Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Cain F Lancero

Personal History: One of my local B&M’s carries Cain, but insisted the line was a punishment for all the sins of the world. I paid it little mind (their opinion and the Cain line) because they kept me well fed on Tatuaje Reservas.
Meanwhile, I have grown to realize I like a longer smoke, but not a giant smoke, so lanceros became a natural fit. When I started poking around the lancero world…Cain F lancero…well I couldn’t get away from them. Then, I read the fine print…Oliva makes Cain. I love Oliva! A nic puro…I love Nic puros! Perhaps I should give the F lancero some face time. Naturally, I am a day late to this party, and as soon as I realized what I have been ignoring all these years, the announcement came that they were out of production as of April.

The dog is Satchmo, my English Bulldog. He's usually more animated but he was made at my wife because she skipped the Saturday morning adventure walk because of a photo shoot.

Pre-light—I also love tubos, convenience in a tube form. I am a practical guy, and the tubos protection and a band at the foot (I hate it when a cigar start to crack and fray at the foot) makes a lot of sense. A double bonus here because I don’t really care for the branding, the blood red, gold and black doesn’t work for me so removing the band left me with face to face with a well-made stick. Aromas of high end coffee, leather, and an earthy jungle scent that makes me want to crack open Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” again.

Light/first third—Muscles, meat, this is the stick I’d want after months of trekking through the jungles of Africa. It raw and potent. I wished it was hotter outside. This will be a great stick to sweat out an august afternoon in the Nutmeg State. Espresso, steak straight from the grill with a side of grilled peppers. A slight undercurrent of nutmeg, and or cinnamon—this would work very well with Bacardi 8 rum. A bright white ash formed along a nice straight burn line and held together even in the brisk wind.

2nd third—the nutmeg and cinnamon became a little more pronounced, but the charred meat (a good thing) and espresso ruled the battlefield. This is definitely a hot weather stick (it was low 60ish, sunny, with some gusty breezes). The construction was Oliva perfect. The potency has not let up at all. I half wonder if I rose to meet the stick, or the stick rose to meet me. Usually beyond the first third I get acclimated to it, but this one kept delivering, but only delivering more of how it started.

3rd 3rd—Still an impressive smoke, but it lacks the complexity of a truly great smoke. I’ve been smoking a lot of My Fathers and the like, cigars that wander all over the spectrum like good jazz, they improve on the original theme, fold it, morph it, and transmute it into something original and unique. Cigars that make me tell my wife to be quiet. The Cain has all the right pieces, but the alchemy isn’t there yet. I think some age would make a big difference on these.

Conclusion--This cigar was like a muscle car. Turn the key, the engine explodes with ferocity, thunder, and potential. Mash the accelerator and a torrent of power pours forth, but once you’re at 60-70-80-90+ mph, it settles into an impressive, sensation of power and wind, but you can only accelerate so much. I bought a box of these, and I might buy another to lay down for a little while. I think they will join become legion in a few years when they are no longer on the market, but more importantly with some time to meld they'll become more than their original parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140419_120330.jpg (105.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419_121841.jpg (90.3 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419_124836.jpg (86.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419_131537.jpg (91.2 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419_134917.jpg (92.9 KB, 260 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cain F Lancero

Buy them now. They will be gone soon.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Now this is a great review
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
CigarBandits
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
CigarBandits is on a distinguished road

Great review! I have one from one of the release parties ( bought the wooden box of the robustos and one came with it ) but never smoked it. After this review I might have to give it a shot!
CigarBandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
Now this is a great review
Ha! Thanks Biggee. I was a published poet "back in the day when fish could walk," and I have been trying to get my "chops" back. I am unemployed after 10 years of doing battle on the corporate front and frankly, all I want to do is lift weights and smoke cigars.

I'll be reviewing everything I can so my brain doesn't turn to mush.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I love this cigar. I picked up a box last week.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I am not a big lancero fan, but these I really like as well. Great review.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Wow this is a great review I can't wait for you to do some more. I have one of these from a trade that I haven't smoked yet. I am scared that when I smoke it I will like it and won't be able to get any more. I may have to smoke it quick to see if I like it while I still have a chance at getting some. In the event that I do like them any advice as to where I might find some?
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I was much like you Joe, just had my first one a couple of months ago and quickly found 2 boxes for and snatched them up. I'm going to keep my eyes out for anymore that pop up, for me, they are just too good to pass on. Great review
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Just found them on the devil site right now on the price drop thing
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

LOVE these cigars. They are like dynamite in your mouth with a side of beef jerky!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Just found them on the devil site right now on the price drop thing
Atlantic has them for $42 and change a box (10ct). Just for comparison purposes.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Atlantic has them for $42 and change a box (10ct). Just for comparison purposes.
Good call! I got mine from the devil's free fall a week ago. I was watching the same auction today and it resets at just below 50.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Nice they were out of stock I thought last time I looked
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #15
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Nice they were out of stock I thought last time I looked
Michael they usually go quick. However this time they are still in stock and I think it's been a couple of weeks now that they've been 'in stock'. Jump on them if you can
Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I am a little late to this party, but I had one of these today. Reminds me of the first release of the Oliva V Lancero. Spicy but it appears to have legs to age very well. I know my Oliva V Lanceros that are well over 5 years old are sublime these days. Picked up a box tonight and have high hopes for this cigar.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
I am a little late to this party, but I had one of these today. Reminds me of the first release of the Oliva V Lancero. Spicy but it appears to have legs to age very well. I know my Oliva V Lanceros that are well over 5 years old are sublime these days. Picked up a box tonight and have high hopes for this cigar.
You aren't the first to have that opinion, Jason. I, too, will probably be looking for some of these in the future.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
You aren't the first to have that opinion, Jason. I, too, will probably be looking for some of these in the future.
I wouldn't wait. I've heard they are no longer being made and that the last of the production were all bought out. Couple places have them listed as backorder already.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
I wouldn't wait. I've heard they are no longer being made and that the last of the production were all bought out. Couple places have them listed as backorder already.
+1, they seem to be going quickly. There still around sporadically, but the prices are going up on the devil site and some others. Its a same because I think they are really going to benefit from some age, so the better they get, the less I'll have.