Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Where should i transfer to?
Stay at WMU 5 27.78%
transfer to Michigan State University 2 11.11%
transfer to University of Michigan 1 5.56%
transfer to Ohio State University 2 11.11%
transfer to University of Alabama 5 27.78%
Other(please post) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: College: transfer or stay?

I Vote UA, Of Course! Good Business School & Warmer!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

A big plus to larger, highly ranked Universities is alumni connections. If you do well, alumni will look to help their own before they take others. The key is networking, keep a good gpa and get involved. I would go to University of Michigan. Although if you want to go to their grad school you should go somewhere else. They don't take as many of their own into their graduate programs.

As far as wanting to work in the south, doing good at U of M will give you a good chance of getting a job anywhere
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
A big plus to larger, highly ranked Universities is alumni connections. If you do well, alumni will look to help their own before they take others. The key is networking, keep a good gpa and get involved. I would go to University of Michigan. Although if you want to go to their grad school you should go somewhere else. They don't take as many of their own into their graduate programs.

As far as wanting to work in the south, doing good at U of M will give you a good chance of getting a job anywhere
no masters yet for me. just want my 2 BA degree's and go back to what is called the real world
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

If I were you, I'd stay put. Especially at the Undergrad level, schools out of the top 20 or so won't give you any real advantage job wise. Unless you are just dead set on moving, I'd say you are thinking too much into the ranking, which in reality, doesn't matter very much.

Good luck either way, and I'm sure you will make the right decision.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

DISCLAIMER: I've always tended towards entrepreneurial business and bucking the establishment in the name of a chance and a good idea. My advice as you will see is liberally flavored with these ideals. If you're looking for advice on how to become a corporate cube drone, take anything i say with a heaping tablespoon of sea salt. These are the "other" things i would consider when choosing where I went to school and what I was doing at that school, where I in that position again. I have ignored some of the skills that school's already pound into your head in favor of some of the less talked about ones that I've observed to be important from my own experience and relating to my own goals in life. As always, it's solely my

I majored in Intl. Business and went to a very expensive school. For a variety of personal reasons, it was the "right" place for me to be at the time and I don't regret it, I would do it again... BUT I sure as hell wouldn't recommend someone else do the same thing.... ESPECIALLY with the crippling debt that it brings. (what a scam that is on our nation's youth, but that's a rant for another day).

IMO Devan, what it comes down to is this. Alumni connections and top rankings do count for something, as does the boost it gives you for getting into some grad schools. BUT in real world business, IMO, if you already are staying focused and getting good grades, the actions and networking you make outside of the classroom and the impression you give in an interview count for much much more than where you went to school.

* Networking. Make connections NOW. Develop those connections. Rinse and repeat. This cannot be emphasized enough.
Burn no brides behind you, and build new bridges, even if it doesn't seem like they're going anywhere... you never know what bridge you're going to find yourself unexpectedly taking in the future. Your ability to connect with people on many different levels will be crucial to success in any field, and is rarely learned in a classroom.

* GOLF: Do you know how to golf? LEARN. I'm not kidding! Doesn't mean you have to be any good, and you don't have to like it, but you should learn the rules and good manners associated with the course while hitting the ball semi-straight for a few feet. It's amazing the informal networking that can happen effortlessly over golf and cigars. (and no, it won't ALWAYS happen that way, but it's a damned useful arrow to have in your quiver).

* POLITICS & EMPATHY: office or otherwise. If you're managing a team, running a company, working under a manager, or trying to go into politics, one skill set always is needed - the ability to manage people individually. Humility and empathy are the words of the day here. Being able to successfully empathize with and find ways to get results from other people under your command who may not think or act even a little bit like you. This is the meat and potatoes of the ART of business management. They can tell you this exists in a classroom, but you'll learn most of it outside of the classroom. This is also the foundation of any manager. If you can't positively "connect" with your team (ALL of your team) and get them to get the job done, then your days will be numbered.

