Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Bdeuce22
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Bdeuce22 is on a distinguished road
Default Johnny-O Corona Gorda

Johnny-O Corona Gorda

These have quite the story. There is minimal info on these but from what I can gather and what I have been told, there is a guy in Florida (probably goes by Johnny) that farms his own tobacco, rolls the cigars, and sells them locally. No bands, no boxes, just bundles of 25 and comes in various vitolas. Some call them Cubans made in America. Sort of an ugly wrapper. Had some spots on it, some veins, but looked OK overall.

I need to sample more (I have 11-12 left so no issue there) because I think these were slightly over-humidified. I felt it when I was cutting it and the draw was slightly tight. I thought about dry boxing it for a few hours outside, but i'm far too impatient.

The flavors remind me of an opus. These pack a punch. I can taste a deep earthy flavor with a bit of clove mixed in. There are some spices in here that i can't identify yet. Something that sweetens it up, but I can't put my finger on it. The flavors really don't change too much. I'm not sure how old they are or what, but I'm sure they will age very nicely over time. I think with time, the flavors will mellow out and not be as in your face strong.

The burn was great all the way through, no issues there. The ask is white and thick as can be and each puff provided a ton of smoke.

I will sit on them to rest in my humidor for a couple months before I sample again, but these are definitely worth trying to find.
Bdeuce22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
vinnyvega
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joe
vinnyvega is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Johnny-O Corona Gorda

Cubans made in America. I have never heard of that term. What makes them Cuban? Is John Cuban? Does he get the tobacco in Cuba and roll them here? I love hearing stories about J-O!
vinnyvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I have smoked a handful of Johnny-Os now and I have to say, these might be the most inconsistent "cc" if you wanna call it that, I have ever had. They are not terrible, but not good either. Would I buy more? No, I rather buy JLPs.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
vinnyvega
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joe
vinnyvega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I have smoked a handful of Johnny-Os now and I have to say, these might be the most inconsistent "cc" if you wanna call it that, I have ever had. They are not terrible, but not good either. Would I buy more? No, I rather buy JLPs.
In my experience, J-O!s smoke the best when they are fresh. After 6 months, put them away from a year or so. I just did an experiment and I have found these to be out of this world with 2+ years on them. Not so good with a little less than a year or a little more than that.

Smoke these fresh!!!!
vinnyvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Been reading a lot about these...all with mixed reviews.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Custom rolls are from what I hear very hit or miss. I've enjoyed the ones I had in my possession.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Custom rolls are from what I hear very hit or miss. I've enjoyed the ones I had in my possession.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

The custom rolled I have and have smoked have always been better when the were on the moist side of things. I keep mine wrapped while in storage and they seem to smoke great. Perhaps these are in the same category
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Not a big fan.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Johnny O's are at the low end of the spectrum of "custom rolls" As with any of the customs out there the key is the tobacco available to the roller. These cannot be compared with premium custom rolls like La China's, Taboada's, Cueto's or any of the LCDH rollers. But I think they compare with many of the customs you see rolled for other shops outside Cuba.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Darrell

Johnny O's are just okay IMO, nothing spectacular.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Had my first, a MAG47, and thought it was a tasty treat. I am not great at pulling out flavors, but it was spicy and sweet, great draw and burn. If I had space and the same sticks were available, I'd buy a bundle in a heartbeat.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Would love to know how these are Cubans.
I understand they are rolled in Miami, the capital of purported Cuban cigars found on many corners, brought by a friend of a friend screwing a friend of the manager of the factory.
Home of the $150 box of supposed Cohibas.
That said, if rolled in Miami, how many believe bundles of Cuban tobacco are just conveniently being dropped on Collins Ave., along with the Cuban exiles?
How does one suppose that prized tobacco gets here?
I think they are about as Cuban as Al Pacino playing Tony Montana.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The smokers from Cuba have a strong preference for fresh cigars, so I can understand how a Cuban cigar roller/producer in Miami would make cigars to be smoked immediately.

