Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opinions regarding Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
even there we would have the occasional person come along trying to sell us authentic glass tops. Like you they started to by pass me when I called them out on being fakes.
LOL!!! That was the funniest part of the whole trip. IMO!! I was with a cruise group of 30 people, with ten friends around me when I called them out; ten friends who were just about to buy some of the glass-tops!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Our Cozumel operation is actually there in Chankanaab, if I am in Mexico I am there once or twice a week.

No offense taken - I thank you.

Please keep the comments coming as I want to share the honest truth with the team. I will not be using anyone's name or handle, it will be a general summary.

For those that go on a cruise, is Cozumel a compelling reason to choose one over the other? Either a positive or negative?

This really is helping me, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

What is your perception of Mexico?

The border towns are in turmoil, it is sad and scary to read about what is going on there with the cartels. I hope for the good people there sakes' the find a solution.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?

Yes....I have been to many places in Mexico, and many of the tourist destinations were fun. I would probably not return to Cancun because of the unrepaired damage the hurricanes have done to the beaches, but would certainly consider some of the other tourist destinations.

Would you feel safe in Mexico?

In many of the tourist destinations, yes.

Places that I have been that I would not return to are border towns (Juarez, Tiajuana) because of safety issues, Acapulco because of police corruption aimed at US tourists, and Mexico City because of crime in general.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

Pluses....Affordable vacations in many instances, some beautiful places.

Minuses....the issues I spoke about in the places I would not return to.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #24
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Our Cozumel operation is actually there in Chankanaab, if I am in Mexico I am there once or twice a week.

No offense taken - I thank you.

Please keep the comments coming as I want to share the honest truth with the team. I will not be using anyone's name or handle, it will be a general summary.

For those that go on a cruise, is Cozumel a compelling reason to choose one over the other? Either a positive or negative?

This really is helping me, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
For the cruise that the wife and I recently took it was the Mexico destinations that really enticed us to choose that one but to be totally honest with you if we decided to another cruise and there are Mexican destinations we will probably look for another itinerary unless the other destinations are really places we really want to see but we would probably only spend minimal time off the boat at the Mexican ports. Just telling you the truth. Had we been left alone we probably would have really enjoyed those two spots but it got really old really fast especially when one gentleman told us he knew where LCDH was after asking for directions and he was playing the game of trying to bring me to all his buddies faux shops telling me it was where I wanted to be which every time I was like no this isn't it but thanks I got it from here but he wouldn't leave us alone no matter how rude I tried to be. I lied and said I was meeting a friend from the area there and that is when he decided to be honest and tell me he didn't know where it was. This was after an hour of getting the run around. I gave him a couple bucks and that wasn't even good enough and he begged for more. At that point I lost it and basically told him to leave us the F alone and be happy I gave him anything after jerking me off for an hour especially since at the time my wife was pregnant and it was hot as hell.
Chakanaab is beautiful and we really did enjoy our time there.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #25
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I'm a little odd and spent a great deal of my single years rambling through places like Nicaragua in the early 90's and Medellin Colombia up until the time I got married with several trips to Brazil sprinkled in between.

There's always been something about "dangerous" places and the lack of American tourists that makes it more fun.

I've since changed that attitude since I now travel with a 5 year old.

I'd go to Mexico in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

Responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

What is your perception of Mexico? Bad - Drug Wars & Corruption

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No
If not, why? I'm going to take a different tact - I refuse to support a country that is systematically invading our borders. Plenty of other places in the Caribbean where I can vacation and in turn support the local economy.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? No. Been there - outside of the compound where I was staying I did not feel safe at all.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Biggest plus - proximity. Biggest minus - it is a war zone where the government can't be trusted.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

This, however, I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACc5J...eature=related
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the Admiral on this one. A lot of negative press has been given to Mexico (and rightly so) about the border towns. There are a lot of good people in Mexico and places to see, but the border areas are filled with crime and danger. I've never been to Mexico; all info I have is from the media and other second hand sources.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I would not be inclined to go to Mexico. As has been stated, crime is the main reason. When I travel I may go to a resort, but I also want to travel the countryside and see the local sights, eat at local restaurants, and take in some of the local lifestyle. I know when my mother has travelled to Cancun and Cozumel she was advised not to leave the resort area. I would be more incluned to go to Honduras if I were to make a trip to that part of the world.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

What is your perception of Mexico? Complicated. Parts are wonderful and parts are nasty. I used to go to Juarez regularly but wouldn't go there now. I would still consider most of the tourist towns like Puerto Vallarta.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why? Yes but not at the top. There are places with similar benefits that are cleaner and safer.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? Generally. The likelihood of actually getting caught up in the drug violence is low. (Assuming you aren't being careless.)

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Plus Beautiful. I love Mexican food. Used to be really cheap. Minus. There is more risk. Can be poor and dirty. (My issue with Jamaica as well.)

For a warm ocean destination I would go to either the Bahamas or St. Martin over Mexico every time.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

A country with corrupt politics and high crime rates. Although it's been that way for a long time, it's worse today. And VW Bug taxi cabs everywhere.

Maybe for a fishing trip (fly, surf, offshore). I know people who traveled to parts of Mexico for fishing trips and had a very good time. I'm sure someone would be able to recommend what/where, but I can't think of specific destinations at the moment.

If not, why?
There are plenty of spots in the US to sit on a beach and drink.

I would be 'ok' going somewhere that was recommended as a good fishing destination. As with any foreign travel precautions must be taken. I have no desire to travel into the MX/US border towns.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?
Plus: Dollar to Peso conversion, different culture, distinct fish species
Minus: crime rate, pollution (relative)
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #32
Tank

Lot's of great input here! I head down at least once a year. I always feel safe there but I don't go out at night and I stay in public areas. I fly into Cancun and immediately shuttle down to Playa Del Carmen. I prefer that area and don't even frequent Cancun anymore.

