Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #61
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ubuntu!

Workin on it now!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #62
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Got it all working, it's a little different but I could get used to that no problem. I also set up a Live thumbdrive to make startups a little easier as I figure out if I want to make the switch. So it all went well except the Wifi. I looked for a few mins 10 or so but really didn't know what to do. Is there a control panel or something? Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #63
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Check restricted drivers section to make sure that the wifi card is enabled.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #64
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennD View Post
Check restricted drivers section to make sure that the wifi card is enabled.
Thanks I'll take a look.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #65
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Should be a network icon in the panel next to the date/time. What hardware are you running? What is your wireless card? When I've had issues with wireless cards in the past I've done a Google search to see if anyone else has run into similar issues. There have been a few times where I knew the hardware just wouldn't work with the time/effort I was willing to put in. Luckily, this hasn't happened with any hardware that I own.

Hopefully your wired connection still operates and you have access to plug straight in to a router, etc. If so, you can click on System - Administration - Hardware Drivers and see if Ubuntu finds any drivers for your wireless card.

If it doesn't find any, you can still use windows wireless drivers by downloading from the manufacturer and using ndiswrapper. The operation could get a little more complicated then desired, but searching through the Ubuntu forums really helps in these situations.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #66
kenstogie

Army (Active)

I'll give it a shot thanks Tristan.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #67
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

This may be a long shot but I just installed ubuntu 9.04 via virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. I've had trouble installing the VMWare tools, does anyone have any experience with this?

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #68
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne View Post
This may be a long shot but I just installed ubuntu 9.04 via virtual machine using VMWare Fusion. I've had trouble installing the VMWare tools, does anyone have any experience with this?
Yes. The installation does not include the kernel headers or libraries by default. There may also be trouble with the version of gcc installed vs what the kernel was compiled with. The error message from the tools installation would be helpful.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #69
kenstogie

Army (Active)

So I loaded up a thumb drive with Ubuntu and brought it to work, plugged it in and low and behold it worked. It also browsed the internet rather easily. Is this frowned upon by the IT department? I have a feeling it is but thought I would ask the inmates.

FWIW I only used it for about a minute so I could have "plausible deniability" that and I have known the IT Guy for a decade and I'll be asking him as soon as I can.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #70
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
So I loaded up a thumb drive with Ubuntu and brought it to work, plugged it in and low and behold it worked. It also browsed the internet rather easily. Is this frowned upon by the IT department? I have a feeling it is but thought I would ask the inmates.

FWIW I only used it for about a minute so I could have "plausible deniability" that and I have known the IT Guy for a decade and I'll be asking him as soon as I can.

Totally depends on where you work. If it's the Gov. you may get in big trouble. Some places could fire you. Most places would go "huh?"
Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #71
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post

Totally depends on where you work. If it's the Gov. you may get in big trouble. Some places could fire you. Most places would go "huh?"
I'll be alright I just did it to see if it would work. I know they use a linux distro on thier boxes for trouble shooting/back up etc so it's not to big a deal and I've known the IT guys for years and seem to recall them doing this very thing. Getting on the network they would be more ticked at than using the hardware. but I appreciate the info on IT dpt Opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #72
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

I used a thumb drive with puppy linux almost exclusively at work the whole last year. Their windows xp based machines were so poorly maintained, puppy freed me from a lot of hassles. It's amazing what decent hardware can do when it's not being bogged down by a badly maintained windows setup.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #73
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

BTW, Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Alpha 5 is running great on my Dell Mini 10V netbook. The speed CRUSHES Windows XP. There are a few bugs that need to be worked out, but by the time of the official release I think it will be a nice step up from the current version.

A few things look promising. 9.10 uses EXT4 partitions by default, Firefox 3.5 and Ubuntu One, an application that automatically uplinks and syncs files between computers. Pretty cool!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #74
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
A few things look promising. 9.10 uses EXT4 partitions by default, Firefox 3.5 and Ubuntu One, an application that automatically uplinks and syncs files between computers. Pretty cool!
I haven't played with the 9.10 alpha yet, how does ubuntu one stack up against dropbox? I use it know and like it a lot.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #75
kenstogie

Army (Active)

So I have a Medion Laptop (who?) Yea that's what everyone says except Europeans some times. It's kind of semi old 3 years and I did the google search on my Winbond W89C33 mPCI 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter. And of the 8 or so hits/post I sampled...

"winbond is not supported in linux nor does ndiswrapper support it." or something similiar.

Many were in other languages too.

So for me it's back to Winblows. Oh well. At least I have the actual install disc
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #76
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
So I have a Medion Laptop (who?) Yea that's what everyone says except Europeans some times. It's kind of semi old 3 years and I did the google search on my Winbond W89C33 mPCI 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter. And of the 8 or so hits/post I sampled...

"winbond is not supported in linux nor does ndiswrapper support it." or something similiar.

Many were in other languages too.

So for me it's back to Winblows. Oh well. At least I have the actual install disc
You could always get a PCcard or usb wireless adapter. It will likely work better anyway. Then you can run Kismet
You should search first for compatibility.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #77
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
You could always get a PCcard or usb wireless adapter. It will likely work better anyway. Then you can run Kismet
You should search first for compatibility.
If I could get one cheaply and it's not a big thing to get it going I am not adverse to it. With budget laptops being fairly inexpensive I may opt for a new one, when my current one gives up the ghost.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #78
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
how does ubuntu one stack up against dropbox? I use it know and like it a lot.
I'll have to give it a shot! I've tried Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu netbook remix, DSL and PC Linux as well as Knoppix, but there are many distros I haven't played with yet!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #79
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
I'll have to give it a shot! I've tried Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu netbook remix, DSL and PC Linux as well as Knoppix, but there are many distros I haven't played with yet!
Dropbox isn't a distro, it's a service that let's you sync files between mac, linux, or windows. I've been using it for some time as I use all three and it is convienient. Ubuntu One sounds like it does the same thing.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #80
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Dropbox isn't a distro, it's a service that let's you sync files between mac, linux, or windows. I've been using it for some time as I use all three and it is convienient. Ubuntu One sounds like it does the same thing.
Gotcha! Ubuntu One isn't working perfectly yet, still in beta. I like the concept and it seems like it will be slick when the bugs are worked out. I'll have to look into Dropbox a little more, fees, storage, etc.