Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #61
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rush Limbuaugh's recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Actually, every Dominican Cohiba I've had has been average-good. The kicker is they have all been gifts, I wouldn't pay the prices on those things though. I think if General priced them around the La Gloria or even Macanudo, they wouldn't get such a bad rep. The cigar really suffers because of the name I think.

*Thread jack, off*

Its not even about the name for me, its the Padron like price tag for a crap cigar.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #62
SteveA
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
SteveA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Here's the skinny on our man Rush Limbaugh. I have played golf with him at the Palm Beach private golf course with some other "big tickets" who he tends to play with often. The only reason I got to play with him is because the friend I have his Dad is a real big ticket and Rush thinks it's a big treat to play with him. Anyway, everytime I was around this guy he is a complete narcissist and you'd think he'd tone it down when he's off the clock and not on his program. He loves Partagas #10 when he's golfing and he is the biggest windbag I have ever seen. He didn't know me from Adam but he assumed that since I was friends with the son and Dad that I was another big ticket,,,so for 18 holes he continues to size me up to see who I am, what I do, how much money I make, who I know,,,blah blah blah.

If there was a question while we're all playing he knows every answer to any question we would talk about. He knows everything about sports since he was the announcer for the Chiefs way back,,he knows Carl Peterson very well,,blah blah blah. This guy for 4 hours talked non stop about himself and whenever possible I would hit my ball in the other direction just to keep away from him. Rush Limbaugh is the biggest windbag I have ever been around,,,period!!

Rush a windbag? I don't believe it!
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #63
beamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Its not even about the name for me, its the Padron like price tag for a crap cigar.
agreed
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #64
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Arturo Fuente are hard to find? I can give him the name of a couple of B&Ms that are well stocked (sorry, no Opus X)
That’s what I thought.

The list is a joke. The only cigars on it that I agree with are the AF and Padrons. I hope he received money instead of cigars to promote the rest.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #65
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

I dont listen to Rush often, but I honestly cant listen to him for longer then ten minutes without getting angry. My impression on him is that he says one thing and does another. I am also liberal / independant in bent, in case anyone is wondering.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #66
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
just pinch it here} <=====> {here and it will split down the middle. I have herd of people punching a chisel too.
yea growing up in jersey i learned that in 7th grade!
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #67
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
I dont listen to Rush often, but I honestly cant listen to him for longer then ten minutes without getting angry. My impression on him is that he says one thing and does another. I am also liberal / independant in bent, in case anyone is wondering.
You? A liberal/independant? Naaaaah! Give me one example of you being independent. (I just joking in case you can't read though my joking.)

Actually I'm a independent conservative so I must be just the opposite of you. Except that I used to listen to Rush just to see how many of his points I could disagree with. I found in the past that what Rush spouted was just a far from the truth as many in the staunchly mainstream media (read liberal). And as someone who dealt with the "media" on a daily basis from 1975 until 1993, trust me when I say the media lost most of its objectivity somewhere along the way. A lot of local reporters earned the promotions by reporting either their opinion of the facts or the opinions that they believed the bosses wanted to hear.

Most people also don't connect with the fact that Rush is NOT a part of the news media. He is a talk show host. He's an entertainer. He is not bound by anything to say anything but what he wants to say.

And that includes what he says about cigars. Take his comments as what they truly are - a paid commercial endorsement.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #68
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
You? A liberal/independant? Naaaaah! Give me one example of you being independent. (I just joking in case you can't read though my joking.)

Actually I'm a independent conservative so I must be just the opposite of you. Except that I used to listen to Rush just to see how many of his points I could disagree with. I found in the past that what Rush spouted was just a far from the truth as many in the staunchly mainstream media (read liberal). And as someone who dealt with the "media" on a daily basis from 1975 until 1993, trust me when I say the media lost most of its objectivity somewhere along the way. A lot of local reporters earned the promotions by reporting either their opinion of the facts or the opinions that they believed the bosses wanted to hear.

Most people also don't connect with the fact that Rush is NOT a part of the news media. He is a talk show host. He's an entertainer. He is not bound by anything to say anything but what he wants to say.

