Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #41
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone have any Tattoo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I've never heard of this...can you explain more about the ink?
http://www.crazychameleon.net/black-...attoo-ink.html

It's one of 18 UV reactive colors. The others all actually have a color to them, that when healed, simply looks like a faded, or slightly pastel color. but under UV they pop. The one he used for mine is a "white" ink, but truly it's colorless. The only thing you see on my arm is scar tissue, and with most people you can't even see that, but my dad's Cuban, and so I tan and show scars easier than most.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #42
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I have none at the moment, but as I am tenatively planning on joining the Navy after school, I've been trying to find a cool/meaningful Naval inspired tat to get.

I've thought about the Compass Rose, nautical star, stuff like that. Anyone with tattoo experience have any ideas?
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #43
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
I have none at the moment, but as I am tenatively planning on joining the Navy after school, I've been trying to find a cool/meaningful Naval inspired tat to get.

I've thought about the Compass Rose, nautical star, stuff like that. Anyone with tattoo experience have any ideas?
I've already got one planned for if/when I get into the Marines, but not a day sooner lol. I don't have any NAVY ideas, but figure out what you want to get, and mull it over for a month or 3. Think about what color(s) you may want to use, where, how big, style etc. Make sure that by the time you get it, there isn't anything you feel like you can improve on. I feel like that's the best advice I could give anybody on any tattoo. What do you want to do in the NAVY? One of my best friends from high school just got through Naval OCS. She's off for 2 years of pilot training in Pensacola now.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #44
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

You guys thinking about joining the service.... They are really cracking down on what, where, and when tats can happen. Get a current copy of the regs before getting one and or make sure your recruiter knows. It could be a show stopper.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #45
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone have any Tattoos

I have three tats. One on each leg and one on my back. Most of the time I forget that I have them. They are small and you can't really see them unless I have a swimsuit on. My first one is 12 years old and it still looks great. When I got my first one I said that was it and since I have gotten two more. My advice is make sure it is something that you can live with the rest of your life.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #46
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
OK, so it's just me then?

I'll be the voice of reason. I got a tat when I was 17, 1972. I was stoned...not just then, but all the time. My buddy and I went to the shop. He got a zig-zag man, I got a mj flower top. I have regretted it for about 30 years.

First, lifestyle changes. The values you have now, when expressed permanently and visually, may be vastly different than 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.

Second, after about 10 years they look like sh*t. after 20 years they look like mostly grey and black blobs. Yeah, I know you can get 'em touched up...blah, blah, blah.

Third, when you start advancing in your career, and the vast majority of people do, they are not and advertisement for "stability" or "good decision maker". Furthermore, they do not give you the look that screams "hire me" unless you're trying to get a job as a bouncer or a roadie. They look, well...stooooopid.

Go ahead, let the flogging begin, it's just my personal opinion and advice.

the inks that are used today are completely different than back in the day. major advancement in the ink field.

never get a tattoo when your drunk.

never get a tattoo you just thought up. (i thought aboot my sleeve for 10 years before i went for it. i made sure it was something i wanted. there are alot of tattoos that i wanted back in the day that i would kill myself if i had them on me now!!). think about it,think about it and think about it..

your tattoo should look the way it did from day one if:

your artists is good. do research on your artist. check all of his work. most importantly, find a tattoo on someone that he did years ago. see how it looks now.

if you take care of your tattoo for the week following when it got done. use A&D ointment. IMO, don't use any of that crap goo they try to sell you at some tattoo shops. it's crap. it may work a bit but every tat artists i know uses A&D on themselves. i have used it on all of my tatts, i have some that are 6 years old that look like i got them done yesterday.

skin care for life!! sun ruins tattoos. use sunblock always when you are in the sun (on the tatto). i use SP 50 if i go to the beach. it will leave any skin you put it on white, but your tatto will look good.

the times are also different now. tattoos aren't as looked down apon as they were even ten years ago. i have seen CEO's of major companies with full sleeves and all. you should make sure you can cover it up when need be though. example = work. don't put tattoos on your face,neck or hands. i have a sleeve but it can be fully covered with a suit and a nice watch. you would never know i had them unless i showed you.
even though they are excepted more, in a real business setting, they should be covered. you can enjoy them the moment you get off.

but in the world in general today, tattoos are more excepted for sure.

my

oh and GO BIG! lol.
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #47
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

... on pretty much everything

I freakin' LIVE in sunscreen as well. Neutrogena makes an SPF 85 that is awesome. Goes on well and doesn't leave you with that white-out look. It doesn't matter where I go I'm always lathered up. Great piece of advice, use sunscreeen on tattoos that will see a lot of sun exposure.

I should buy stock in SPF companies LOL
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post
I've already got one planned for if/when I get into the Marines, but not a day sooner lol. I don't have any NAVY ideas, but figure out what you want to get, and mull it over for a month or 3. Think about what color(s) you may want to use, where, how big, style etc. Make sure that by the time you get it, there isn't anything you feel like you can improve on. I feel like that's the best advice I could give anybody on any tattoo. What do you want to do in the NAVY? One of my best friends from high school just got through Naval OCS. She's off for 2 years of pilot training in Pensacola now.
I'm in pharmacy school now, so I'd be a pharmacist in the Navy (O-3)
Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #49
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
You guys thinking about joining the service.... They are really cracking down on what, where, and when tats can happen. Get a current copy of the regs before getting one and or make sure your recruiter knows. It could be a show stopper.
I've heard this, and I'll certainly ask before doing anything, but I'm thinking that something that would be covered by a t-shirt ought to be kosher
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #50
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

Army (Active)