Cozumel Palace in Cozumel is now my favorite destination and I am off the mainland and never felt insecure as of late. El Presidente and Iberostar on Cozumel are also awesome! For the east I have no hesitation to recommend Cozumel. And even Play del Carmen has automatic weapon armed security because they know that is a cash cow for them.

If you like the Pacific coast then Manzanillo is the place to go. Not well known and out of the way. The Riu is nice there.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #33
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Never again. We went once and it was more than enough. After getting shook down at the airport by the passport checker for 200 bucks and our friends stopped in a taxi and shook down for another 60 by cops, our first hour in Mexico was a real eye opener. These are the people who are supposed to protect you?

Taco Bell is the closest I'm gonna make a run to the boarder any time soon.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

A country in turmoil struggling to root out the drug cartels and pervasive corruption.

If not, why?

No. I've had a great time on all my vacations to Mexico (Cancun, Mazatlan, Cabo, Baja), but I will not return until the violence subsides.

The wife, friends, family and I would travel down to Baja (Rosarito/Puerto Nuevo) several times a year to enjoy long weekends. It's a relatively easy drive from LA. We enjoyed kicking back, having a few drinks and eating langostino. Our last trip was in August '07. Since then, reports of violence in Rosarito and Tiajuana have kept us away. That said, I'd return once things get under control

Not at the moment.

Plus - depending on the destination, relatively close to Southern California. Great, relaxing atmosphere.
Minus - corruption and violence
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #35
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

If not, why?

I don't know about the other questions, but the biggest plus is Inés Sainz
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #36
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
... And even Play del Carmen has automatic weapon armed security because they know that is a cash cow for them.

Reason enough not to go for me. They would not be paying for guards without a damn good reason.

I am a fairly seasoned traveler courtesy of Uncle Sam's canoe club. Way too many other safer and cleaner places to visit for my $$$. One always has to be aware as a "tourist" your marked for easy bucks. "Hey Joes" exist every where. Mexico has never had a strong pull for me and lately with the crime, their attitudes towards us like we owe their illegals here something - not a chance.

Sand and fun - Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc.

Countries in general I had a great time or a lot of fun in - Greece, Spain, Palma de Mallorca, Singapore and England

Countries that were either not enjoyable or dangerous - Isreal, Italy, France, Egypt

Countries I would return to with some caution - Turkey, Dubai, Crete

Countries on the bucket list - The Land of Tulips, any of the Scandinavian countries, Canada, Australia
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I’ve been traveling to Mexico since the early seventies. Back then the biggest negative was corruption. Today it seems the corruption has merged with drug violence to form a particularly nasty stew. The country itself is beautiful with an interesting history. The people are a mixed bag like everywhere else – some good, some bad. It's just that now the bad are really bad.

If not, why?
About the only way I would travel to Mexico today would be on a cruise ship where I had the choice to stay on board or get off the ship. We’re actually taking a cruise to Mexico the end of October. Wish me luck in Acapulco.

It would depend where I was. I’d definitely be on high alert and stay aware of my surroundings.

Temperate weather and beautiful country offset by the opportunity to be kidnapped, held up or murdered.

Personally I like Cozumel and feel safer there than on the mainland. While I wouldn’t specifically book a cruise because it was going to Cozumel (I prefer to visit new places when I cruise, given the choice), I’d look on it as a good port when selecting an itinerary. We stopped there last March.

One point I'll add is I've traveled through Mexico enough to be fairly comfortable there, or at least not to be terrified of the entire country. But I can see where tourists who have never been there would look at the current levels of violence and decide to go elsewhere, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #38
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

A beautiful country with some bad areas just like the USA

Yes, we're thinking about going to the Riviera Maya area for our honeymoon sometime in the next few months into early-mid next year.

Where I go, yes. I've been to Cozumel numerous times and felt completely safe there. I've also done tours on the mainland and felt safe. Costa Maya was a great place to get a chair, drink beer and eat chips & salsa

Biggest plus - Short flights, value, weather, history, cheap fishing

Biggest minus - the northern borders and the drug war going on and the pushy "must buy" this and that attitude.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #39
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You know I am biased, but here are my responses:

A country of vast regional and culinary differences with an untamed factor to it. Very stylish and hip on one end; desperate and dangerous on the other. Mexico has the world’s 2nd largest city and many friendly people,

If not, why?

I’d stay with my parents on Isla Mujeres, or with cousins in Mexico City. I would like to see Merida, but Mexico City is pretty high up on where I’d like visit. Many famous restaurants and looks pretty cool. The Mexican highways and travelling by bus is a drag; very dull and un-scenic roads (at least in QR).

Yes, for the places I would go, 100%

Plusses: Food, value, beaches and culture. Minuses: heat, potential danger, and getting sick.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #40
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

- What is your perception of Mexico?

Corrupt and in war with drug lords.

- If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? If not, why?

Hell no. I mean, I would love to see the country, it has a great history but it is way to unsafe and corrupt. A Dutch guy who moved to Cancún to run a hotel got attacked by a three guys, one of them the brother of a politician from the Partido Verde party. He defended himself, but guess who got locked up? Indeed, the Dutch guy. And when his mom came over to visit him in jail, she and his lawyer got kidnapped. He's been in jail for a year now while his attacker is still running loose. No way in hell that I would risk something happening to me in a country with such a corrupt justice system. More on his story: http://www.freeingfree.net/

- Would you feel safe in Mexico?

Most of the time yeah, as I feel safe easily. But feeling safe or being safe are two different things. And as stated above, you can't count on the justice system and the government for your safety if something goes wrong.

- What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

plus would be the weather and history, minus the drug war, corrupt government and other crimes.