And that includes what he says about cigars. Take his comments as what they truly are - a paid commercial endorsement.
The media is not bound by anything that they say. They have an agenda and talking points that they stick with (truth or not).
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #69
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
He was talking about LFD Chisels the other day and was saying he pinches the head to smoke it, and said cutting the head ruins the cigar. that was new to me also.
That's how I open them up to smoke them. It is kind of a unique deal.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #70
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

This whole thing started on his "open-line Friday" show quite a few months ago. Rush took a call from a caller who asked him what would be a good list of starter sticks for someone who wants to start smoking cigars. Rush went over a number of cigars, but was trying to stay with "mild" cigars which is what many of these sticks on the list are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Originally Posted by Rushmo von CigarShill
►Arturo Fuente. Hard to find, but if you can get them you’ll love ‘em! Medium bodied, great smoking, perfect construction, these are hard to beat.

►Charles the Great. The best-kept secret in premium cigars, these are made in a small factory in Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras. Medium bodied, loaded with flavor and exceptionally well made, there isn’t a better cigar for the money anywhere!

►Cohiba. The Dominican version of the popular Cuban brand, these are the cream of the crop – maybe the best quality cigars available in the United States. The Cohiba Black Label has an even fuller, richer taste than the original.

►Excalibur. The super-premium Hoyo de Monterrey brand, these more full-bodied cigars are exceptional in every sense – taste, construction and burn. Hard to beat.

►H. Upmann. The brand has been around forever, but you have to try the new H. UpmannVintage Cameroon. The perfect mid-day smoke to enjoy while listening to me on the radio!

►Lamb’s Club. Another of those smaller brands, this Dominican is made with Cameroon wrapper and Cuban seed Dominican long filler. Keep this one a secret among my readers – if too many people find out about it we’ll never be able to get enough of them!

►Macanudo Cafe. The #1 selling premium cigar brand in the world, these cigars are very mild. Also available in 2 other versions, the richer tasting Macanudo Maduro and the even more full flavored Macanudo Robust.

►Montecristo. One of the most recognized brands in the world, these exquisite cigars are medium bodied and exceptionally well made. To treat yourself to a fantastic smoke, try the hearty Montecristo White.
Interestingly enough, this isn't the complete list! I noticed that the "edited list doesn't include the La Gloria Cubana, Padron 1926 and 1964, Partagas Black Label and Spanish Rosado, Punch Gran Puro and Punch Corojo, Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real and Habana Reserve, and the Rocky Patel lineup especially the EDGE .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Gasp! Rush is.... WRONG! Again and again and again... Anyone who lets him do their cigar thinking for them is headed for... whatever. Hearty Monte Whites? Macanudos? Dominican Cohibas "top of the heap?" Can't find Fuentes? Don Pepin doesn't make the Top 10 and Excalber does?

I'm sure that Finck's contacted Rush to put a sampler together, and he took them up on it. But in context, I think it's unfair to edit out the good sticks and only put in what you want. Everyone's tastes are different - especially someone who is just starting out. Would you recommend a Camacho Triple Maduro to a brand new cigar smoker?

I never ordered the "Rush sampler", but I did order a sampler from Finck's. The "Charles the Great" is okay - nothing special, but I do like their Lamb's Club blend. The problem is that most of the Finck brands are cut tobacco or a mixture of cut and long tobacco, which I don't care for. Finck's is also pretty pricey on their stuff, compared to other online vendors.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now and going back to enjoying my Tierra del Sol.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #71
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
This whole thing started on his "open-line Friday" show quite a few months ago. Rush took a call from a caller who asked him what would be a good list of starter sticks for someone who wants to start smoking cigars. Rush went over a number of cigars, but was trying to stay with "mild" cigars which is what many of these sticks on the list are:

Interestingly enough, this isn't the complete list! I noticed that the "edited list doesn't include the La Gloria Cubana, Padron 1926 and 1964, Partagas Black Label and Spanish Rosado, Punch Gran Puro and Punch Corojo, Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real and Habana Reserve, and the Rocky Patel lineup especially the EDGE .

I'm sure that Finck's contacted Rush to put a sampler together, and he took them up on it. But in context, I think it's unfair to edit out the good sticks and only put in what you want. Everyone's tastes are different - especially someone who is just starting out. Would you recommend a Camacho Triple Maduro to a brand new cigar smoker?

I never ordered the "Rush sampler", but I did order a sampler from Finck's. The "Charles the Great" is okay - nothing special, but I do like their Lamb's Club blend. The problem is that most of the Finck brands are cut tobacco or a mixture of cut and long tobacco, which I don't care for. Finck's is also pretty pricey on their stuff, compared to other online vendors.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now and going back to enjoying my Tierra del Sol.

Ditto