Quote:
I've heard this, and I'll certainly ask before doing anything, but I'm thinking that something that would be covered by a t-shirt ought to be kosher
And I know that for the Marines, the newest policy is that it has to be smaller than your hand. I'll wait until I'm in to get any more, and even then I'll be sure it's perfectly acceptable before.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #51
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal

First Name: S.T
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough

my first was the D, than a short time frame after that i got board-
Here i go with my 3 hour session with nothing but SHADING... GREY SCALE!... oh hell my leg was raw lol

Expect MUCH MORE come the first of the year
Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #52
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Here's what I found for the Navy
6. TATTOOS/BODY ART/BRANDS. Three Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel while wearing civilian clothing: content, location and cosmetic.

a. Content. Tattoos/body art/brands located anywhere on the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline, and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the naval service are prohibited. For example, tattoos/body art/brands that are obscene, sexually explicit, and or advocate discrimination based on sex, race, religion, ethnic, or national origin are prohibited. In addition, tattoos/body art/brands that symbolize affiliation with gangs, supremacist or extremist groups, or advocate illegal drug use are prohibited.
b. Location. No tattoos/body art/brands on the head, face, neck, or scalp. The neck area for purposes of this regulation is any portion visible when wearing a crew neck T-shirt or open collar uniform shirt. In addition, otherwise permissible tattoos/body art/brands on the torso area of the body shall not be visible through white uniform clothing.
c. Cosmetic. This regulation does not prohibit cosmetic tattooing to correct medical conditions requiring such treatment. For the purpose of this regulation, cosmetic tattooing refers to medical or surgical procedures conducted by licensed, qualified medical personnel.

so I guess as long as a t-shirt would cover it, and it's not a swastika (sp) I think I'll be ok
Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #53
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I don't suggest getting a Navy tat before joining up. If I were you I'd just wait till after you join/complete boot camp.

I've seen many not make it into the Marines due to tats and their location or so called meanings.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #54
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
OK, so it's just me then?

I'll be the voice of reason. I got a tat when I was 17, 1972. I was stoned...not just then, but all the time. My buddy and I went to the shop. He got a zig-zag man, I got a mj flower top. I have regretted it for about 30 years.

First, lifestyle changes. The values you have now, when expressed permanently and visually, may be vastly different than 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.

Second, after about 10 years they look like sh*t. after 20 years they look like mostly grey and black blobs. Yeah, I know you can get 'em touched up...blah, blah, blah.

Third, when you start advancing in your career, and the vast majority of people do, they are not and advertisement for "stability" or "good decision maker". Furthermore, they do not give you the look that screams "hire me" unless you're trying to get a job as a bouncer or a roadie. They look, well...stooooopid.

Go ahead, let the flogging begin, it's just my personal opinion and advice.
I have to say I regret getting the tattoo's I got. Think it threw before getting one.Thats my
Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #55
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I don't suggest getting a Navy tat before joining up. If I were you I'd just wait till after you join/complete boot camp.

I've seen many not make it into the Marines due to tats and their location or so called meanings.

of course! I mean't once I"m in and all that fun stuff

Whatever I potentially get would be siginificant to where I go
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #56
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

LFdC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
... on pretty much everything

I freakin' LIVE in sunscreen as well. Neutrogena makes an SPF 85 that is awesome. Goes on well and doesn't leave you with that white-out look. It doesn't matter where I go I'm always lathered up. Great piece of advice, use sunscreeen on tattoos that will see a lot of sun exposure.

I should buy stock in SPF companies LOL

i GOT to get me some of that SPF 85!!! never even seen it around here. does it come in a stick as well?
i try to get the spf 50 roll on stick. it is like a glue stick(ones in school) and you can put it exactly on the tattoo only, instead of having to try to get the liquid to NOT run all over everything else. i have had some funny mishaps with the regular liquid like sunscreen. lol
i went into a stand up tanning bed once and i used spf 50 sunscreen on the tattoo under my arm (on my bicep). well i got tired of holding my arms up and i put them to my side....................i had a big ass white mark on my side for almost a freakin year (the sunscreen got on my side from my bicep)!! hahahaha it looked so funny.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #57
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

This stuff is awesome. I really should buy stock in this company I use so much of it. It can usually be found in like a Wal-Mart or Target or CVS or something. Not greasy at all and it doesn't look like you are wearing sunscreen.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #58
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

LFdC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post

This stuff is awesome. I really should buy stock in this company I use so much of it. It can usually be found in like a Wal-Mart or Target or CVS or something. Not greasy at all and it doesn't look like you are wearing sunscreen.

excellent!

thanks mang.

glad to hear it doesn't look like you have it on. the other SPF 50 (non stick) version looks like white paint going on. lol
Old 11-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #59
Comicbookfreak
Tattooed 4 Life

Location: Goverment Facility Solving The Riddles of Time Travel
HdM
Comicbookfreak is on a distinguished road

I have a few. I am working on both arms for sleeves. Also have one on the back of my neck. Plan to do my Neck and throat (Adam's apple), complete sleeves on arms and fill up back and chest. Might do legs also haven't decided yet on those.

Back of neck -Strength

Left forearm - Shi (Death)

Left forearm - Koi, just done Tuesday still healing and not finished yet. Still have to finish the cherry blossoms,water andscalles on the Koi plus some highlights for the koi.

Right Shoulder and upper arm. - 2 Dragons

2 Dragons

Right Forarm

Batman

Joker

Gotham City Background work still unfinished

I have a griffon on my right upper arm but I won't be there after today as I will be getting it covered up with Japanese Demon (Oni) skull that will cover my shoulder,tricep and bicep. Will post a pic of it soon.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #60
SonsofClubDeck

Default Re: Tattoos?

got this a few days after i turned 18.

worked outside a lot but always used sunscreen and it stills looks great. there will be more to come.