Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #61
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: pistol or cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
After shooting one today, I'd go with a HK P30
I was looking into those, didn't like that they didn't have a safety. They do have the HK P30s but it's got dual ambidextrous safeties and such. I dunno I'm going to look at them in person and a regular HK USP Compact 40 cal Wednesday.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #62
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Another one is it's perfectly ok to carry in Church in Florida and not so in Georgia.
I forget the state they were talking about, and think it was Mass, but last night on talk radio they were talking about trying to overturn a law that says you can point a gun at a home invader but NOT shoot.

Thank goodness Florida doesn't have dumb laws like that.

Very good advice to be sure you know the particular state's laws where you plan to carry as "I didn't know" won't work very well in court.

Oh and here is the complete list of the state you mentioned's recipricocity laws state by state:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/pistol.htm
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #63
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Devan as AD you will qualify for a resident CCW. Just keep in mind that while AD you have to worry about transport on and off base. If you live on post it is very difficult to carry.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #64
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

yeah it is not aloud here. but i can work on getting the CCL on my way out. just easier that way. it takes time to get it. so ill save for the weapon in the mean time
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #65
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Devan as AD you will qualify for a resident CCW. Just keep in mind that while AD you have to worry about transport on and off base. If you live on post it is very difficult to carry.
One of the most ridiculous things ever.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #66
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Devan, in Michigan, any State's CWP is recognized. But as far as I know, an out-of-state permit isn't transferable for a Michigan CWP, so you'll be required to pass all of the requirements here. But I don't see that you should have any trouble in getting one here in Michigan, once you're living here.

When you get here, there are a couple of indoor ranges that rent different styles and models of pistols so you can try them out. A few of my friends have gone that route while trying to decide what to buy.

BTW, my carry gun is a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra compact .45. I also carry a S&W 915 at times. My competition pistol is a ParaOrdance P14.45. I've seen pretty much every make and model of semi-auto, but I'm partial to John Browning's 1911 design.

Charlie
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
You should see all the crap you need to go through to even work around a weapons system on my base.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #68
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
You dont know the half of it. Needless to say one could argue that people have died because of the restriction. I wont go any deeper but it is a pile of garbage!
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #69
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Pistol gets my vote.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #70
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Sig P-229 .357 Sig is my favorite but another strong consideration in my book would be the H&K USP 45 - Only with High Capacity Magazines if legal in your state.

I have many pistols and luv the .357 Sig Caliber. For a first pistol owner I don't recommend a Glock but rather something with all the bells and whistles including a positive safety.

You might want to consider a 1911 - 45 ACP if in your budget, not a high capacity but sure a great piece to learn to shoot pistols with and will last you forever.

Nothing wrong with the .40 caliber though I am not a fan of the 9mm unless looking for something small and high capacity.

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #71
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Pistol gets my vote.

Thanks, Man.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #72
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

derringers are pretty handy.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #73
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Just my .2 but I would look into the compact HK P2000. We use the full size at work and I really like it. Wasn't crazy with it at first but after nearly 4k rounds through it and not a single hick up I love it.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #74
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Colt 1911 a tried and true proven stopper
I will never part with my Colt 1911 collection.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Sig P-229 .357 Sig is my favorite but another strong consideration in my book would be the H&K USP 45 - Only with High Capacity Magazines if legal in your state.

I have many pistols and luv the .357 Sig Caliber. For a first pistol owner I don't recommend a Glock but rather something with all the bells and whistles including a positive safety.

You might want to consider a 1911 - 45 ACP if in your budget, not a high capacity but sure a great piece to learn to shoot pistols with and will last you forever.

Nothing wrong with the .40 caliber though I am not a fan of the 9mm unless looking for something small and high capacity.

As much as I love 1911's they are heavy as piss to carry. Not to mention they only get 8 rounds. You can trade up with a lighter weight and gain rounds in a polymer gun. They just don't make good carry guns if you're a small(er) guy. Not easy to conceal.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #76
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
sig sauer .45.
church!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #77
Drez
The Warden

Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

get a glock or a spring field xd series. i own both and carry both for work and could not be happier.
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #78
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
As much as I love 1911's they are heavy as piss to carry. Not to mention they only get 8 rounds. You can trade up with a lighter weight and gain rounds in a polymer gun. They just don't make good carry guns if you're a small(er) guy. Not easy to conceal.
I politely disagree. My 1911 Kimber has an 8 rd mag, but it is carried cocked & locked by design. So, I get 9 rds of .45ACP in a weapon that is only about 1.25 inches wide. For that reason 1911s fit very nicely in "Inside the Waistband" holsters (IWB). The shorter barrel models are even more convenient. Standard is 5 inch, Pro/Officer model is 4.25 inches, and the compact or carry models are 3.5 inches. The frames are offered in blued steel, stainless steel, aluminum alloy, and even polymer. The Kimber compact models are aluminum alloy frame with stainless slides and they weigh in at 25 ounces. The standard and pro sizes have a full size grip and therefore a full 8 rd mag. The compact are usually 1 rd lower capacity.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #79
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Who ever said they're difficult for a small guy to conceal? They're quite easy as they are thinner than most polymer pistols.

With a good IWB holster a 1911 can disappear under a t-shirt:

Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #80
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

That is very similar to my IWB. I carry the 5 inch full size model. I can carry with shorts and a T-shirt without people noticing.