Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
Cyanide

Default Re: I'm done with FOX.

True true true

But, if they want to parade around in the drapes of a professional body (in essence they are "playing the part" of journalists, although loosely) then they either have to step up and work within those codes or face "the consequences". Practicing medicine without a license is a felony, I am sure that doing the equivalency within law is probably also illegal. There should be similar considerations then within journalism.

But I think I will stop before I start sounding like a communistic crack-pot (oooops, some would say I am already there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
We have such a code and live by or face sanctions, both from our readers (or viewers) and the legal system. Those guys on FOX aren't journalists. They're as far from journalism as you can get.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #42
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
We have such a code and live by or face sanctions, both from our readers (or viewers) and the legal system. Those guys on FOX aren't journalists. They're as far from journalism as you can get.
Are you talking about FOX News as a whole, or just Red Eye?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #43
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Are you talking about FOX News as a whole, or just Red Eye?
Red Eye. Haven't seen a standard newscast on FOX.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #44
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Red Eye. Haven't seen a standard newscast on FOX.
I see. I agree that Red Eye doesnt have real journalism. I totally agree that the origninal statement made on Red Eye was completely BS. Should they be taken off the air? I dont think so. The viewer should control that. Should you stop watching FOX because of it? Thats your choice. But I think there is a reason that FOX News leads all other news channels.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #45
BC-Axeman

I don't think more than 15 people knew Red Eye existed before this. If now 45 people watch it then they have tippled their audience. A total success story.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #46
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
While they should not be barred from spouting their insensitive crass BS, their reputation, careers and legitimacy should be impacted by the quality and accuracy of their words.
Agreed, but now you're talking about a deep rooted societal and ethical problem at the core of well.... TOO MANY @#^#$&%@$#%!@ people in this society today... I fear we may have already trashed ourselves beyond ethical repair
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #47
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road

I am deeply offended by not just this particular episode, but the more deeply rooted stereotypes and ignorances that are the real reason that they said these things in the first place. While I don't want to appear hypocritical (and in no way am I trying to accuse any BOTL here), in my experiences, the "worldlyness" of most citizens of the USA is below that of most other countries. Why is that? They don't have to be because they are as powerful as they are. However, the ignorance of Canada (or any other country for that manner) bites them once in a while like this particular show.

I have no idea who these 5 people are. I have never heard of them, except I recall the "comedian" was on Last Comic Standing in the past, I guess that makes him an expert in international affairs. They clearly show that they have no idea of this country, and they are no better than the people you see driving across the border in July with skis strapped to their cars looking for the ski hills!

The sad thing is, we really can't do anything about it. A "boycott" of Fox or it's advertisers would not be effective because technically, the Canadian audience is not part of their demographic and our dollars are not a factor. I don't watch any Fox shows anyways, there is nothing there worth watching (cartoons? give me a break).

I get sick and tired of watching the sterotypes of this country portrayed on US-based TV.

This country has a long history of participation in international military actions. We were participants in the Boer War and then both World Wars - way before the US in both cases I may add - Korea, the first Gulf war and lately Afghanistan. How many Americans know about the Canadians that enlisted, fought and died in the 1960's and 1970's in Vietnam? We invented the PeaceKeeping arm of the UN and spent many years doing just that. We are a country of less than 30 million people. At the end of WW II, we had the 4th largest navy in the world. We do not shy away from a fight - as long as it's justified!

The more I think about these jerks on Fox the angrier I get. I would suggest to anyone to pick up a book on Canadian history, I think you would be surprised at what you read.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #48
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post

Yeah, getting young people in touch with what's really going on using a humourous approach to point out the absurdities and lies of those in control using actual facts.

I may have missed a few episodes, but I've never seen him bash any troops.
Was he hard on Bush? Sure, but early into the new administration, he seems to be an equal opportunity basher.

It may be just a basic cable show, but he does ask the tough questions of those responsible. I don't think that's bad journalism.
Its more the young people who use Jon Stewart, a comedian, as their only source of "news" and take it all as fact

As far as this video goes, Red Eye is hardly news as well...and what they said is in real poor taste and if they were taken off the air I wouldn't lose any sleep.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #49
BC-Axeman

