Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough
Default Lost

Okay, I throw this out to y'all. What did you think about the Lost season premiere last night (1/21/09)?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lost

Kept me screaming out:

"WTF!"

"Aww shiet!"
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Crazy! But I'm hooked again...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

so does your mailman Bao
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

I enjoyed it, I just hope it doesn't take them all season to get back to the island and we have to watch "jumps" all season.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

The series is about to lose its credibility if Faraday is correct about the "rules" of time travel. By saying that Sawyer can't get Desmond's attention at the hatch because it never happened in the past, he's saying that the world can't be interacted with in ways that didn't originally happen.

So in other words, Sawyer wouldn't be able to walk because he wouldn't be able to create friction between his foot and the grains of sand beneath them. he wouldn't be able to breathe because he wouldn't be able to use molecules in the air. He wouldn't be able to start a fire or eat food.

Either Faraday is wrong, or the show jumped the shark (cliche phrase, but, yknow.)
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
mrreindeer

Damn it, I hope the DVR recorded it....I totally forgot it started up.

That, and I thought this was the new season: http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/en

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...dream-job.html
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Thank goodness for the DVR cuz I would have missed it. I guess I'll have to catch it tonight or over the weekend.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Really like the season premiere. I was starting to lose interest in the show last season, but I'm liking the direction they are taking now.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
The series is about to lose its credibility if Faraday is correct about the "rules" of time travel. By saying that Sawyer can't get Desmond's attention at the hatch because it never happened in the past, he's saying that the world can't be interacted with in ways that didn't originally happen.

So in other words, Sawyer wouldn't be able to walk because he wouldn't be able to create friction between his foot and the grains of sand beneath them. he wouldn't be able to breathe because he wouldn't be able to use molecules in the air. He wouldn't be able to start a fire or eat food.

Either Faraday is wrong, or the show jumped the shark (cliche phrase, but, yknow.)
Wow!!! You put a lot of thought into this!

I thought that it answered a few questions but then created more questions... just like every other episode!!!

BTW - Can anyone imagine Dr. Samuel Beckett (Scott Bakula) showing up in some episode saying, "WTF!!!"

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Wow!!! You put a lot of thought into this!

I thought that it answered a few questions but then created more questions... just like every other episode!!!

BTW - Can anyone imagine Dr. Samuel Beckett (Scott Bakula) showing up in some episode saying, "WTF!!!"
Ziggy would tell him to get Juliette's t-shirt all wet. Is she the finest thing walking or what? I'm not even into blondes but the broad is a stone cold fox.

Regarding time travel rules, if Faraday was saying "you can't do that" as hyperbole based on ethics, it's fine. So if he was saying You have the DUTY not to do that, that's fine. But the way he worded it, to me anyway, sounded like he was saying it literally would not be a possibility for Sawyer to get Desmond to answer the door. Which sets the show up to shoot itself in the foot.

Btw I'm not trying to downplay how rad the show is. I started watching Lost cuz this girl I was into was all about it. The girl is long gone but I'm still hooked on Lost.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Daniel was lying to Sawyer. He went and knocked on the door and Desmond answered it. So you can interact with the past.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigargal View Post
Daniel was lying to Sawyer. He went and knocked on the door and Desmond answered it. So you can interact with the past.
Right. I wasn't clear on whether or not he could interact with him because they were "constants" or because it had been a lie.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigargal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Right. I wasn't clear on whether or not he could interact with him because they were "constants" or because it had been a lie.
Or because he's "Special."
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Daniel seems to be all over the place. Last season he refered to his notebook to sort of keep himself focused on on place or time? Remember when Desmond was flipping back and forth in time? He ran into Daniel's mother(who seems to be connected to Ben) It's a mess, that's for sure-fun to untangle.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Cyanide

I couldn't remember...but I thought I had seen that lady before; the one at the end of this episode....was that Faraday's mother?

Overall I enjoyed the episode. Though I think they had too many side stories to try and incorporate....but that is a function of the last season ending. I would have liked the main directions to have gotten more attention...but then the thing would have been 3 hours long. Like I said, overall I enjoyed it!

Cheers

Cyanide
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Cyanide

But, its hard to tell whether Faraday was:

1) intently lying about altering the past
2) incorrect about his assumption regarding altering the past
3) broke the actually physical laws of that universe by the nature of Desmond being "special"

2+3 seem more likely based on the fact that Dan doesn't seem to think about the opportunity to talk to Desmond until he notices that the anthropologist lady has a bleeding nose...similar to Desmond when he was warping back and forth in time. This "reminded" him how Desmond was "special"...in the sense that Desmond has warped back and forth in time and has been able to alter the past. If that were the case then maybe Desmond's split existence allows him to be altered in any timeframe we consider. But, that doesn't alter the point about altering the sand beneath everyones' feet.

In fact, they should all be considered "special" now as they have all moved back and forth through time. And, they brought some things with them (clothes, the boat etc..). Mind you, Desmond's time-travelling was of a different sort; he didn't "appear" ("Pop") in new timeframes in new locations, he more "invaded" his own body with a "present-derived consciousness" which proceeded to take over all cognitive function for that temporary period of time while it was invading.

The only plot-saving plausible option involves Faraday either lying or being incorrect in his assumptions.

Cheers

Cyanide
Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
I couldn't remember...but I thought I had seen that lady before; the one at the end of this episode....was that Faraday's mother?
I don't know if we can say it was Farraday's mom but we do know that she was in another episode. IIRC she was in the flashback with Desmond..I believe she was the lady at the jewelry shop wearing the red dress and giving me the creeps.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I don't know if we can say it was Farraday's mom but we do know that she was in another episode. IIRC she was in the flashback with Desmond..I believe she was the lady at the jewelry shop wearing the red dress and giving me the creeps.
I think that's who it was, too, but I have to watch again tonight to make sure.

Overall I enjoyed the opener, and even liked the 1 hour "catch-up" show and I usually avoid those.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I initially thought it was the lady at the jewlery shop (and at the catholic convent), but she looked alot different in this episode.

BTW, this episode was EPIC.

**Edit**
Lostpedia says it was that lady.