Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #2661
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HailTheBrownLeaf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Gotcha.

So a little while ago, I went to swap out the new not as cold ice blocks from yesterday morning in my cooler with the other 3 that I had freezing in my freezer yesterday (to get them ready to alternatively swap out once they froze).

When I swapped them out, I noticed a bit of fog/condensation and water droplets on the inside corner of the side my tupperdor. Was this just because the ice blocks have been stacked beside it?

I assume it's nothing to worry about right as my tupperdor is a 7L Klip-It with a very good seal. I opened it up, wiped it off with a tissue and sealed it back up. Should I be worried about condensation getting in there as I have 2 Spanish trays in my tupperdor...my bottom one being currently empty aside from a Boveda and the top one is the one I'm using for my sticks right now, another Boveda pack, and my hygro.
HailTheBrownLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #2662
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I would make sure that the ice blocks are not touching your tupperdore -- the condensation can cause problems unless you have some beads to absorb it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #2663
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

The condensation in your 'dor is being caused by the cold blocks you put in. If the air or any of the surfaces in your 'dor get below 15 or 16 C, they will get condensation on them. It's the same principle as morning dew on the grass. When you get that sweat condensation, it's pulling water out of the air. So, that's why you saw your rH drop too.

I agree with other who said you shouldn't obsess on temperature. It'll be alright as long as you keep your humidity control devices going.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #2664
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for the info friends.

Based on that, I rearranged my blocks by stacking them on top of each other in the corner of my cooler so that they are not touching my tupperdor anymore. I then took a few Ziploc freezer bags, folded them, and put them in the space between my Tupperdor and the blocks in my cooler as kind of like a little condensation/melting mess barrier thingie.

I'm at 72F and 59% RH at the moment. I'm just beyond happy that my sticks and Tupperdor are actually at a normal temperature now lol. And I'm sure that if I add more sticks, my RH will go up. Which will be easy as I have an order of cigars on its way to me as we speak.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #2665
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Well last week I placed my first ever online order with CP and today it arrived:

The sticks are now in my Tupperdor. But how do I use the travel humi??

I assume I can remove the cardboard inserts on top of the cedar linings (that tell you what each cigar in the sampler is) inside the humi right??? But then do I need to season it or anything???
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #2666
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Is that like a sampler pack deal with some sticks in a humi that's made to hold them? Does it' have foam inserts or something to hold the sticks? I'm sure you can take the cardboard out, seems that was if you were going to keep the sticks in that box, as far as seasoning, I think for most travel humidors you can just toss some beads or a humi pack in there and it will be fine.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #2667
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Is that like a sampler pack deal with some sticks in a humi that's made to hold them? Does it' have foam inserts or something to hold the sticks? I'm sure you can take the cardboard out, seems that was if you were going to keep the sticks in that box, as far as seasoning, I think for most travel humidors you can just toss some beads or a humi pack in there and it will be fine.
It had thin disposable plastic thingies to hold each stick during transport from the manufacturer to the B&M/people's homes I assume.

See?

And yes it's the CAO Champions II sampler of 10 CAO sticks plus the travel humi
Old 09-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #2668
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Is anywhere from 71-75.5F a good temperature for my Tupperdor if I have it in a cooler with some ice blocks due to my apartment having no A/C???

My RH will be anywhere from 60-65% as I'm using 65% Bovedas
Old 09-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #2669
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Yes that is a fine temperature, you just don't want it soaring pas the 80s.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #2670
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

So I just smoked and really enjoyed a CAO Colombia Magdalena (which was also my first torpedo cigar I've had) but I noticed on one part of the stick there were a few little brown-ish black dots (kinda like freckles or acne) on the wrapper.

What were they? Mold? Waterspots?? Should I be concerned as I smoked the entire stick to the nub since it was so delicious.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #2671
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Most likely nothing to worry about -- next time take a pic and post it so that we can get a better idea of what they might be.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #2672
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

First Name: Robb
Army (Retired)
Ripplingh2o is on a distinguished road

Morning inmates. So I ran into a situation the other day that had me scratching my head. Stopped by our local B&M (I take pause to actually call them that because of the other paraphernalia they sell). Anyway, spent 10 minutes in their walk-in looking at various cigars when I noticed the digital hydrometer read 74. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything but should I have said something to the fella behind the counter or leave it alone? Thanks.
Ripplingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #2673
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

That's a difficult one to give a general answer for. It doesn't hurt to say anything, but it's hard to say what kind of response you will get when you do. Some owners/clerks do care, some don't know or don't care, others are clinging to the "70/70" fallacy. And of course there are external factors that might be causing a temporary 74 reading and things are actually ok in there, and you glanced over at that moment.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #2674
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Adam is correct. It could also be a case where the 74% digital readout actually means 68% because the hygrometer is off and cannot be adjusted. Lots of reasons good and bad for that reading...

You could say something like "I noticed that the hygrometer is reading 74% relative humidity. Is that what you keep your cigars at?" Asking a question rather than implying anything wrong is often the safest way to go.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #2675
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

Army (Retired)

Mailman brought me another variety of cigars this morning. Was so looking forward to trying this single Baccarat stick. Just toasted it up after supper and it's so loose it's like drawing air thru a straw. Can't hardly keep it lit & it seems to be burning down small pathways along parts of the wrapper. Ended up pitching it. So what would cause such a loose draw? I assume just a loose/poor roll. Oh well, will buy another later and try again. Spose that happens from time to time.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #2676
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

It could be that the tobacco is dry -- you might try to store the remaining cigars in your humidor for a while and try one again in a few months.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #2677
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Yep, what Michael said. I order a lot of sticks online and I always try to let them rest in my humi for at least 30 days before trying one in order to let them acclimate to my preferences.

Sometimes I've even patient enough to make it the whole 30 days.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #2678
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Yep, what Michael said. I order a lot of sticks online and I always try to let them rest in my humi for at least 30 days before trying one in order to let them acclimate to my preferences.

Sometimes I've even patient enough to make it the whole 30 days.
I got some El Principes in today and waited almost 15 minutes.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #2679
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I got some El Principes in today and waited almost 15 minutes.
oh aged!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #2680
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

Army (Retired)

As a relative newb, I don't yet have an aged inventory of cigars. Seems as I get new cigars (like the Baccarat) I can't wait 30 days before trying it. I'm with Tom here, 15 minutes sounds about right.