Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #81
Justinphilly

Default Re: Gin Thread!

I'm not sure if its available nationally yet or not, but some Philly guys starting making/selling gin locally a few years ago. Bluecoat is the name and what made these guys think a Philly made gin could/would be respected and sell is beyond me. But, it was well reviewed locally.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #82
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
Wow, Peter, I'm jealous. As I sit and sip my pedestrian Beefeater, I'll be wondering which one of those would make the best martini?
They all make a fine martini.

Just picked up two more.

While Bombay Sapphire has been a go-to staple for a long time, I had never hear of Bombay Sapphire East. Found one bottle Total Wine yesterday. Needless to say I grabbed it. Very nice!

The second bottle is one that intrigued me. I bought it yesterday as well but have not cracked it open yet.

High Spirits Desert Dry Gin (Distilled at 7000' in Flagstaff AZ)
"It has a distinctively delicious ultra smooth taste of white wheat and american rye. The flavor comes from selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor."

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #83
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Peter, while I'm more of a beer guy than anything else, the Bombay Sapphire is my go-to gin when I order a Martini, but I'm intrigued by this Bombay Sapphire East. Would you mind posing your thoughts on how it differs from the "Regular" Bombay Sapphire?

PS: Trader Joes has a new gin under their umbrella, I just noticed it on the new products shelf about two weeks ago. Called "Jailhouse Gin" IIRC. 43%ABV. Allegedly made in the SF bay area somewhere.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #84
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Peter, while I'm more of a beer guy than anything else, the Bombay Sapphire is my go-to gin when I order a Martini, but I'm intrigued by this Bombay Sapphire East. Would you mind posing your thoughts on how it differs from the "Regular" Bombay Sapphire?
I am not one who can easily pick out and describe flavors. I will say that I find the BS East to be more aromatic and floral.

The description on the bottle says "Vapour Infused with additional Thai Lemongrass and Vietnamese Black Peppercorns"

84 proof. I paid $32.99 for a full liter.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #85
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I am not one who can easily pick out and describe flavors. I will say that I find the BS East to be more aromatic and floral.

The description on the bottle says "Vapour Infused with additional Thai Lemongrass and Vietnamese Black Peppercorns"

You had me at peppercorns.

Oh, wait...

Seriously, that's great actually, all the description I needed. I'm not worried about trying to pick out miniscule flavors that I'm probably not going to care about after I get halfway through the first drink, if I even notice them at all. The overall bouquet and how pronounced it is, that's all I'm interested in.

Thanks.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #86
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
You had me at peppercorns.

Oh, wait...

Seriously, that's great actually, all the description I needed. I'm not worried about trying to pick out miniscule flavors that I'm probably not going to care about after I get halfway through the first drink, if I even notice them at all. The overall bouquet and how pronounced it is, that's all I'm interested in.

Thanks.
It's quite nice.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #87
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
They all make a fine martini.

Just picked up two more.

While Bombay Sapphire has been a go-to staple for a long time, I had never hear of Bombay Sapphire East. Found one bottle Total Wine yesterday. Needless to say I grabbed it. Very nice!

This I want to try. Been on a Hendricks kick lately but Bombay Sapphire has always been a regular for me. Peppercorns?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #88
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Sapphire East!?!....and I thought I knew everything! ....will be on the lookout for that...really interested in the "selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor." of the High Spirits gin!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #89
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Sapphire East!?!....and I thought I knew everything! ....will be on the lookout for that...really interested in the "selective botanicals that include some native of the southwest and sonora desert for the unique flavor." of the High Spirits gin!
Both are very good. Not disappointed with my purchase. But I think I like the Sapphire East better.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #90
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Bet this would make a great dirty martini. Gotta find me some!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #91
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Newest purchase. Have yet to try.

http://www.farmersgin.com/home
Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #92
ChicagoWhiteSox

My favorite Gin:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #93
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
My favorite Gin:
Same here. But I haven't tried half the ones Peter has posted.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #94
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Same here. But I haven't tried half the ones Peter has posted.
I love Hendricks as well.
But that is like saying I love Padron or Fuente cigars and not realizing there is a huge population of other wonderful brands out there.

My immersion into craft (small batch) gins has been absolutely wonderful.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #95
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad I came across this thread today! I'm not a big gin drinker but have wanted to dive further into it. I have enjoyed GNT's for years when I'm out with the wife but never really cared or specified what brand of gin to use. From what I have read it seem like for those you can use pretty much anything. I really want to try more martinis. Are there acceptable and unacceptable gins to use for martinis? Also, could anyone be so kind as to steer me in the direction for a decent all-purpose gin or for that matter one I should try right away?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #96
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby4781 View Post
I'm glad I came across this thread today! I'm not a big gin drinker but have wanted to dive further into it. I have enjoyed GNT's for years when I'm out with the wife but never really cared or specified what brand of gin to use. From what I have read it seem like for those you can use pretty much anything. I really want to try more martinis. Are there acceptable and unacceptable gins to use for martinis? Also, could anyone be so kind as to steer me in the direction for a decent all-purpose gin or for that matter one I should try right away?
I'm a GNT guy. Never got into martinis but I haven't really tried too many. I would like to try some in the future to see if I like them or not. Personally, I can tell a big difference between gins when mixed with tonic. Just my
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #97
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
You can get away with using cheaper liquor when mixing in cocktails. However, using a higher end liquor will make a much tastier cocktail.

My favorite, everyday gin is New Amsterdam. I can get a 1.5L for $18-$20. And it is good enough to drink in a martini.

If you are starting out with martinis, I suggest New Amsterdam, Tanqueray, Beefeater and/or Bombay. I would not use the cheapo brands of gin.

If you have a question about a specific gin, feel free to post about it here or PM me.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #98
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Apparently Tuthilltown Spirits (a local mico-batch distillery here in the Catskills of NY) recently released their new Half Moon Orchard Gin, made from wheat and apples. Haven't been able to find it anywhere, even at the local shops that carry Tuthilltown's Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey. I may have to take a trip down to the distillery for a tour and sample!

http://www.tuthilltown.com/category/...unaged-spirits

Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #99
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My favorite, everyday gin is New Amsterdam. I can get a 1.5L for $18-$20. And it is good enough to drink in a martini.

If you are starting out with martinis, I suggest New Amsterdam, Tanqueray, Beefeater and/or Bombay. I would not use the cheapo brands of gin.
Thanks, Peter! Looks like I will be stopping by the liquor store on my way home. Any suggestions/lessons about the beginner's martini?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #100
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Thanks, Peter! Looks like I will be stopping by the liquor store on my way home. Any suggestions/lessons about the beginner's martini?
Like anything, it's all about personal preference.

Some like them stirred over ice. Others, like me, like them shaken and then strained into a martini glass. Some say shake gently. I prefer them shaken vigorously. Amount of (dry) vermouth is definitely one of taste. Many say waving the cap of the vermouth bottle over the shaker is plenty (none). I have seen the proportion as high as 3 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. I prefer ~5 to 1. I will usually just free pour a capful or a tad more into the shaker with the ice and gin. Whenever I try a new gin, like the many I've recently posted above, I omit the vermouth in order to get the true flavor of the gin. I then revert to adding some (but not much).

There is much to be enjoyed in the experimentation.