Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #21
mrreindeer

Default Re: THE official DIVE thread! SCUBA-DIVERS uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
I am going to Guam for 4 months starting in October and plan on getting certified and doing a lot of diving there. I have heard it is some of the best diving in the world...I am really excited about it for sure. Any advice or specific things I need to check out, diving related, please PM. Thanks in advance
Do it, do it! From what GoatLocker says, it sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foomanto View Post
haven't been diving seance 1996 got certified when i was Okinawa and did most of my diving over there. also been in the Philippines and Thailand and a couple of places in the states

there are good spots all over Okinawa you wont be disappointed if you get stationed there
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
I certified in Guam back in 88 and was there for 5 years. Great diving and lots of places nearby. Was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years and had a great time diving there. I also take my gear with me when I deploy, so I've logged dives in the Philipines, Thailand, Bali, UAE, Jordan, Acapulco and Cozumel as well as several Islands in Micronesia......Once you are comfortable under water, try night diving. It's awesome...
Awesome....you've been to some amazing spots! In and around L.A., I've dived Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Catalina Island, Malibu and Newport Beach. Then outside of L.A....Kauai, Hawaii, Maui, British Virgin Islands, Cozumel, Aruba, Belize and Mykonos.

And night dives are awesome....I've only done night dives in Redondo Beach & Catalina Island.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
I didn't even know you could do it online....the pool work & open water dives are part of the Certification so I'm not sure how they manage certifying you or even partially certifying you without pool/open water dives paired with the instruction...and when you go to that island paradise and want to dive, you'd need to either do a Resort Course at a resort (for a nominal fee & they rent you the gear & have a set, rather shallow (about 20 feet), area that you swim around to get your whistle whet), or pay to get certified while there. You can't just rent gear and go to any site on your own because shops won't rent to you without a C-card. I don't blame you about LI divin'!
I checked their site and there's a Padi shop about 10-15 minutes from my apt, so I'll probably just pop in there to ask about it, and look at gear. Not in any rush right now, as it will likely be next summer at the earliest before I am looking at actually doing the certification.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #23
Benwoo

I was certified in Washington when I lived there. I'm now in northern California. Haven't been in the water for oh about 2yrs now since I moved away from my dive buddy. Have all the gear sitting in my parents barn, tanks still aired up and dry suit hanging in the closet. I'm hoping to hit Monterey eventually and go kelp diving. I also have an inner ear issue where I get vertigo pretty easily when I ascend. It was quite disconcerting getting a bit hit at about 60ft after our 95ft dive for our deep dive class.

Chris
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
mrreindeer

Man, I want to dive Monterey badly! I hear it's a little rough (rough seas) out there but I'd like to try it. Hell, I went to high school & lived on the Monterey Peninsula for 4 years but didn't get my start diving until about 5 years ago.

Chris - Make sure you get your gear checked out by your dive shop before you head out again....two years is a long time to have tanks sittin'! And you're a lucky guy...drysuit, man, that'd surely make Cali diving easier!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #25
stinkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: dan
Trading: (2)
stinkie is on a distinguished road

i hate to say i'm old but i got certified in 1976. i'v been in all 5 great lakes the atlantic and the carabeian as well as the caves of notheren fla. i haven't been in the water since 2000 my gills have grown closed. i am certified open water, advanced ow, dive master,photography canvern and open water instuctor. i have more than 250 hour logged. also advanced wreck diver.

stinkie
stinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
mrreindeer

Nice! I'd love to check out the caverns in FL and the cenotes in Mexico! There's the Yukon wreck out in San Diego I'd love to hit too but I need a drysuit first I think and I'd feel more comfortable with a wreck cert although you can circumnavigate the Yukon without one.

Stinkie, you really should get out again...stuff's come a long way from:

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
stinkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: dan
Trading: (2)
stinkie is on a distinguished road

i've got one for sale if your interested . it's a posinden unisuit med .

stinkie
stinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
fbillings14

Default Re: THE official DIVE thread! SCUBA-DIVERS unite!

Now this some were that i might just fit in cigars and diving nothing makes life better.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #29
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Rescue diver/solo diver here need to get back into it been taking a bit of a break.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #30
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

Do diving for work sometimes ,pulling props and shafts,boat bottom inspections, my favorite part of diving is the watches
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #31
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Dove key largo beginning of the year, was just beautiful, here are a few pics...I was using a desposible underwater camera that sucked, so bar with my pics, i now have a nice sealife i bought from another botl, that i cant wait to use...
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Islamorada last year and it was so cold no one would take me out diving (and I didn't blame them a bit). So I bought a bunch of cold gear with the money I saved and froze to death snorkeling among all the dead stuff. Truly was amazing the amount of stuff that died on both the ocean side and gulf side in the keys.
We went to the dominican this year and I didn't even get to snorkel. The rip was so bad that the red flags were out the whole time we were there. Two days prior to our arrival, our hotel lost two guests to the surf.
We'll see what next year brings.