Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
SixPackSunday

Default Every Cigar Tells a Story...

*long-winded post by me about nothing in particular*

So after waking up and cleaning up the basement all morning from Easter my mother informs me she's heading into town for a bit. I take this as my notice that I should head outside for the first cigar of the day.

I grab my three finger case and walk over to the humidor to pick out my smokes for the day. Since I normally smoke three to four cigars I find it easier to just fill the case and keep it with me around the house for the day rather than heading to the humidor to pick out a cigar each time.

I pick up a Bolivar Gold Medal and Illusione 4/2 G that Aldrin sent me. He's been wanting me to smoke the 4/2 since it came in and I figure it'll make a great post dinner cigar tonight, the Gold Medal was my last one, but a personal favorite. For the third cigar I put in a LFD Chisel, one of my favorite smokes for the last couple of months.

I look over my selections and realize that I'm really not in the mood for anything in these sizes right now so I look back over the humi to pick out one more smaller cigar for right now. I realize My two smallest cigars are a Tatuaje j21 and a Bolivar Canada RE. Still bigger than what I was hoping for, but its what I had to work with. I opted for the Bolivar.

On the way outside I stop and snag the pellet gun. This evening I'm going to plant the tomatoes for the garden as well as a few other things. We have an old railroad coal loader not to far from my house and it houses a couple hundred black birds that always plague the garden, so were hoping to weed some of that population out this year.

I head out to the garage and set up a chair in the back yard, along with a small cigar stand and a pepsi. I light my cigar and go outside to sit down and wait for the birds.

For those of you who know me much at all you know I dont get out much anymore. After a rough couple of quarters of school in Cincinnati I have decided to halt my drinking during the school year to focus on the more important aspects of life. I don't get out much and to be honest trades/bombs/etc are about as much outside human interaction as I get these days.

As I start to take my first draws of the cigar I notice its an excellent cigar. I think of the person who sent it to me, our past conversations and that person in general. I thank them in my head for the very kind gift and look forward to thanking them on the forums this evening. It was gifted to me by somebody I highly respect and always enjoy chatting with, regardless of the topic.

I see my first black bird, not too far away but shrowded with small branches in front of it so I cant quite get a good shot. I set my cigar down and stand up to walk to a better angle. I draw a bead on it miss entirely. Luckily the bird didnt move at all so I quickly reloaded and tried again. The second shot was in my favor and the bird fell quickly to the ground.

I returned to my chair and picked my cigar up again. I look at the construction of the cigar. I find the Bolivars I have smoked tend to have a very subtle spice undertone to them. Its much more pronounced in this cigar and I make a note to myself to put it on my 'want to trade for' list so that I can try a couple more.

I see several black birds on the back edge of the tree line that are out my range so I decide to wait and see if they come any closer. 10 or so minutes pass and a couple finally make it to a range I feel comfortable with. I draw a bead and miss, both fly away back to the other side of the tree line.

I look at my cigar again and read the band 'Exclusivo Canada'. I think about the few times I've been to Canada. The shops, the places we ate, the random cute Italian girl I kissed on the Maiden of the Mist while going under Niagra. I remember the time I told some a fraternity house of ours in Canada that they could stay at our house for a weekend when they were coming in town for a convention and how they were amazed their Molson bottles said 'imported' on them.

I see another black bird land close by on the ground. I quickly set my cigar down and bring up the rifle. 5 seconds later the bird is no longer standing, but on its side not moving.

I pick up the cigar and remove the first band on it. The flavor is starting to change a little bit to a more earthy taste. Only getting better IMO.

I sit for a good while just enjoying the cigar and listening to the sounds outside. As I'm removing the Bolivar band I see a couple of very large black birds land in a tree not to far away. I stand up and stabilize myself against the basketball post and take my time. I fire and hit one, but he's still alive, trying to fly from branch to branch, but not making it very far. I quickly reload and fire a second shot, ending it.

I'm down to the end of the cigar and almost out of pepsi. I pitch the cigar and take my chair back in the garage, throw my pepsi can away and take one last look over the tree line hoping to see a target for the last pellet in my gun. i see nothing so I decide to try and hit a dandelion out of the yard. I miss and head inside.

I dont know about you all, but this is how I truly enjoy my cigars. Not necessarily the bird shooting portion, but taking the time to relax and reflect on everything. The cigar, which is actually least important to me. The person who sent it to me, which matters greatly, and things of that nature. My life at the time, which is an ever changing array of emotions. It seems every time I light a cigar I end up with a new story in my head that I can enjoy and pass the time a little easier.

I want to thank all of your for the community you've provided for me and the countless stories that have helped to pass the time that I've spent in solitude.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Every Cigar Tells a Story...

A great read. I find I like my cigars alot more smoking them with others. I am not sure if it is the talks we normally have or if it is the common bond of smoking a couple cigars together.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Thanks Logan for sharing that. I really enjoyed it very much.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
SixPackSunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
A great read. I find I like my cigars alot more smoking them with others. I am not sure if it is the talks we normally have or if it is the common bond of smoking a couple cigars together.
Since moving back to Indiana this past summer Easter weekend was the first chance I've had to actually smoke cigars with other people who truly enjoyed them, that being my sister in laws father, a guy I get along with great. It was easily the best weekend I've had in the last year. We smoked who knows how many great cigars and just sat around and shot the ****.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road

Logan,
Great story. Personally, I am a big fan of the narrative style of reviews rather than the clinical approach. I think that the peripheral inputs of the smoking experience lend just as much to the overall enjoyment than just the look, feel, smell, and taste of the smoke.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Michael
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Thanx for sharing! I always like these stories of the thoughts going through your head as you smoke.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

This lil story just made my day. Thank you for sharing, Logan.

"You must spread some reputation around..."

Booo!!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post

Booo!!
I enjoyed the story too and bumped the RG for us both!!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Definitely a better experience when sharing IMO.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice story, thanks for sharing.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
SixPackSunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post

Booo!!
Let me guess... you gave me some for my rolling pin comment last night?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Every Cigar Tells a Story... Most of mine say "Goodbye"

Thanks for writing all this out. I too like to enjoy an cigar by myself it's almost meditative the and lets you really think about the things in your life.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Great post Logan.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
ScottH
Lovin' Life

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
ScottH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88n View Post
Logan,
Great story. Personally, I am a big fan of the narrative style of reviews rather than the clinical approach. I think that the peripheral inputs of the smoking experience lend just as much to the overall enjoyment than just the look, feel, smell, and taste of the smoke.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Michael
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Nice story, thanks for sharing.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote