Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough
Default Electrician question?

My wife and I are looking to buy our first home. The house we're looking at was built in 1954. According to the inspection report the house does not have a grounding electrode, which I guess is common for this period of construction. What are my options for grounding the two pronged electrical outlets and replacing with three pronged outlets? I have read that the code allows the ungrounded two pronged electrical outlets to be replaced with GFCI outlets but this just doesn't seem safe to me since the outlet is still ungrounded. If we decide to buy the house we are already planning to upgrade the 100 amp panel box and relocate from the coat closet. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Electrician question?

I am no electrician, but I've done some in my older homes.

You can replace the 2 prong plugs with 3 prong plugs, but if only 2 strand wire was used originally, the only advantage would be you could plug in the newer grounded plugs. The outlet itself would not be grounded unless 3 wire cable was used and would still be unprotected.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Im an electrician. The way to protect the outlets is to replace the first outlet in the circuit with the GFCI. The way it works is there is a sensor that monitors the amperage goin back on the neutral so it is protecting you, they trip at 4 to 6 milliamps. If your planning on replace the panel, it is more expensive but you can throw in the GFCI breakers. They are more expensive but it saves on time and labor.

http://www.electricalmarketplace.com...on-W1C124.aspx
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Pm sent.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Well the reason why code makes you change to a GFCI is because the GFCI detects current leaking and shuts the power down in a split second. That is quick enough to prevent anyone from getting shocked. Thats what they are pretty much worried about when they use GFCI's.

I would probably look into GFCI breakers instead of changing all the outlets, but you might have issues with your fridge.

A ground directs the power away from the situation and is supposed to trip the breaker.. In some cases having a ground is good because if you have a electronic device that has a power wire come loose and touch the casing it would trip the breaker. This would keep you from being shocked. On the other hand a lot of stuff now a days is double insulated and that would never happen.

To be honest with you not having grounded plugs isn't really that big of a deal. I have been living in homes without grounded plugs forever. I would say change the plugs in the kitchen and bathrooms to GFCI's for sure because you will be near water.

I would make sure that my main panel where ever it may be had a ground rod connected to it for sure.

Your electronic devices aren't going to blow up because they aren't grounded.

Nobody can guarantee that having a grounded plug will keep a surge from ruining anything either.

If you were interested in grounding plugs That could be a pretty big project. I'm not certain for sure, but I recall them changing the code to where you can't run a separate ground anymore. If thats the case its going to be an expensive job now.

To top it off in different areas they could add to the code because remember the code is "the bare minimum required" So I'm not sure what exactly the code is in your area.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Smokey and Boris are correct. Although GFCI breakers can get expensive though, depending on what panel you have. With a GFCI, you can replace the first device with the GFCI, and feed all downstream devices with it, meaning you may only need a few.

I disagree with Boris about his stance on the ground though. It's not to prevent surges or protecting equipment, it's about protecting people.

I'm a member of Local 98, Philadelphia. I wonder how many other I.B.E.W. brothers are here.

I'm going to look up that running a separate wire thing Boris. I'm procrastinating about doing housework, so this is just the thing I need.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post
Smokey and Boris are correct. Although GFCI breakers can get expensive though, depending on what panel you have. With a GFCI, you can replace the first device with the GFCI, and feed all downstream devices with it, meaning you may only need a few.

I disagree with Boris about his stance on the ground though. It's not to prevent surges or protecting equipment, it's about protecting people.

I'm a member of Local 98, Philadelphia. I wonder how many other I.B.E.W. brothers are here.

I'm going to look up that running a separate wire thing Boris. I'm procrastinating about doing housework, so this is just the thing I need.
I didnt say it helps with surges. I said you can't guarantee having a ground will help with surges. I agree with the safety for people. People think its mostly for electronics safety.

Ya let me know about the separate ground code. I usually work in commercial and industrial so I forget about some of the house stuff.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

406.3(D)(3)(a)/(b)/(c) deals with replacement of a non grounded receptacle. I didn't really see anything about not running a separate ground wire, but I'll keep checking.

Another reason I'm for changing over receptacles:

New TVs, computers, electronic equipment all have a three prong plug.

I don't know why I forgot about that since I just had to deal with it. This is a relatively new house, but they cut the grounds back on the romex, twisted them together, and put in ungrounded receptacles. Luckily they didn't cut them back far enough that I couldn't throw a tail on there. They also removed the ground screws from the switches.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post
406.3(D)(3)(a)/(b)/(c) deals with replacement of a non grounded receptacle. I didn't really see anything about not running a separate ground wire, but I'll keep checking.

Another reason I'm for changing over receptacles:

New TVs, computers, electronic equipment all have a three prong plug.

I don't know why I forgot about that since I just had to deal with it. This is a relatively new house, but they cut the grounds back on the romex, twisted them together, and put in ungrounded receptacles. Luckily they didn't cut them back far enough that I couldn't throw a tail on there. They also removed the ground screws from the switches.

