Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #61
SteveA
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
SteveA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official Asylum Fly-fishing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Anyone doing any fishing lately?
Trout fishing is back, here in the Seattle area! Went out 2 weeks ago to one of my favorite lowland lakes, got all set up and realized I'd forgotten my waders. Cursed a blue streak and headed home where I grabbed my waders and hit a very urban lake 5 minutes from my house. Caught 21 recently planted rainbows and went home satisfied.

Yesterday after work I decided to try that old favorite lake again. Loaded up and, vest (check), rod (check), reels (check), fins (check). Jumped in the car, started her up, took one last look around, and SH1T! Almost forgot my boots. Let's see, first the body and then the mind? Anyway, got to the lake, with all my gear, and had a great 3 hours where I picked up 9 healthy trout, 8-10".

Got home feeling all refreshed after a tough week at work and pulled a Juan Lopez Seleccion #1 out of the humidor and poured a healthy snifter of Bulleit Bourbon. Nice finish to a tough week at work. Hope your weekends are starting out as well as mine did. Here's to a long productive fishing season in '09!
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #62
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Man, you're killing me

I'm doing a Low Country/Crawfish Boil this afternoon, and celebrating my wifes birthday tomorrow, but next weekend, lookout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Trout fishing is back, here in the Seattle area! Went out 2 weeks ago to one of my favorite lowland lakes, got all set up and realized I'd forgotten my waders. Cursed a blue streak and headed home where I grabbed my waders and hit a very urban lake 5 minutes from my house. Caught 21 recently planted rainbows and went home satisfied.

Yesterday after work I decided to try that old favorite lake again. Loaded up and, vest (check), rod (check), reels (check), fins (check). Jumped in the car, started her up, took one last look around, and SH1T! Almost forgot my boots. Let's see, first the body and then the mind? Anyway, got to the lake, with all my gear, and had a great 3 hours where I picked up 9 healthy trout, 8-10".

Got home feeling all refreshed after a tough week at work and pulled a Juan Lopez Seleccion #1 out of the humidor and poured a healthy snifter of Bulleit Bourbon. Nice finish to a tough week at work. Hope your weekends are starting out as well as mine did. Here's to a long productive fishing season in '09!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #63
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I love fly fishing, been doing to for 30+ years. Mostly trout, but now I live close to a large lake, can see it from my front windows, so I'm doing a lot more warm water fly fishing these days. I plan to go out this afternoon for some sunnies. I think a fish fry may be in order for dinner tonight.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #64
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Looks Yummy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I love fly fishing, been doing to for 30+ years. Mostly trout, but now I live close to a large lake, can see it from my front windows, so I'm doing a lot more warm water fly fishing these days. I plan to go out this afternoon for some sunnies. I think a fish fry may be in order for dinner tonight.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #65
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome Black Dog. I have had the largemouth bug here in Arkansas as of late. Big Woolies and Clousers are the fly of choice. A Zonker for getting deeper and the mouser or popper for evening top water action.

We have had a chit ton of rain here, so fishing creeks and rivers is a no go. Been tying up flies for this season and looking at new boats. Also got a set of the Redington RedFly2 outfits for the clients coming. Helluva rod for a great price.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #66
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Hey folks John from Cape Cod here, light tackle fishing is one of my passions.
The stripers just came back yesterday, the boat is ready but it is pouring and blowing 20 kts.
I will be out tomorrow if the wx breaks.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #67
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

Trinidad

Gotta bring this up. We are raising money for a Reel Recovery retreat here in Arkansas. Just found out Temple Fork Outfitters is making a special Reel Recovery rod. They have similiar rods for Casting for Recovery and another charity group. This is a charity that is very close to my heart. Just had to pass it along.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #68
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Great day of flyfishing on Cape Cod with a bunch of bright new arrivals.
The fish were running around 28 inches, I had a blast with poppers and clousers .
Bent Fly
Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

RyJ

I took a lot of pix but only a few came out using cell phone and bright sunlight I was just guessing on the pic.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #70
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

A good thing...as long as you're fishing!

