Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #61
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Why cant people just say "Tebow will not make a good NFL QB" (I think the same) without bringing religion into it?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #62
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Haha, and as far as CHARACTER goes, I think that Orton could use some pointers.
WAIT, which one is in Denver NOW? ANd by that I mean, wasn't Kyle Orton the one that
used to shoot everybody the bird from the bench? Maybe not.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #63
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Why cant people just say "Tebow will not make a good NFL QB" (I think the same) without bringing religion into it?
I thought you made that point on page three? But you misunderstand me. I am saying that he COULD
be an excellent QB in the NFL and bringing religion into it. And I think it is fair to do so. FOrget what
you or anyone else thinks about my opinion of religion. TEBOW brought religion into it. I mean,
am I wrong? MANY athletes refuse to answer Tracy Wolfson's question, without first thanking God,
and then Jesus Christ, and then giving us the useless stock answer the Sports Information Director tells
them is safe to say on TV. (We had a great week of practice) I know I touched a nerve with you,
but let's be realistic, TEBOW brought religion into it. Did you catch his Superbowl commercial?
As a sports fan, I like sports during sports. Tim used his fame to make sure everybody knew who
was number one in his life. And there is nothing wrong with that. But no one at CBS Sports ever
asked him about religion.

Last edited by OLS; 04-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #64
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Great first round....a lot of interesting things happened.

1) 3 of the first 4 picks from Oklahoma...incredible. Makes you wonder what would have happened had they not had half the team injured.

2) Jimmy Clausen still on the board? That is a suprpise to me, but not a huge one.

3) Tim Tebow in the first round? I am not a Tebow basher, but I am not a fan. For the record I think he is going to be mediocre at best.

Lots of other interesting things to talk about, the rest should be fun to watch too.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #65
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

A lot will depend on his (Tebow's) receiving corps. He seems to have improved his release, but still has a ways to go. He needs guys that can help him out, get to the open spot if everyone's blanketed.
The option can be an Achilles heel for him, too. Quite often (especially inside the 10) he seemed to just take a token read, then pull it down and run. If he tries that in the NFL, he'll get killed. DCs will just throw a delayed blitz at him every time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #66
OLS
Suck It

I think you are definitely right in that maybe Urban Meyer didn't cringe everytime
he hit the line, but the Broncos are sure going to. Money, money, money.
Ouch, ouch, ouch. Then again, maybe they just use him up and let him take the hits.
But if I am not lynched in three years time, remember I said this. I hate Tim Tebow.
But he is going to be no slouch in this league. Not by a long shot.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #67
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
I'm pretty stoked about the Jets pick up of Wilson... He will make a great addition to the nickel and is a powerhouse on special teams.

I still think Cody would have made a nice pick up with Jenkins being hurt last year and all, but overall I am very impressed with the move this team has made during offseason and this draft pick is no different. On paper there isn't a team in the NFL right now with more raw talent. Hopefully that shows up on the field.
LOL i have to give you props on your relentless, unyielding homerism in the face of all FACTS to tbe contrary. A 9-7 team does NOT have the most raw talent in the league but ramble on by all means,

Bottom line, the Jets have become some wierd sort of
Hybrid of the criminal laden Bengals and the Redskins, buying up every free agent they can find we've all
Seen how its worked out for those two teams,
LoL
Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #68
OLS
Suck It

oops
Old 04-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #69
Resipsa

@ Bill Polian..... Jerry Hughes ??? Really?

Maybe u know something about Freeney and Mathis that i dont, but only TWO DE's can be on the field at any one time,
Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #70
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Hybrid of the criminal laden Bengals and the Redskins, buying up every free agent they can find,
LoL
And we'll add JUST A DASH of the Yankees for flavor.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #71
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Because some people are trolls. If u ignore the trolls eventually they go away. LOL
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #72
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Because some people are trolls. If u ignore the trolls eventually they go away. LOL
Quote:
LOL i have to give you props on your relentless, unyielding homerism in the face of all FACTS to tbe contrary. A 9-7 team does NOT have the most raw talent in the league but ramble on by all means,
So it's cool to be a prick if you don't mention religion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #73
Resipsa

Absolutely corrrct. Any other questions?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #74
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Keep it civil, keep religion out of it, or this thread goes bye-bye...which doesn't seem fair to the OP, so please keep it to football peeps.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #75
OLS
Suck It

Hehe, I reported MYSELF.