The company wiring the homes probably wanted to get out of there. Or the guy wiring that place sucked!

OOO.. I was just thinking about that code. Maybe they added it to the codes in the county by me. That would be an addendum right?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

I believe so. Addendum by the AHJ sounds official enough for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

So the best way to check for a ground is to crack open the receptacle and see if there is a bare ground? Will the ground usually be connected to the receptacle?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
So the best way to check for a ground is to crack open the receptacle and see if there is a bare ground? Will the ground usually be connected to the receptacle?
Well if you have a tester you can see without pulling out the plug. I think testing with a tester would be the 100% answer.

Sometimes what you see might not be right.... That sounds like something from the Matrix but I'm serious.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
Well if you have a tester you can see without pulling out the plug. I think testing with a tester would be the 100% answer.

Sometimes what you see might not be right.... That sounds like something from the Matrix but I'm serious.
How do I test for ground on a two pronged outlet?

Like this?

Last edited by rack04; 08-31-2009 at 12:25 PM.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

Your right.. I was thinking about the three prong plug. So ya you can pull it off the wall and see if a ground wire is in the box.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

What's the cost different between GFCI breakers and receptacles? Do they get more expensive if you need a 2 pole? Have yet to run into an instance where I need to use GFCI breakers for residential. But then again, Im in the same boat as Boris almost all commercial and industrial work for me., unless its side work.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
fpkjr
In from the cold

Trading: (1)
VR
fpkjr is on a distinguished road

I'm from 488
Not only will the contractor doing the service have to fix all the problems IE. ungrounded plugs, if I'm not mistaken he also has to put arc protection on your upstairs circuits. Perhaps the guys who work on houses could chime in!
I do know with older Metal caze wiring you probally lost your bond to the panel. That being said, GFCI only works as well as the cable/ wire pulled.
You might want to save a major headache and find out what your local Instector wants because the national code is bare minimum.
I'd bite the bullet and rewire the entire home, before you move in!
This cost will more then likely be deducted when closing.
Good luck
F
fpkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

I'm on the Commercial/Industrial side, but I think I can answer a few questions. From what I've seen, AFCI/GFCI breaks are about $30 plus, while a GFCI receptacle is around $10.

Depending on the AHJ and if the house is being sold FHA, he may or may not have to replace any of the receptacles. You may be able to get that written into your agreement that the owner has to either fix it himself or give you money to do it.

2008 code requires {210.12 (B)} in Dwelling Units that :

All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit

Underlining indicates a change in the code. Now, this only applies to new construction, and only if your area has adopted the code yet. I know Philly is still going off the 2005 code. There are various exceptions, but I doubt anyone is interested in them.

nth edit: I doubt the face plate will be grounded, as per one of the posts about. With the age of the house I'm guessing cloth romex was used, and no pipe or BX.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
BORIStheBLADE
_

Bolivar

The new use of the arc faults is a good thing for new homes.It will help with fires and stuff. I got a chance to play with them in some high end homes.

I wouldn't dare try to put them in a house wired already.

To the OP. If you are worried about this electrical work you might want to think about looking at other homes. I don't know if you have a pending offer on this place , but its a thought. You can tell your realtor to see if he or she can find places with an better electrical system.

I don't know how much money or if any the owner will take off the house price. Its still worth a shot to see if they will take less.

If your going to spend money on having an electrician come by and upgrade your service to 100 amp and ground all or some plugs its going to add some more money to the mix.

Where I live service changes go for about $2,000.00 just alone.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
Where I live service changes go for about $2,000.00 just alone.
Close to that here. 1500-1750 for a 100amp upgrade in server. But then again most houses around here are very old and usually require a little extra work.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #20
cf2112

I do this everyday and I WOULD NOT replace the 2 wire receptacles with 3 wire receptacles, it is a code violation. We have replaced 2 wire with GFCI receptacles and run a grounded circuit(s) for the things that need them most (i.e. fridge, washer, computors, tv's ect.) For the $$ upgrade to 200 amps and rewire the house to current code. We are working the 2008 NEC which includes Tamper proof receptacles (both GFCI and regular) and Arc fault breakers. We just finished a duplex (1100 sq ft/unit) with 125 amp panels, GFCI's in kitchens, baths, unfinished spaces and garages all tamper proof recpts and arc fault breakers the cost was well north of 10k. I have not done a single residence remodel yet but have bid a few most are running about 2k for the service and 5-10k for the rewiring.

The 2008 Code has added about $2-3/sq ft to remodeling cost and about $1/sq ft to new constuction costs. What a great time to adopt the code but safety should always be the #1 concern and these change do make a home safer. We do/bid a lot of work in surrounding counties with no code enforcement and our bid-win ratio is now terrible with most contractors hard up for work and not following the most recent Code changes, we try to promote our bids a safer and Code compliant but $$ is the bottom line.

As always hire a Certified/licensed contractor, some will give free estimates. My two cents, Find one who does and see if it is feesible to rewire.