I love them fresh and bitey, but when smoking them, they are more casual smoke. A fresh cigar is not the event, but rather a compliment to it.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Would love to know how these are Cubans.
I understand they are rolled in Miami, the capital of purported Cuban cigars found on many corners, brought by a friend of a friend screwing a friend of the manager of the factory.
Home of the $150 box of supposed Cohibas.
That said, if rolled in Miami, how many believe bundles of Cuban tobacco are just conveniently being dropped on Collins Ave., along with the Cuban exiles?
How does one suppose that prized tobacco gets here?
Could not care less if they are Cuban..... I don't enjoy a smoke more or less related to where someone said it came from....

That said, as far as how bundles of Cuban tobacco gets to Collins Ave, I would guess the same way cigars get into BOTL's mailboxes.... If there is a will, chances are that the way is not that hard....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Could not care less if they are Cuban..... I don't enjoy a smoke more or less related to where someone said it came from....

That said, as far as how bundles of Cuban tobacco gets to Collins Ave, I would guess the same way cigars get into BOTL's mailboxes.... If there is a will, chances are that the way is not that hard....
Well, I would personally care to know if Cuban or not as that is what they are purported to be and that is the product I am expecting. Would you buy boxes of Cubans, risk shipment to your home, and not care what was in it? If they were supposed to be "who cares", that would be different.

As it relates to how they get to Collins v. cigars in your mailbox, two vastly different concepts here that can't be related.
One involves a box or two of cigars in a discrete package.
Have you ever seen a bundle of tobacco? Like to see how that will fit in a mailbox and just how dumb one expects our Homeland department to be.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Carlos, I have had a number of JO's and none of them made me think Cuban. Frankly, I don't think they are and can't be convinced unless I travel with the baccy from Cuba to the states to the roller to my hand. And that won't happen so JO's are off my radar entirely as I think they are total waste of money. It seems they are shrouded in mystery as nobody seems to know the real story on these and that bothers me. I have heard more than a couple of stories. Too many red flags.

They make me think Dominican. And not a good Dominican.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Chu want to go to war, Mang? Chu better watch it, cockaroach.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Well, I would personally care to know if Cuban or not as that is what they are purported to be and that is the product I am expecting. Would you buy boxes of Cubans, risk shipment to your home, and not care what was in it? If they were supposed to be "who cares", that would be different.

As it relates to how they get to Collins v. cigars in your mailbox, two vastly different concepts here that can't be related.
One involves a box or two of cigars in a discrete package.
Have you ever seen a bundle of tobacco? Like to see how that will fit in a mailbox and just how dumb one expects our Homeland department to be.
Not to hijack....but

Point #1-
There is no risk in shipment, so you are really just talking taste....correct? As far as I know, these are legal cigars rolled in the United States with tobacco leafs from who knows where. I had a tasty cigar....if it is actually Cuban tobacco, great....if not, great.... Again, could not care less....as I am very satisfied with the product and would buy again. I honestly didn't come in with the thought that I need to be buying Cuban tobacco or I am going to be fired up. I did not expect them to arrive with a Habanos stamp or whatever.

I had the opportunity to pick up some US rolled cigars that could be tasty, at a nice price and I pulled the trigger. In the end, I don't have some hang up that if I am smoking anything other than Cuban tobacco, I am smoking inferior product. I buy cigars to try and if I like them, I try to buy more... I don't care where the leaf was grown.

I guess, in conclusion on this point... Someone could tell me that they were going to give me an unlimited amount of unbanded Cuban leaf cigars that were 100% authentic, but rolled in the United States. When I smoked said cigars, I thought they were great and was pleased. I don't want testing on the leaf to confirm the soil it came from...I smoke it for what it is....rolled up leafs that we call a cigar. People can call it whatever the Hell they want....I'll call it a nice cigar.

If someone likes a cigar, but changes their mind after finding out where it was grown, or they think a cigar is average and the it becomes better, after finding out where it was grown.....well....

Point #2 -
Bundles of tobacco leave Cuba correct? Bundles of tobacco come into the USA correct? So making those bundles appear to be something other than a bundle from Cuba seem almost easy to me... I assume the leaf doesn't have small pics of Fidel that show up under black light or something....

I don't know....I don't deal in trade of tobacco leaf or know anything about the business. But it seems that if other shops outside of Cuba are getting leaf to do custom rolls, it would not be hard to forward that to the US for a price and do them here....as we are talking about limited numbers.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Point #2 -