Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Punch Gran Cru #2 Maduro

This torpedo had a very crisp box press to it and a thick, toothy wrapper with a few large veins. The prelight aroma was of light hay and the prelight draw was easy. It was a well constructed cigar and felt good in the hand.
Despite the easy draw the first third proved a struggle to get much smoke out of the cigar. The flavors were mostly earthy and vegetal, with some tea and cinnamon notes and a salty, mineral finish.
The second third gave more smoke and a more spicy flavor, with some floral and citrus notes coming through intermittently.
For the last third the cigar really came alive. I would have liked for it to taste this way the whole time, or at least have this much flavor. The cigar was much more full bodied at this point, with a meaty, leathery profile and some cocoa and coffee notes with a spicy finish.
This cigar was very smooth and had a decent development of flavors for an NC, but I would have liked it to have more punch to it in the beginning, rather than waiting until the last third to get interesting. It was medium bodied. I give it an 88 non-blind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (76.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 009.jpg (81.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 015.jpg (83.5 KB, 212 views)
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Punch Gran Cru #2 Maduro

Thanks for the review!
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

Interesting review. I have a box of these from February this year. Your flavor profile is right on. I found the ones I've tried to have more flavor right from the start with a good amount of smoke volume.

I wonder if we are smoking cigars from different batches.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca21455 View Post
Interesting review. I have a box of these from February this year. Your flavor profile is right on. I found the ones I've tried to have more flavor right from the start with a good amount of smoke volume.

I wonder if we are smoking cigars from different batches.
Mine was a single that was nearly a year old and a touch dry, it may have had a hairline crack that decreased the smoke for the first half.
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote