Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Caldwell - The King is Dead

Caldwell - The King Is Dead
5X50? The Robusto?

Aesthetics: This stick is enveloped by slightly oily EMS colored wrapper EMS with some veins, the seam showing, and a strange discoloration following one of the veins (never saw this before). It is sealed with a pigtail cap. I like the band depicting a chair split in half - the colors of the band blend nicely with the hues of the wrapper.

Pre-light Construction: A very firm cigar from foot to head, with nice heft to it. There's a pretty light nose of hay, sweetgrass, a light spice and something else. (it is the next morning, I figured out the smell I could not identify when I put a spoonful of raw honey in my morning tea)

Flavor & Strength: This is not a powerful cigar by any means with subdued flavors that I was having difficulty identifying - but I really liked it. Seemed to have slight hints of pepper, an ephemeral sweetness, it appears to taste like the whole wheat bread I make with honey and Guiness beer. It was a nice smoke to exhale through the nose (I call it snorking), sometimes non-Cubans tend to really be hard on the nose, this was pleasant, where I really got the bread notes.

Post-light Construction: It burned well, not 100% straight, but no touch-ups were needed despite the very breezy conditions. It’s grey and white mottled ash clung tenaciously until I bumped it.

Finish: I was drinking a double IPA, so that might have something to do with it, but the finish was light and very fleeting what seemed to be white chocolate with a bit of pepper.

Aroma: Again, I had the wheat bread smell.

General Comments: Another Caldwell where I picked up flavors I could not readily identify, but found thoroughly enjoyable. A great smoke! As you can see, I smoked it to the nub and it was wonderful right to the end!