the Yankee comments usually stop after throwing those terms at them a couple of times.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

My friends call me a Yankee cracker. And proud of it!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly wasn't a term of endearment during the Civil War. After the war, Yankee soldiers earned the respect of southern soldiers for the most part, and the word changed it's meaning dramatically. Before the fighting began, they literally thought that one southern boy could take 20 yanks because they were all girls.
Southerners strongly disliked (or downright hated) northerners at that time because of their lifestyles, industry, and supposed crudeness and lack of culture, and the term they used to express that was "Yankees" or "Yanks".
Granted, that's been watered way down over time, and who really cares about getting called a name? I sure don't. I like John's (neoflex) response. That's a good way to put it away if it needs putting away. A person can certainly tell if it's an insult.
But between friends, it's a harmless tease. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I have no Idea what you guys are talking about... being from the Northwest we pertty much stay out of all that goofieness.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Yep, moving to Charlotte from Long Island I hear Yankee from time to time or Damn Yankee because I have no intentions of leaving. Doesn't bother me but when someone I am familiar with says it to me I will sometimes break balls and respond with Stupid Hillbilly or F'in Redneck which does usually offend. Needless to say the Yankee comments usually stop after throwing those terms at them a couple of times.
Exactly. I moved here at first and had some old guy give me crap and tell me you either are visiting and you're a yankee or moved here, bought a house and you are a damn yankee. I told him we're f*cking renting so what does that make us? He just laughed, never had thought of that response. But yeah they'll get offended before you do every time.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

But iRiSh is talking about the term "Yank" as used to describe all Americans, as used outside the U.S., not the distinction made between people on the North side of the Mason-Dixon line within the U.S..

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

When someone across the pond uses it's not negative, same as when we use the term brit. People from the south on the other hand, mostly it's just used for some friendly ribbing, but does have a negative connotation.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
My friends call me a Yankee cracker. And proud of it!
I was recently called a slack ass cracker and am not sure if I should be proud....
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
But iRiSh is talking about the term "Yank" as used to describe all Americans, as used outside the U.S., not the distinction made between people on the North side of the Mason-Dixon line within the U.S..
I call many of my friends from Great Britain "Brits" and they tend to refer to Americans as Yanks. Back in the day when I lived in Seattle and did a lot of rock climbing at Squamish in BC, almost everyone there who wasn't an American would call you "Yank", if they recognized you were an American. I've heard it used in insults (all you yanks are wankers) but never heard the term itself used in a way that was derogatory.

To put it another way, yank isn't bad in the same way that mudblood is in Potterville.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Well im not from the south it doesn't bother me at all.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Yep, moving to Charlotte from Long Island I hear Yankee from time to time or Damn Yankee because I have no intentions of leaving.
There it is. To a Southerer, a Yankee is a Northerner who comes south to visit. A damn Yankee is one who comes south to live.

Hey, we're still p!$$ed off about those carpetbaggers during the so-called "Reconstruction".

But that's speaking domestically of course. As for international usage, I don't believe any reasonable American would be offended being called a Yank. Yet admittedly, there are hoards of unreasonable Americans, so this is just an opinion.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Spent a lot of time overseas and have been called a Yank many times, never bothered me. I always felt it was kind of endearing.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I might be offended if someone called me a Yankee, but that's just cause my Twinkies can't beat em to save their lives.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Repeat for sh!ts and grins.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

its probably used as a derogatory work outside the US.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote