Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Caldwell Midnight Express Robusto

Caldwell Midnight Express Robusto
50x5

1) Aesthetics: Chocolatey brown, veiny, semi-dry wrapper, finished off with a pigtail cap. The gold/black band is tastefully done, it attenuates the chocolate wrapper nicely.

2) Pre-light Construction: It appears to be evenly filled, and is solid, no sponginess. The wrapper smells of sweet and cocoa, while the foot is a bit on the musty side.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: I won’t say it draws effortlessly, but it is an easy draw producing a good volume of thick, blue-grey smoke. It stays firm throughout the smoke, keeping a nice even burn line, a dabbled grey/white, firm, ash.

4) Flavor and strength: This takes off like an SR-71 with full afterburners – almost overwhelming black pepper and not much else. It did get better, but not much. I was pretty much just the pepper, and very full-bodied. There was not a whole lot of complexity to this smoke, and I am not a big fan of strong, full-bodied cigars that are such, just for that reason.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Considering how strong this was, I expected a strong, lingering finish. Well, that did not materialize. In fact, that might have been the most enjoyable part of the cigar – the finish. Here the pepper faded quickly and left a piquant sweetness.

6) Aroma: When sniffing sideslip smoke, it came near to burning the nose, as pepper again was the dominant note.

7) General Comments: I only had one of these, so do not judge this cigar by my review alone. It is a very good-looking cigar, it virtually screams, “Smoke me!” Don’t trust it! Of course, if you like a peppery power bomb, go for it! This was not in my wheelhouse at all.

8) Recommendation: Not my cup of tea, but for those who like pepper and strength in their cigars…this might be your nirvana!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Caldwell Midnight Express Robusto

Thanks for the review, Todd! Hope you are doing well!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Caldwell Midnight Express Robusto

Yeah...I am a caldwell fanboy and agree these are a HUGE pepper bomb. They do settle a bit.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote