Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Winter outside heater recommendations?

Winter is arriving and I've go a great little makeshift mancave setup outside in a little uninsulated shed. Well, it would be great, if it had a heater!

I haven't measured the shed, but it's probably not more than 11x9x8, and really only 1/2 of the shed needs to be warm.

Quick startup is needed - I'm not going to turn it on and come back in 45 minutes. (so a fan is probably in order... but maybe not?)

Electric would be preferred, less things to worry about. Given that I'm smoking right next to the main breaker box for the property, getting a good power feed to it won't be a problem (electric may be too $$ to buy however)

Heater can (and will) be positioned somewhat close to me. I can't physically put it more than 4 feet from me.

$PRICE$ is a factor. I'm not worried about operational costs, as it won't be used ever day. But for the initial unit, price needs to be low! ideally less than $100.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter outside heater recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Winter is arriving and I've go a great little makeshift mancave setup outside in a little uninsulated shed. Well, it would be great, if it had a heater!

I haven't measured the shed, but it's probably not more than 11x9x8, and really only 1/2 of the shed needs to be warm.

Quick startup is needed - I'm not going to turn it on and come back in 45 minutes. (so a fan is probably in order... but maybe not?)

Electric would be preferred, less things to worry about. Given that I'm smoking right next to the main breaker box for the property, getting a good power feed to it won't be a problem (electric may be too $$ to buy however)

Heater can (and will) be positioned somewhat close to me. I can't physically put it more than 4 feet from me.

$PRICE$ is a factor. I'm not worried about operational costs, as it won't be used ever day. But for the initial unit, price needs to be low! ideally less than $100.
I Have This One. Works Great!
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=78006369
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I use the round electric radiant heater,even in my 2 car garage it warms me fine and fast.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Kerosene radiant heater for me, although you may be too confined in that small an area. I use mine in a 3-plus car garage and use it hours on end with no noticable effects.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

This is what I use, it works well in a small area. The nice thing is it doesn't get HOT, so you can sit right next to it if you want. Sounds like what you are looking for.

I bought it from Sears and I think it was much less than advertised in this link (Like $75):
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G92

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 11-29-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Girlfriend and I put electric one on either side of us (one round, one vertical) and works pretty good. Round one is better heater and oscillates. Howver, the light coming off the reflector is REALLY bright. PITA sometimes when pointed right at you.

Was seriously considering a tabletop kerosene umbrella-type patio heater for this winter, though. Saw one the other day for $60.

Threadjack alert...... Anyone know if you can change the 'input' to take large grill-size bottles instead of the little camp-stove style?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Girlfriend and I put electric one on either side of us (one round, one vertical) and works pretty good. Round one is better heater and oscillates. Howver, the light coming off the reflector is REALLY bright. PITA sometimes when pointed right at you.

Was seriously considering a tabletop kerosene umbrella-type patio heater for this winter, though. Saw one the other day for $60.

Threadjack alert...... Anyone know if you can change the 'input' to take large grill-size bottles instead of the little camp-stove style?
Just search for one that is built to connect to a propane tank. I use a round one that connects to a propane tank. Works really well in an enclosed area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post

Yes you can... heres an adapter, hook it up and viola, runs on a full tank... that was actually my suggestion table top propane and the hose... works great!
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

I like the contractor style propane heater, I use them off of a 20lb tank, lasts a while
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have one of these parabolic heaters from Costco:

Works really well indoors. For outdoors I have a couple of propane heaters.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

This is one of the ones that I have. I like this one a lot.

http://www.target.com/p/Honeywell-Co...r/-/A-12821920

$6309 online from Target but I got mine in store for $55.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Basically two options. Electric or propane. Both have their disadvantages, with electric, your meter will spin because anything that gives decent heat will use 1500w or more. Propane needs some ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Adam posted these propane heaters that are a good deal. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51402
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I'm not sure a 1500W (~5200btu) heater is probably not going to cut it out there. Can get kinda drafty. I tried an old 800W radiant heater i had, and it was barely keeping things comfortable when the outside temp was 50f. I'd like to relax and enjoy my cigar in toasty warmth

What about something like this? http://www.heater-store.com/original..._medium=Google
Looks simple, warm... BUT will ventilation be a problem? It's about as well ventilated as a garage...

Also, could a unit like that be moved out to my barn and used to keep a small area habitable in the winter while I was working? (dual purpose is always a plus)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Basically two options. Electric or propane. Both have their disadvantages, with electric, your meter will spin because anything that gives decent heat will use 1500w or more. Propane needs some ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Adam posted these propane heaters that are a good deal. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51402
Thanks for the link! tempting....

BIIIIIG Question - HOW MUCH ventilation is needed?
I CAN crack a window.... but erm, doesn't that defeat the purpose, requiring you to run a much higher output heater, and thus, NOT saving any of your money?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Those parabolic radiant heaters are great but they through off a ton of heat. For the size space you're talking about, I'd recommend a ceramic heater. You can find a tower type or one of the boxy ones at Target or Home Depot for under $30

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Those parabolic radiant heaters are great but they through off a ton of heat. For the size space you're talking about, I'd recommend a ceramic heater. You can find a tower type or one of the boxy ones at Target or Home Depot for under $30
Can I just turn it on low?

I can very much justify spending a couple extra bucks on a higher output heater if I can make a secondary use of it in the barn. I've got some projects out there I've got to get done this winter... a little warmth would be nice
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

You can turn down the volume of gas on a propane heater. Cracking a window should be sufficient ventilation but to be sure I would invest an extra $20 in a battery powered carbon monoxide detector. Better to wake up to a screaming detector than to not wake up at all.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Can I just turn it on low?

I can very much justify spending a couple extra bucks on a higher output heater if I can make a secondary use of it in the barn. I've got some projects out there I've got to get done this winter... a little warmth would be nice
Sounds ideal for the barn project, but those propane heaters really do put out serious heat. If you can't get further than 4 feet away you may want to reconsider, or wear shorts and a tank top. I saw some women huddled around one at a soccer game this last week but it was outdoors. You can't turn them down too low or they will go out on you, more so if it's drafty.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
coffeemonkey
Smoking my way to the Top

Trading: (0)
Partagas
coffeemonkey is on a distinguished road

check this patio heater out, on sale at Costco, the tank top heaters are OK, but the heat goes up and not very far out. The patio type reflect heat down and seem to work a bit better.

edit: apparently I can't read, you wanted one for under $100 and the patio design is probably not what you are after, but I'll leave the post anyway in case someone can benefit from the sale at Costco.

Last edited by coffeemonkey; 11-29-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
coffeemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

technically it only has to heat 1/3 of the room... the block of space occupied by my chair...

I wonder if a couple of these close by would do it... one for the feet and one for the torso? http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-H-4110...2602966&sr=8-1

something like this is bigger and looks like it would do it... but I have a feeling my feet would freeze http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1