Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a Handgun
Springfield XD 8 14.04%
Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm 9 15.79%
Glock 17 26 45.61%
Other 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Opinion on these Handguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
I was issued the Glock almost 12 years ago and then, I thought this was one of the better semi-auto's out there.....BUT, we Detroit Police Dept, changed over to the S&W MP40 and I love it. I have shot expert with the Glock since I was issued it back in 1997, usually scoring no less than 237 out of 250.

Since changing to the M&P, my highest score was 249 out of 250. I love the interchangable hand grips and my groups are more consistence.

I vote for the S&W MP all day. Just my
See Justin, we are smarter than you J/K Bro.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

the most important thing is how the gun feels in YOUR hand. the best way to make this decision is to actually fire each weapon. holding each will give a good idea but nothing beats a live fire to determine which weapon is the best fit for you
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #23
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I voted for the M&P. This line is very reliable and it's what I have experience using so I may be partial to them. I have an M&P40 and the gun has operated absolutely flawlessly. Probably over 1,000 rounds through it and not a single jam or FTF. To me if your using it as a carry weapon reliability is what you want as top priority. I couldn't imagine anything worse than finally needing that weapon as your first line of defense and having it fail to go boom. Glocks are reliable too but I have no first hand experience with them.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Depends on your shooting stance. Test fire each (or at least hold and aim) before coming to a conclusion. It won't be much benefit to you to hear it from a bunch of people with different opinions. You've already settled on 3 great platforms.
try to get some range time with each, sometimes putting holes in paper tells way more about how a gun fits how you shoot than anything else
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

I'm getting a handgun soon and have been between the S&W and the Spring XD for a while. Almost positive I'm going with the S&W
Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #26
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Here are the two I carry, just to push you over the edge!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m&p.jpg (77.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Are you planning on carrying any of these big guns? I can't imagine it on me.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Here are the two I carry, just to push you over the edge!!!
Very nice. Full Size and Compact!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

GLOCK all the way...

I have the Glock 30 & 36 both 45 cal.

Glock 30: Sub-compact, making it ideal for concealed carry
Glock 36: A slim-down version of the 30 & single-stack magazine

Both are kick A$$ handguns....
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #30
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Are you planning on carrying any of these big guns? I can't imagine it on me.
All are made in a compact model which are very concealable, not as good as my S&W Airweight .38 which I can carry in a pocket but still are easy to carry and conceal, my M&P compact is a little over 4.5" long, just a hair longer than the Glock 26.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #31
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Well he mentioned full size models.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #32
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Well he mentioned full size models.
Gotcha, yeah full size are a bit hard to carry.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

My first gun was a G17 and it was a bit ridiculous to try and carry it.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

I have three Glocks in all three frame sizes; the little 26 in 9mm, the mid sized 23 in .40, and the full sized 21 in .45 ACP. I have all three of my pistols set up with Meprolight sights, and the factory 5 lb. connector. I can grab any one of them, and the sight picture / trigger pull is almost identical (save for sight radius). I have shot the crap out of these pistols, and really like them. Having said that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
the most important thing is how the gun feels in YOUR hand. the best way to make this decision is to actually fire each weapon. holding each will give a good idea but nothing beats a live fire to determine which weapon is the best fit for you
This hits the nail on the head. There is a sort of "zen" that you and a handgun have to have, if you are to function as a reliable team. While Glocks and my hands get along very well, there is no substitute for renting each of them at the local range and putting some lead downrange. After doing that, I think the choice for you will be obvious.

Quality wise, I would venture that they are all probably on par with each other. Shoot them all, then you tell us.

Or, just buy a Glock and be done with it........

Cheers - N.F.H.

Edited to add - I have to say out of all of them, for carry, the mid sized 23 in .40 would be my choice. .40 is a pretty darn hot round, and the 23 brings 13+1 of them to the table. YMMV, etc......

Last edited by BlindedByScience; 04-18-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added a comment.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I personally hate the glock frame more than life itself. They were not meant to be held by the human hand.

The best thing to do though is either shoot each of them or at least go to a gun shop and decided which fits your hands best.
I don't hate them, I just won't buy one. I agree, the Glock is about as ergonomic as a cinderblock, but that's my personal opinion. I'm a 1911 man myself, Kimber to be more specific. As the others have said, you have to find what you like.

If you plan on carrying, that too is a big thing to consider. A lot of people go out and get compact Glocks and other short-barrel double-stack handguns. I prefer the single-stack 1911 because it is thin and easy to carry with an inside the waistband (IWB) holster. Many of the double-stack weapons are not so easy to carry that way. I prefer an IWB for concealed carry, so the 1911 works well for me. If you prefer middle of the back, cross-draw, shoulder, or many other holsters, your options will vary accordingly.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #36
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Here is my street enforcement arsenal.

HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Depends on which one fits your hand and operates in a way that feels comfortable to you. Even though I am not an M&P fan they are all good quality but the one that fits me may not fit you so my preference does not matter.
This.

Go to a gun shop/range where you can shoot a bunch and see what works for you best.

I have carried a Glock 17 on duty for almost 20 years because it is our mandatory issue gun. I don't even think about carrying it off duty, so that tells you what I think of that gun (for me, of course).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #38
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Before I carried, I had a 357 Magnum for home defense.

Once I started carrying, it wasn't practical to carry such a large gun and being a revolver fan, the Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight 38 was a perfect fit for my small frame body.

I know it's only 5 shots, but if I need more, I am in a prolonged gunfight and nothing will probably help.

There is no comparing the reliability
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #39
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
This.

Go to a gun shop/range where you can shoot a bunch and see what works for you best.

I have carried a Glock 17 on duty for almost 20 years because it is our mandatory issue gun. I don't even think about carrying it off duty, so that tells you what I think of that gun (for me, of course).
+2 Go find out what works best for you. Most indoor ranges rent or find buddies to let you try theirs.

Then go buy a 1911.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #40
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
+2 Go find out what works best for you. Most indoor ranges rent or find buddies to let you try theirs.

Then go buy a 1911.
I agree to shoot some and find out what one you like, but I can't advocate the use of a 1911 as a self defense weapon, yes they are sexy and lots of fun to shoot, but I have seen far to many of them goes toes up on the range under optimal conditions, I still don't know why some of my co-workers choose to carry those things. My .02