Saints seemed to do alright. They got their secondary help, I guess as a result of watching
everyone else take the linebackers they really wanted.
Personally, I like the Jets. Thir uniforms are pretty. And I like their history, too. I think they'll do fine.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #76
coastietech

Quote:

Hybrid of the criminal laden Bengals and the Redskins, buying up every free agent they can find we've all
Seen how its worked out for those two teams,
LoL
HAHA... your lack of football knowledge astonishes me everytime you post on the subject...

Yes the Jets were 9-7 but we also made it to the AFC championship guess that doesn't count for anything. And in case you haven't seen our recent pick ups let me list them for you. Cromartie (considered one of the best CB's in football), Poole, Tomlison (will be much better behind the Jets o-line than the Chargers o-line), Jason Taylor (still considered the best pass rusher in football), Holmes (Super Bowl MVP who caught for over 1,000 yards last season)...

Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards will be on best behavior this year because they are up for new contracts in '11.

There is a reason why most sports writers in the country are calling the Jets the team to beat next season.

Your blind hatred for the Jets makes you look ignorant when it comes to pointing out the facts.

Fact-the Jets now have the best CB tandem in football.
Fact-the Jets had the best pass defense in football last year and with the addition of Cromartie, Wilson, and Poole will only be better this year.
Fact-Sanchez now has targets in Tomilson, Washington, Edwards, Holmes, and Cotchery. Don't think you won't see a 5 wide set more often this year.
Fact-the Jets still have one of the best o-lines in football.
Fact-despite having a 9-7 record the Jets still made it all the way to the AFC championship and if it wasn't for a lack of corners and injured players could have won that game.

So say what you want, but to deny the fact that right now there isn't another team in the NFL with as good a roster lineup as the Jets is ignorant at best.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #77
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Absolutely corrrct. Any other questions?
Great answer Vic.

Jeff, from the "Rules of Cigar Asylum" Sticky:

Quote:
No threads that are political or religious in nature will be allowed.
Doesn't say "posts" but, two topics generally preferred to stay away from.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #78
OLS
Suck It

Great answer Vic.

Actually, I would prefer that answer with a smiley. One way to avoid getting shot in the old westerns was not to "smile when you say that."
Otherwise, it's just provacative, IMO.

Hey, but that's just me. A troll apparently. And CERTAINLY provacative.

I don't think respisa has a blind hatred for the Jets. Blind hatred is what I have for Florida.

Last edited by OLS; 04-23-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #79
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
HAHA... your lack of football knowledge astonishes me everytime you post on the subject...

Yes the Jets were 9-7 but we also made it to the AFC championship guess that doesn't count for anything. And in case you haven't seen our recent pick ups let me list them for you. Cromartie (considered one of the best CB's in football), Poole, Tomlison (will be much better behind the Jets o-line than the Chargers o-line), Jason Taylor (still considered the best pass rusher in football), Holmes (Super Bowl MVP who caught for over 1,000 yards last season)...

Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards will be on best behavior this year because they are up for new contracts in '11.

There is a reason why most sports writers in the country are calling the Jets the team to beat next season.

Your blind hatred for the Jets makes you look ignorant when it comes to pointing out the facts.

Fact-the Jets now have the best CB tandem in football.
Fact-the Jets had the best pass defense in football last year and with the addition of Cromartie, Wilson, and Poole will only be better this year.
Fact-Sanchez now has targets in Tomilson, Washington, Edwards, Holmes, and Cotchery. Don't think you won't see a 5 wide set more often this year.
Fact-the Jets still have one of the best o-lines in football.
Fact-despite having a 9-7 record the Jets still made it all the way to the AFC championship and if it wasn't for a lack of corners and injured players could have won that game.

So say what you want, but to deny the fact that right now there isn't another team in the NFL with as good a roster lineup as the Jets is ignorant at best.

I don't hate the Jets, hell I liked them for a season until Favre left, and you can ask around (ask icehog in particular) about my history with bets. Giving my history, I will still make a friendly wager with you of a 5er that the Jets don't win the super bowl. I may even be tempted to bet they won't make it back to the conference championship this year
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #80
OLS
Suck It

OH, the Super Bowl, haha, no way. Sorry.
But of course, the SAINTS DID go and win, so pigs HAVE flown.

God I love brisk debate.