I gotta get outta here! Lead a canoe trip last Saturday and mad a couple of casts, but with 26 guys in the fleet, it was more trouble than it was worth. Gonna try to sneak out this weekend or next though for some serious fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Bent Fly
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #71
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Glad to hear someone is getting out there.....I think I need to make a more concerted effort.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #72
SteveA
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (3)
SteveA is on a distinguished road

Went trout fishing after work last Friday. Luckily my buddy was an old hand at bass fishing. The trout fishing sucked but the bass fishing rocked. Fun, technical fishing from a float tube, casting into the debris close to shore. Those fish can fight, but sometimes they give up a little too easily. My first really successful bass fishing trip.

Got up the next morning and headed to my local shop that was having a rare sale on rods. Cast both the Sage and G Loomis 5 weights but the Sage just felt better to me. Picked up a VT2 at 25% off. This weekend is my last chance to fish with it as the next 2 weeks are booked. After that though, it's RIVER time! Yeah, baby! Gonna be a good year.

p.s. Already have fishing plans for 3 days on The Lochsa in Idaho this August, followed up with 3 days on The Boulder and possibly a day on the Missouri in Montana this September. Yeeehaaaaaa!

Last edited by SteveA; 06-17-2009 at 06:54 PM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #73
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

Trinidad

The VT2 line is great. There are, honestly, very few rods that feel as great as a Sage. Alot of people dog them for the price, but they are the Ferrari of fly rods. I have been looking at a 7'6" 3wt in the VT2. Something for smaller warm water streams around here. Probably have one of the Bluegill BASS rods in my future as well.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #74
ChicagoWhiteSox

Well, I finally took the dive. About 2 months ago, I bought a cheap cabelas fly rod/reel combo and learned how to cast and really enjoyed it. I got hooked and about a week ago I bought an Orvis battenkill Mid arbor reel and their streamline fly rod. Now im itching to get out and fish with my new set up. Im going to be fishing mostly warm water; bluegills, crappies, bass, and pike. Wish me luck this summer
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #75
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post

Very nice Warren I can taste them now
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #76
ChicagoWhiteSox

Anyone have any suggestions on flys for bass? I only have 2 bass bugs and Im looking for more. My line is 8 weight.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #77
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

Trinidad

Clousers, zonkers, mouse patterns, frog patterns, leech patterns, woolie buggers, and crayfish. I mainly fish warm water and use a variety of these. The bass lures a tad more pricey, but necessary. I have been tying alot of rabbit fur and pine squirrel patterns. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about setup or use. I have an 8wt Sage ZAxis that I use for lakes. I use my 5wt's for creeks or rivers. Also, what areas are you fishing? That will determine colors and such.

My cell number
eight seven zero - five seven seven - two seven eight one

Zack is the name.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #78
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
Clousers, zonkers, mouse patterns, frog patterns, leech patterns, woolie buggers, and crayfish. I mainly fish warm water and use a variety of these. The bass lures a tad more pricey, but necessary. I have been tying alot of rabbit fur and pine squirrel patterns. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about setup or use. I have an 8wt Sage ZAxis that I use for lakes. I use my 5wt's for creeks or rivers. Also, what areas are you fishing? That will determine colors and such.

My cell number
eight seven zero - five seven seven - two seven eight one

Zack is the name.
I will be fishing in Northern Wisconsin on various lakes. The water is fairly dark. What sizes/weight of flys should I be using for my line? I have 2 bass bugs but havent used them yet. They are fairly big.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #79
adampc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Looks Yummy!!
yum
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #80
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
I will be fishing in Northern Wisconsin on various lakes. The water is fairly dark. What sizes/weight of flys should I be using for my line? I have 2 bass bugs but havent used them yet. They are fairly big.
How about pm'ing me your address and I will get some out to you. As far as sizes....all depends. Most of what I throw on the river for smallies is size 6 to size 2. That pretty well covers smallmouth and a good portion of the largemouth. Check out the Bass section in the Orvis catalog. Also look at the streamers for trout. Alot of your flies will cross over from cold to warm water. Also check out the Outdoorsman's Banter thread in the banter section. There are alot of fellow fly fisherman there.