Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Question Global Entry

Global Entry

Anyone sign up for it?

At airports, program participants proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable U.S. passport or permanent resident card, place their fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and make a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry’s goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may be selected for further examination when entering the United States. Any violation of the program’s terms and conditions will result in appropriate enforcement action and revocation of the traveler’s membership privileges.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Global Entry

This sounds like it would make getting a fake passport more easy.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
This sounds like it would make getting a fake passport more easy.
Really?

You have to get a background check and an interview which you bring your passport with you.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Really?

You have to get a background check and an interview which you bring your passport with you.
Global Entry has a database of all users right? If so, then I assume people who have gone through the process of Global Entry and are legit, could have there ID's taken and edited by other people.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Global Entry has a database of all users right? If so, then I assume people who have gone through the process of Global Entry and are legit, could have there ID's taken and edited by other people.
Yeah. What's more, you can have all the physical security you want (biometrics, encryption, armed guards at the check points, background checks, urine samples, etc) but all that data is just sitting on a server somewhere guarded by a couple of admin passwords.

Oh, and did I mention
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Yeah. What's more, you can have all the physical security you want (biometrics, encryption, armed guards at the check points, background checks, urine samples, etc) but all that data is just sitting on a server somewhere guarded by a couple of admin passwords.

Oh, and did I mention

You never know, it could happen.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
And faking out the biometric scan too? Good luck. They watch you the whole trip from buying the ticket, plane both ways, and everything.

The government already has the information, this system just makes it easier if you travel through Customs.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

It's a solution looking for a problem.
MkI Mod. I eyeballs and brains (debatable) are better IMO. too much connectivity and connectedness already for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I hate traveling, even under the best of circumstances, so with the new procedures in place, I'll probably never travel again.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

It was a detailed interview with Homeland Security that they said many would not be qualified to participate in this program.

The pass is good for 5 years and if I'm required to have a manual examination, I'll be moved to the front of the line. Global Entry saves from having to fill out the "blue form" if entering the US with less than $800 in gifts or 10K in US currency.

I don't find Customs to take very long, but at the end of long travel even 10 minutes saved seems worth it.