Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #2441
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

finished product of the pork butt from yesterday

here's what i'm smoking today, an 8lb brisket

Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #2442
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Today's Dinner.
A 5 lb. Beef Tenderloin.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #2443
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Getting these beauties ready for tomorrow, about to season them up. A 3.75lb pork shouler roast and a half a slabe of spare ribs. All Berkshire pork. Can't wait to try it.

Since the fat cap on the roast is on the side, I'm thinking I"ll drape some cheapo bacon I have in the freezer (thawed of course) over it to help baste it during the cooking. I only run about 2.5hours of smoke on my meats, so I'll throw the bacon on after that. There looks to be some good marbling, but I"m worried there's not enough and it'll dry out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0515.jpg (54.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0514.jpg (44.8 KB, 394 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #2444
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Bob, consider shooting for a slightly lower "done" temp. I often cook small cuts like that since I'm only feeding myself so something like the bacon or an oil marinade will help, but when I cooked the meat from Bledsoe, which had a similar appearance, cut, bloodline and raising, a few weeks ago, in retrospect, I think I should have pulled it off about 5-10 degrees sooner than I would take the supermarket stuff.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #2445
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Adam, I"ll definitely take that into account.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #2446
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Nothing fancy... but did two spatchcocked chickens on the Big Green Egg yesterday. They were devoured!!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #2447
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Brent's not DEAD....Everybody thought he was dead....he just stopped cooking cause of the heat.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #2448
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

The ribs and pork shoulder turned out great. Took the shoulder off at 170F, so it's thinly sliced bbq pork and not pulled pork, but glad I did (thanks Adam). Because of the lack of fatcap, it didn't self baste. It's still got a bit of moisture left but would've dried up had I gone to 190-195F. Tastes awesome. I'll have to talk to the farmer next time and get a full butt with the fatcap for next time.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #2449
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Guys where is the link to the worlds greatest ribs or it had some name like that. Wife wantes some ribs.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #2450
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Guys where is the link to the worlds greatest ribs or it had some name like that. Wife wantes some ribs.
I think this is the link: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

However, the ribs I made this weekend are the best I have done yet and I did the HnF and got done in 4 hours. Probably could have even got by with 3.5 hours.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #2451
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think that Berkshire pork was not so much a matter of fat on the outside as marbling on the inside.
It really seemed that it was not industrial ranched pork but some kind of good local farm pork, without
all the growth hormone. There was not much fat in that cut from what I could see. Might have made
a better ham. It had good marbling for beef, though. I am never sure how much there is in the junk
you get at the store, cause it's all the same basic color, lol. That was some bright purple pork you had there.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #2452
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think that Berkshire pork was not so much a matter of fat on the outside as marbling on the inside.
It really seemed that it was not industrial ranched pork but some kind of good local farm pork, without
all the growth hormone. There was not much fat in that cut from what I could see. Might have made
a better ham.
Yep, I was thinking that same thing myself. I didn't end up layering bacon on it as it became my lunch. Oops.

I'm thinking a brine is in order the next time if I use Berkshire again.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #2453
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Yep, I was thinking that same thing myself. I didn't end up layering bacon on it as it became my lunch. Oops.

I'm thinking a brine is in order the next time if I use Berkshire again.
What particular cut of meat was it? It doesn't look to be a shoulder. If it was in fact NOT a shoulder, it might be more like smoking pork chops, which IMO is not a good thing for long cooks, but better grilled.

edit: going over the picture more and more, it looks like you got what is called a center cut ham steak, or ham shank steak.

Last edited by wayner123; 07-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #2454
OLS
Suck It

I think you saved yourself some bacon anyway. I can't imagine it having an effect at all, other than on the bottom
of your smoker, lol. I bet it made a good sammich anyway.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #2455
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I think this is the link: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

However, the ribs I made this weekend are the best I have done yet and I did the HnF and got done in 4 hours. Probably could have even got by with 3.5 hours.
Bumped thanks.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #2456
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Brent's not DEAD....Everybody thought he was dead....he just stopped cooking cause of the heat.
Watcha talkin' 'bout Willis??? I cook... I just suck at taking pictures so I don't always post when I cook
Old 07-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #2457
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
What particular cut of meat was it? It doesn't look to be a shoulder. If it was in fact NOT a shoulder, it might be more like smoking pork chops, which IMO is not a good thing for long cooks, but better grilled.

edit: going over the picture more and more, it looks like you got what is called a center cut ham steak, or ham shank steak.
I was just labeled as a shoulder roast. I think you're right though about it being more of a ham cut as the bone looks nothing like what you find in a butt (there's a joke in there somewhere ). Either way, it turned out very good, especially sliced really thin and dressed with a touch of NC style BBQ sauce.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #2458
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I was just labeled as a shoulder roast. I think you're right though about it being more of a ham cut as the bone looks nothing like what you find in a butt (there's a joke in there somewhere ). Either way, it turned out very good, especially sliced really thin and dressed with a touch of NC style BBQ sauce.
Possibly a cut off the top of the picnic shoulder, which is the forward shoulder/leg, just below the butt.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkPicnic.html
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #2459
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

It was chicken Thursday....
My oldest daughter and boyfriend are in from out of town, so...
I made a bunch of these, one survived...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #2460
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Love this thread did some ribs for the 4th and only got this pic, used pecan wood man what a great flavor...

nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote