Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #341
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Thank u
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #342
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
Obviously safe in the garden?
I'm sorry, I never saw your reply question. I dont really know if it is safe for the garden or not. I kinda doubt it is organic but also, the tiny piece of bait in the trap is probably smaller that a 1/4 of a grain of rice. I have never had ants actually in my garden. Just in and around the house.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #343
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Here is a garden video I did on Memorial Day. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPkQ7fSB5Yk
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #344
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

A lot of work you put in there Mr.B, well done.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #345
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

First veggies from the garden tonight. Had some steamed cabbage, broccoli, squash and zucchini. Plus some fresh cornbread. Some pics of how the garden is coming:

Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #346
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Weeding sucks, don't it, Cliff??

Looks good!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #347
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Lookin real good Cliff.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #348
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

New garden video, raised beds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3joEyUOPGVs
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #349
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Weeding sucks, don't it, Cliff??

Looks good!
Yep, sure does!!! Partially completed. Lots more to go.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #350
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, what a difference location makes. My corn is maybe 1/3 the height of yours. I'll be out putting up fencing later this week. Damn rabbits keep eating my plants. Had some lettuce starting to come in. Not so much anymore.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #351
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

My garden is the worst it's been in as long as I can remember. A cool spring and one heck of a rainy late spring-early summer has taken it's toll. It's still been raining here about every day and has been for weeks now. My squash and zucs have rotted and are gone. My cukes are mis-shapen and are suffering from under pollination. Probably because they're continually spray for mosquitoes and they're killing every other insect in the process. Tomatoes have fruited a little, but the wet ground nearly drowned two of them a couple of weeks ago. Just sad. No one else's garden around here is doing much better. On the upside, my grass is growing like I've never seen it. Problem is, I don't eat it and I'm not starting now.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #352
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Our garden is in almost as "ugh" stage as Jamie's.
It just sat through all of June, never moving an inch. Too much cold and rain. The last week it bolted pretty nice with all the heat and then it got beat to death with hail yesterday. That'll set it back while it heals.
Plants aren't dying, but with our short season we'll be lucky to see much of anything if the weather isn't optimal for the next 8 weeks.
Good thing we're not relying on the garden to stave off starvation or I'd be a nervous wreck.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #353
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Mine's flourished as of late. My corn shot up quite a bit and I'm noticing the ears are starting to grow. I've got tomatoes on all my plants (4), eggplant and squash (already ate a couple small ones, plus some blossoms). I noticed cuc's yesterday too on my couple of plants and my broccoli is getting gigantic, but no crowns yet. Now if my garlic can be saved, i'll be really happy.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #354
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Wow, so sorry to hear that guys. I can feel ya, because I would be mortified if my garden took a dump.
We had been suffering from lack of rain around here and was watering almost every day. I took the family to the lake for 5 days and came back to everything exploding! Most things had doubled in size. We also got 1.5 inches of rain while I was gone which really helped. Not to mention that I sprayed everything down with Compost Tea before leaving on my trip.
We have been harvesting Cuc's, Zuk's & Broccoli and all of our Greens (chard, collard etc.) tomotoes and peppers are starting to set pretty well. The watermelon and cantaloupes are going crazy.
I will try to record another garden video this weekend and post it here. Good luck guys.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #355
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Here's my porch garden. I hurt my back in January and couldn't build the raised garden I wanted this year but I'll probably get to build it this summer.
Right now I have basil, rosemary, cilantro, tomatoes, an avocado, and an easter lily that I thought was dead but has made a come back.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #356
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Hope your back gets better soon. I am in the same boat with a back injury and 2 herniated discs in my neck. It sucks!
Good job making due with what you can.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #357
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Shame y'all are having a tough year. Mine's been going great so far (SE PA). The first tomatoes should be ready in the next few days, with plenty more nice looking fruit not far behind. Picked my first pole beans yesterday despite the best efforts of a swarm of hungry japanese beetles, and my early garlic is drying in the basement. Peppers seems a little slow, just starting to flower now, but they fought off an early insect problem too and seem happy at the moment. Zucchini is growing well, though I've lost a few to what looks like blossom end rot? Does zucchini need calcium like tomatoes or is this something else? They grow about 6" long, and then turn yellow and go soft from the blossom end.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #358
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I"m having the same issue with my yellow squash. Had a few that started to rot on the blossom end. Not sure what it might be, my first time growing yellow squash.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #359
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Shame y'all are having a tough year. Mine's been going great so far (SE PA). The first tomatoes should be ready in the next few days, with plenty more nice looking fruit not far behind. Picked my first pole beans yesterday despite the best efforts of a swarm of hungry japanese beetles, and my early garlic is drying in the basement. Peppers seems a little slow, just starting to flower now, but they fought off an early insect problem too and seem happy at the moment. Zucchini is growing well, though I've lost a few to what looks like blossom end rot? Does zucchini need calcium like tomatoes or is this something else? They grow about 6" long, and then turn yellow and go soft from the blossom end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I"m having the same issue with my yellow squash. Had a few that started to rot on the blossom end. Not sure what it might be, my first time growing yellow squash.
Here ya go, Green Thumbers:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...-treatment.htm
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #360
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Still raining here on the East Coast. Been raining for nearly 3 weeks. Like pouring piss out of a boot most days. The only things that remain are peppers and tomatoes. Getting a few of each. Like Scott said, I'm glad my garden doesn't sustain us throughout the year. At my production rate, I would've had to plant 50 acres and I'm pretty sure I'd be sick of tomatoes at about the 10th month.