* Achievements (and I don't mean president of the yearbook type stuff, although it can't hurt). Are you a one trick pony?
I grew up in a small family business, learning it from the inside out BEFORE I went to college. One thing I learned quickly - although plenty of my classmates got excellent grades, I wouldn't dream of hiring 2/3 of them to work for me. Why? The age old difference between classroom work and REAL WORLD work. You've got the grades to prove you know the classroom material, so now your focus should be on finding ways to prove you ALSO got it in the real world of business /or/ management. Find something(s) to organize, lead, and manage. Finding ways to demonstrate your people skills is CRITICAL, AS IS continuing to hone and refine those skills.

* CULTURE & VARIETY: Identify the parts of your life that you have little knowledge or experience in and make the conscious effort to learn a little more about them. Never listened to 60's music and don't like it? take one night, 4 hours, read a little about the major players and listen a little to the music. Don't know what order to use the forks and glasses in at a table set for a 5 course meal? Take 15 minutes to look it up on youtube and practice. Born in the city? Make friends with a hillbilly and learn how to muck a stall. Born in the country? Make friends with a city slicker and learn how to navigate a downtown dinner club. Pick a "womanly" skill you don't know and spend an hour learning the basics. In a nutshell, eliminate areas of ignorance.

The list could go on and on and on, but I'll stop here. Generally speaking, The four skill sets I would look for in hiring someone would be a proven track record of reliability & "getting the job done", ability to empathize and gain people's trust, Innovation and flexibility to quickly learn new things, and being able to easily transition between between different people, cultures, environments and situations.

Although you will never find yourself in a job that requires you to use ALL of your skills at the same time, having a wide variety of skills available to you will allow you to effortlessly ride the changing economic tides in life, deftly moving from around within a company or on to other employment when the geography or economics demand it. If you are a one trick or one specialty pony, then you'd damned well better hope your pony stays reallllllllly healthy

(damn that was a long ramble... hopefully you find something useful in there... thanks for giving me an excuse to procrastinate a few minutes on finishing up tonight's work! )
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #26
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Devan, something I have not seen yet mentioned is transferring of classes. Based on what your major is you already know what classes you have to take. When transferring schools that are regionally accredited many of them do NOT transfer over the same classes needed for your major. This to me would play a factor because it can mean anywhere from a semester to an extra year's worth of classes to have to take over.

Everyone here has given you good advice. IMO I would suggest you stay where you're at presently and do a move afterward if your heart still so desires. Just focus on this one task, finishing school, and then move on to the next big hurdle. Not saying you can't multitask but focus on the present or else there will be no future.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Michigan, without question!

Your first job out of school will most likely give you an idea of what you probably don't want to do for the rest of your life. If that is not the case for you, fantastic! But for many it means back to Grad School, with an eye on more of what you might want to do. If that happens you want the strongest academic record from the most powerful institution on your resume - and that means Michigan (Plus a strong work resume post undergrad). Oh, BTW, Michigan is perennially top 10-20 in a whole host of grad programs. Most notably their Law school. Poli Sci and business are pretty good lead in Undergrad programs for Law.

It sounds like you separated completely from military service. If not you might consider banking that GI bill for Grad School. If you are still in the Guard (or want to get back into the Guard) most states will pay undergrad tuition at any state school for any guardsman in good standing. Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Texas come to my. I would bet Michigan does the same.

You'll be done before you know it. Good luck. When you turn around I think you will be pleased at being a Michigan grad and the opportunities you will be presented with.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
YankeeMan
Just moved South

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
Partagas
YankeeMan will become famous soon enough

I'm a Department Chair at a community college and a student advisor. What you have to look at is the time you have invested, the number of credit hours that will transfer and the strength of your major at WMU. If it is a strong major and you are bringing up your GPA, I would stay there, maximize my time and look to earn an MBA when you are finished.

Good luck and thank you for serving!