Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Save me!

Well my girlfriend done very well with me for Christmas. She got me a Margarita Machine with a Gallon sized tank... used it on the night 25th for the Christmas Party and was a huge success.

Sort of...

The problem is that at the time, I was out of my good tequila, all I had left was 2 bottles of Jose Cuervo. I HATE Jose Cuervo. It isn't so much the taste that gets me, which is bad enough, but how I feel afterwards. Jose makes me sick to my stomach. I can drink 1800 or Don Julio all night long, but 2 shots of Jose and I am on my way to the bathroom. I must be allergic to bad tequila or something.

So, being the Margarita Machine was such a success, I want to do it again the next time the family is together. But I need suggestions.

I just want a good tequila that is cheap. Doesn't have to be sipping quality, just something decent, comparable to Jose Cuervo, that won't break the bank. After all, it is going to mixed up with all sorts of mix and stuff anyway, will probably hardly taste it anyway.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Save me!

Try Milagro silver, it's very decent and usually costs the same or a slight bit more than cuervo. I wouldn't sip it, but I would shoot it. Yes Cuervo is the worst hang over ever. I drank a bottle of it and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I did it in one night never to have to drink it again. AWFUL stuff.

Bottle looks like this
http://www.tequila.net/images/storie...1179983697.jpg
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Killian
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cassidy
Trading: (0)
Killian is on a distinguished road

For cheap margarita making tequila I prefer the Margaritaville brand. It shouldn't set you back too much.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Sauza both silver and gold good schit
Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am writing all these down so when I am at my favorite liquor store I can ask the guy that owns it what he thinks of each one that he has in stock.

The owner of my favorite store is a long time friend of my family, is a golfing buddy in the summer, and is a spirits connoisseur. I like taking his advice, he has sampled at least a bottle of every spirit he stocks and has very good knowledge. He has never let me down, but I like to get outside opinions first, extra information never hurt nobody.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
liltim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Partagas MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
liltim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
Sauza both silver and gold good schit
I have to agree Suaza is the best cheap tequilla.
liltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Having sampled many different tequilas I would reccomend anything from Cazadores.

El Jimador is a good brand for mixing or drinking straight... believe it or not it goes REALLY well with a fresh apple. It's exeptionally smooth... however if memory serves me right it's only 75 proof... or at least it was the last time I was in Mexico.

Margaritaville tastes a little watery to me but if you don't like a solid tequila twang in your margarita Margaritaville is a good bet.

Sauza is cheap... and it tastes cheap... but if you're feeding it to a lot of people at a party... cheap is always good.

My local Mexican joint that makes killer margaritas uses some tequila I've never heard of before... can't think of the name right now.

The overall question boils down to this... how much tequila taste do you want in your margaritas... that will have a lot of influence on the tequila you choose.

Some reposados are milder than some Blancos and Platas. And some Anejos are as smokey and full flavored as some Scotches and Bourbons...

When in doubt, generally always steer clear of an añejo for margarita making.

Herradura has always been my #1 choice when I don't know where to turn.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Herradura is another great less costly tequila, forgot about that one. Agreed, Anejo for one is too pricey to make margaritas with and it's the wrong taste as well. Silver or Blanco is the way to go.

Let us know what you end up going with.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Best cheap Tequila out there is Costco Kirkland. 1800 is good as is Cazadores and they don't break the bank.

Anejo is the best for Margarita, followed by Resposado, then Blanco. You want the Tequila taste to be pronounced and Silver does not cut it. Consider a Mezcal if you can find a smooth one for an affordable price.

Another drink to make in your machines are Frozen Bellini's:

Ingredients
¾ Cup chilled Prosecco or dry sparkling wine or champagne
¼ Cup peach schnapps
½ Cup peach nectar
1 Tsp fresh lemon juice
Crushed ice

Preparation
Mix together peach nectar, peach schnapps, lemon juice and ½ cup champagne in a blender. Blend it well, until smooth. Then pour it into champagne flutes. Add remaining of ½ cup champagne on the top of each glass and add crushed ice.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Hornitos Reposado is tasty.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'll second that. Hornitos is a good Margarita Tequila too.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'll second that. Hornitos is a good Margarita Tequila too.
This is what I ended up getting. Thanks guys!

I'll let you all know how it went, probably by this weekend, I don't know whats going on for new years yet, who knows, maybe margaritas lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
dwoodward

HUpmann

Well, I got bored so decided to make a small batch. I just portioned everything out to be 1/4 of a gallon to try a smaller batch. So far I am on the first glass, very good so far. After a couple more glasses i'll let you know. The Hornitos can be tasted, but its very good and fresh with the mix, not harsh like the Cuervo.

--- Later on... ---

Well, I am on my 3rd glass now, getting a little tipsy, and a little tired of margaritas. I can honestly say that I don't feel sick yet tho, so I think we have a winner with the Hornitos. Good suggestion Peter. Thanks.