Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #41
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: pistol or cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Nice, I love that scandium model.

Mines just the plain old 38. I'll bet yours has quite a kick shooting 357's.
You know, I had read that people who shot it said the web by their thimb would bleed and that the recoil was horrible...and that was with .38+p

When I first shot it I did not have the same experience. The way the grip and gun are designed the recoil seems to go straing back instead of lifting the barrel up....

My dad was afraid to shoot it as well but then i bough some .357 to put through it. After he saw me shooting it he gave it a shot. It actually kicked less than his Taurus...YMMV

With that said, I do not think I would be putting 10rds through it at a time....

either way it is a really fun gun to shoot..

To the OP, sorry for the thread jack but to get back on topic...

What have your experiences been up to this point? Make, model, cal...etc

What do you want to accomplish? Home defense, Conceal carry, competition, or just plain plinking....

Knowing your experience etc may help someone provide a most excellent suggestion..
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #42
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Sold the only handgun I have ever owned(Ruger P95) when my first son was born. Used that money(+) to pick up a Winston WT3 376 & a Lamson reel. The rod gets far more use....

If you are having a hard time deciding between buying a firearm or cigars, my vote would be to get more cigars.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #43
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Devan,

I say get a gun first. In what state will you be living, and what will you be using the gun for (home protection, carry, recreation, etc.)? That info could affect my recommendations as to which gun.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #44
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
To the OP, sorry for the thread jack but to get back on topic...

What have your experiences been up to this point? Make, model, cal...etc

What do you want to accomplish? Home defense, Conceal carry, competition, or just plain plinking....

Knowing your experience etc may help someone provide a most excellent suggestion..
goals are home defense and conceal carry, Michigan is the state for now

experience has been limited to assault rifles and machine guns(m16,m4,240B, and 249 saw) as enlisted doesn't normally get ahold of pistols, or atleast i didnt. One of these days ill take my buddies colt 45 and sig 22 to the range but its to cold for that currently.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #45
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
goals are home defense and conceal carry, Michigan is the state for now

experience has been limited to assault rifles and machine guns(m16,m4,240B, and 249 saw) as enlisted doesn't normally get ahold of pistols, or atleast i didnt. One of these days ill take my buddies colt 45 and sig 22 to the range but its to cold for that currently.
Do not remember if it was this thread or not but the comment about going to the range and renting handguns to try seems a pretty good suggestion.

find one that feel good in your hand and then make sure you can actually shoot it.

Home defense and CC are typically accomplished by two different weapons but with careful consideration of all factors involved you can find a handgun that will accomplish both successfully. (Although, I prefer a shotgun for home defense with a handgun as backup)

Once you get into CC you will find that you need a different gun depending on what you are wearing / seasons, etc...

Basically, BEWARE, guns are a slippery slope as well, just like cigars.....
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #46
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

As far as home defense I stick to an AR or Shotgun. You are already familiar with the AR. Shotguns can be found for cheap. As for CCW again trial and error at a shop with a range. Guns are like cigars there is one for everyone just have to see which one you like. And like cigars guns tend to multiply. Just remember to be responsible. Which ever you choose know that you need to keep shooting it to be good with it. Ammo can be expensive so take the whole package into consideration. Carry method, ammo, magazines, holsters, Range fees ect.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #47
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I agree, I got an AR-15 and a Mossberg for home defense. Anyone further then say 15 feet gets the AR. Both locked and loaded in arms reach.

I also agree you'll probably end up wanting multiple guns for CC. My advice would be to get something in the midsize carry end. Not a snub nose or anything but a Sig or a HK compact. The Springfield XD compact models are also good, or so I hear.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #48
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

Pistol, Night hawks custom 9 or 45 both great pistols. Also file for concealed weapons permit while on AD it easyer.

Knip.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #49
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

another question. A CWP in Alabama is good in Michigan. Would it be smart to get a CCW in Alabama and once i leave have it transfered to Michigan or w.e. because it looks like i have to apply in person and that's not possible while im stationed here.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #50
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Not positive but I doubt that you have it "transferred". You will probably have to go through the permitting process there.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #51
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

What Ranger said.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #52
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

then id just keep the alabama one till it expires
Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #53
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
another question. A CWP in Alabama is good in Michigan. Would it be smart to get a CCW in Alabama and once i leave have it transfered to Michigan or w.e. because it looks like i have to apply in person and that's not possible while im stationed here.
Double check the recipricocity (sp?) for the states.

I've had my Florida one for a while and recently found out it is good in around 35 other states.

There should be plenty of info on it with a quick search, but I'm too lazy.

Personally, I love revolvers for reliablity to carry and Mossberg shotguns for home defense and reliability to neutralize any home invasion threats in a hurry.

Tried Glocks but none seemed to fit my frame for carry.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #54
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

was looking at my buddies Alabama CCP. it shows Michigan on the back as a state that acknowledges it.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #55
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Pete is right. there are some states that issue non resident permits and some that don't. some of the one's that do, those nonresident permits aren't recognized as having reciprocity. It's confusing but here is a website that might get you started.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old 01-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #56
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

ill have to look, they also do things alittle different for AD, but ill see what that site has to say
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #57
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
was looking at my buddies Alabama CCP. it shows Michigan on the back as a state that acknowledges it.
You also have to hone up on the law in whatever state you are in. My permit from Florida is good in lots of other states but I must follow their law and not Florida's. For instance in Florida the statutes have no requirement how I carry as long as it is concealed, Georgia (which my permit is good in) has a stipulation that you must carry in a holster, granted that can be any kind of holster, belt, pocket, etc. But I must obey their law.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #58
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Another one is it's perfectly ok to carry in Church in Florida and not so in Georgia.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #59
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I had a CCP from Florida, so that I could handgun Hunt in MI. The laws in MI are a bit funky, I would make sure you check the laws before you do things like turn in an out of state DL for a MI one.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #60
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

After shooting one today, I'd go with a HK P30
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote