Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #3221
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Go grab a bottle and do a side by side, it will help appreciate the uniqueness of the finish from the pick
So on my way back from lunch, hit up the local liquor store and grabbed a bottle of the BRT-02. Drinking it right now. Very enjoyable. Unique. They also had the BRT-01. Worth picking that up? I went with the 02 as a quick search had it more to my flavor profile.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:00 PM   #3222
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Go grab a bottle and do a side by side, it will help appreciate the uniqueness of the finish from the pick
I will have to. My bottle isn't even open yet, they had a tasting of this at the liquor store
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:51 PM   #3223
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
So on my way back from lunch, hit up the local liquor store and grabbed a bottle of the BRT-02. Drinking it right now. Very enjoyable. Unique. They also had the BRT-01. Worth picking that up? I went with the 02 as a quick search had it more to my flavor profile.
They were both pretty good but I preferred 02
Old 05-24-2023, 05:03 PM   #3224
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They were both pretty good but I preferred 02
Thanks Ben. I’ll stick to this one. I have plenty of bottles to drink from now.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:16 AM   #3225
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Sounds to me like you still don't have nearly enough
Old 05-25-2023, 08:09 AM   #3226
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I picked up two more of the MM BEP.... Bob, if you run into that, it is better than both the BRTs (and all except FAE-02) in my humble opinion.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:22 AM   #3227
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Sounds to me like you still don't have nearly enough
Well I went from maybe 4-5 bottles to 20+ different bottles with about 30 if you count multiples. My kitchen counter is overflowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I picked up two more of the MM BEP.... Bob, if you run into that, it is better than both the BRTs (and all except FAE-02) in my humble opinion.
I’ll keep my eye for it. I was surprised to see last years bottles on the shelf, let alone at msrp.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #3228
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I’ll keep my eye for it. I was surprised to see last years bottles on the shelf, let alone at msrp.
Unusual but you find those hidden gems now and then.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-25-2023, 01:13 PM   #3229
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

So I sent my friend in NC, a huge bourbon drinker, a pic of my meager collection. He sends me pics of his stuff that would put some liquor stores to shame. He just sent me a pic of a bottle of Very Old Fitz he got as a retirement gift.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #3230
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

And now he just sent me a pic of his last haul from KY. Wow. I’d blow my savings on what he got. Multiples of Weller 12, WLW, and plenty others.
Old 05-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #3231
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I suspect if they're getting WLW from Kentucky they probably did blow some savings. You can occasionally get lucky at a distillery there for certain special releases, but in general people who live in KY tend agree it's easier to get allocated stuff in other states. That being said, KY and DC are the only places where a store is legally allowed to buy from a collector and resell the bottle, so literally everything ever is available, but they all come with a fitting price tag
Old 05-25-2023, 07:15 PM   #3232
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

Picked up a (small) bottle of regular makers to compare to the private selection I got
Old 05-25-2023, 07:50 PM   #3233
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I opened up the GD Hand Selected Barrel tonight. It's pretty damned tasty. I'm not the greatest at getting tasting notes, but I get cherry, caramel, and tiramisu on the nose. The palate is sweet cinnamon apple and a pleasant peppery note. I'd pick up another bottle of this if the price was right.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #3234
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

Having some regular makers tonight
Old 05-26-2023, 06:14 AM   #3235
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I suspect if they're getting WLW from Kentucky they probably did blow some savings. You can occasionally get lucky at a distillery there for certain special releases, but in general people who live in KY tend agree it's easier to get allocated stuff in other states. That being said, KY and DC are the only places where a store is legally allowed to buy from a collector and resell the bottle, so literally everything ever is available, but they all come with a fitting price tag
So bear with me, I’m still a noob. Looking at the pic again, so I see bottles of Weller 12. Next to it is a bottle of W. L. Weller 12. Different bottle shapes, different labels. That’s what I was calling WLW. It’s not the bottle from the BTAC series.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:13 AM   #3236
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Ah I see, sounds like it could be an older bottling of Weller, in which case see above about spending your savings in KY

But seriously that's pretty cool, I was never much of a fan of Weller 12, I found a bottle for $60 a few years ago which felt expensive at the time but boy was I wrong. I have a friend with a closet full of old Weller stuff, but somebody told him how much it's worth so he wanted close to $400 for an old handle of 107. It's probably low for what he could get for it, but I'm sure not paying that
Old 05-26-2023, 07:22 AM   #3237
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I opened up the GD Hand Selected Barrel tonight. It's pretty damned tasty. I'm not the greatest at getting tasting notes, but I get cherry, caramel, and tiramisu on the nose. The palate is sweet cinnamon apple and a pleasant peppery note. I'd pick up another bottle of this if the price was right.

Sounds delicious! Those Dickel picks can be all over the place, I've had a few that are fruity heavenly and a few that are over the top mineral and borderline undrinkable. Glad you got a good one
Old 05-26-2023, 07:27 AM   #3238
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I agree with Ben, James, the Dickel picks are pretty inconsistent, I'm also glad you got a good one.

Met some old hockey teammates out at a burger & bourbon place, and tried these 3 "new to me" pours:

Larceny Barrel Proof A121. Doesn't hold a candle to Elijah Craig BP.

Barrell Bourbon Batch 19 (2019). Sweet and complex, but not as good as Batch 28.

Maker's Mark Cask Strength. Meh. Gimmie the wood finished series or a high proof single barrel over this.

So what to do after that? Come home for some old faithful Knob Creek 102 proof single barrel.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #3239
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
...the dickel picks...
phrasing! :d
Old 05-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #3240
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Sounds delicious! Those Dickel picks can be all over the place, I've had a few that are fruity heavenly and a few that are over the top mineral and borderline undrinkable. Glad you got a good one
Interesting, one of the guys I watch on YT says the same about Dickel. Guess I’ll stay away from them for now.