I wouldn't take these comedians seriously. We have top politicians, even presidential candidates call our soldiers lazy, stupid losers who had no future so they joined the military. This is how Jon Stewart portrayed them in order to bash Bush. Al Franken has done the same. One Congressman claimed our Marines were GUILTY of MURDER and the hadn't even been tried! Our leading newspapers propagate these stereotypes. These guys on Red Eye were cracking jokes about soldiers asking for time off. That is pretty funny. They did take it too far, but there are far worse things, especially in Canada, to worry about than some almost nonexistent comedians who no one had ever heard about before.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #50
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I wouldn't take these comedians seriously. We have top politicians, even presidential candidates call our soldiers lazy, stupid losers who had no future so they joined the military. This is how Jon Stewart portrayed them in order to bash Bush. Al Franken has done the same. One Congressman claimed our Marines were GUILTY of MURDER and the hadn't even been tried! Our leading newspapers propagate these stereotypes. These guys on Red Eye were cracking jokes about soldiers asking for time off. That is pretty funny. They did take it too far, but there are far worse things, especially in Canada, to worry about than some almost nonexistent comedians who no one had ever heard about before.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #51
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I watched segments of that Red Eye show when it first aired. It's supposed to be witty and funny, but it's neither. It's actually unbelievably bad television. I'm amazed that it is still around.

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #52
zonedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
+1.

Couldn't have said it any better.

BTW, to the Canadians and other allies, Thanks for being there for your friends.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #53
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOrrell View Post
I am deeply offended by not just this particular episode, but the more deeply rooted stereotypes and ignorances that are the real reason that they said these things in the first place. While I don't want to appear hypocritical (and in no way am I trying to accuse any BOTL here), in my experiences, the "worldlyness" of most citizens of the USA is below that of most other countries. Why is that? They don't have to be because they are as powerful as they are. However, the ignorance of Canada (or any other country for that manner) bites them once in a while like this particular show.

I have no idea who these 5 people are. I have never heard of them, except I recall the "comedian" was on Last Comic Standing in the past, I guess that makes him an expert in international affairs. They clearly show that they have no idea of this country, and they are no better than the people you see driving across the border in July with skis strapped to their cars looking for the ski hills!

The sad thing is, we really can't do anything about it. A "boycott" of Fox or it's advertisers would not be effective because technically, the Canadian audience is not part of their demographic and our dollars are not a factor. I don't watch any Fox shows anyways, there is nothing there worth watching (cartoons? give me a break).

I get sick and tired of watching the sterotypes of this country portrayed on US-based TV.

This country has a long history of participation in international military actions. We were participants in the Boer War and then both World Wars - way before the US in both cases I may add - Korea, the first Gulf war and lately Afghanistan. How many Americans know about the Canadians that enlisted, fought and died in the 1960's and 1970's in Vietnam? We invented the PeaceKeeping arm of the UN and spent many years doing just that. We are a country of less than 30 million people. At the end of WW II, we had the 4th largest navy in the world. We do not shy away from a fight - as long as it's justified!

The more I think about these jerks on Fox the angrier I get. I would suggest to anyone to pick up a book on Canadian history, I think you would be surprised at what you read.
Who cares. You didn't know who the comedians were, they weren't on your radar. You're a grown man. Your country is full of grown men. So act like it and ignore idiots.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #54
Seanohue
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Sean
HUpmann
Seanohue is on a distinguished road

Do what I do; don't watch TV. I think it's been 9 months since I've seen a live TV program.
Seanohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #55
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Who cares. You didn't know who the comedians were, they weren't on your radar. You're a grown man. Your country is full of grown men. So act like it and ignore idiots.
Let's keep the personal comments toward Asylum members out of the discussion here.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #56
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
BTW, to the Canadians and other allies, Thanks for being there for your friends.
+1
Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #57
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Thanks you for such an excellent post. You're right, they were not on my radar, and why should a statement about a Canadian Armed Forces General be on theirs? It's attitudes like those portrayed on the show in question and your attitude here, explains why the US is not held in the highest regard around the world.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #58
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks you for such an excellent post. You're right, they were not on my radar, and why should a statement about a Canadian Armed Forces General be on theirs? It's attitudes like those portrayed on the show in question and your attitude here, explains why the US is not held in the highest regard around the world.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Let's keep the personal comments toward Asylum members out of the discussion here.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #59
BC-Axeman

Quote:
AS compared to France, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, Venezuela, Mexico, Italy, Syria, China, Pakistan, Columbia, Egypt, Indonesia, etc.

I'm not losing any sleep.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #60
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
LOL, I now represent the United States? Alright, let me clarify: I was not trying to insult you. I'm trying to say this: Don't let people that don't matter matter. Getting deeply offended by words gives the speaker power. Do not give him that power by reacting.

To further clarify, I think Canadians are perfectly fine. I've never met a bad Canadian (though most of my experiences in Canada involved strippers, bartenders, etc.) I think anyone serving their country (i.e Candian military) is brave and honorable: which is exactly why I don't think it's necessary to be offended on their behalf.

My point was that I don't think you should give these guys and their words power over your day. Don't let them wreck your day man, by knowing you're on the side of right you should be secure.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote