Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #21
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brake pads for my Envoy, I need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That'd drive me out of my mind.

They squeal when they glaze...take the unused pad and rough it up on the concrete before you put them on...just make a few circles...U can also use anti-squeal.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #22
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Welp I was a GM tech for 9 years and couldn't stand any of the OE pads that they used.
Ceramic are decent, not too overpriced, but will shorten the life of the rotors (hardly noticable though).

I would go with a ceramic personally.

Buy here... http://www.rockauto.com/
Even with shipping they are still usually cheaper and have GREAT customer service.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Welp I was a GM tech for 9 years and couldn't stand any of the OE pads that they used.
Ceramic are decent, not too overpriced, but will shorten the life of the rotors (hardly noticable though).

I would go with a ceramic personally.

Buy here... http://www.rockauto.com/
Even with shipping they are still usually cheaper and have GREAT customer service.
I got Raybestos Professional Grade Plus Ceramic. Same kind that was on it. Only cost me 60 bucks out the door for the front axle.
Now if it wasn't thunderstorming, I'd roll around and put them on.
I think I'll call my little brother and get him to do it for me.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

That's what little brothers are for, eh?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's what little brothers are for, eh?
You betcha.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Hitagain
Bomb'n relocation program

First Name: Allen
Trading: (7)
SCdlH
Hitagain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
Use a few gurkhas...
They wear too quickly and make your car smell funny.......
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #27
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I put Akebono's on my Jag and they are quiet and very low dusting. They are not the ultimate gripping power, but no complaints.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #28
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I am now going to attempt to put the pads on the Envoy.
I'm going to try to keep count of how many times I curse. I need a ruling on this, though. Do the curse words I don't say out loud count?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #29
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I am now going to attempt to put the pads on the Envoy.
I'm going to try to keep count of how many times I curse. I need a ruling on this, though. Do the curse words I don't say out loud count?

You won't have a problem...just 2 bolts for the brake caliper, remove caliper from atop rotor, remove old pads, compress piston on caliper with c-clamp, slide or clip pads in, slide caliper back over rotor, insert caliper bolts again,Done! repeat other side!

Last edited by e-man67; 08-12-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: add
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #30
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

I put a set of ceramics on my truck for the first time a couple of months ago and I have been very happy with them. Around here most of the part stores offer a lifetime warranty on their parts. I'm the type to keep a vehicle for years and years so I don't mind paying a little more for the pads one time. If I wear them out I'll get a second set at no charge.

Using a C-clamp - why didn't I think of that? I used a huge pair of channel lock pliers to apply slow and steady pressure until veins were popping out of my forehead.

- Rob
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

FWIW a couple point.... on my old Nissan Rear Disc Brakes you have to TURN the Piston on the caliper in not just push it so watch out for that AND garages mark up the price of parts also to pad the bottom line it pretty common place though.`
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

That took a whole hour and ten minutes.
Zero curses, lost no brake fluid at all, took it for a ride, and stopped at the audio store down the street to look for an all-in-one nav unit/dvd/stereo.
You guys saved me 250 bucks.
Thank You!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

My calipers had two pistons. I used my wood clamps. I drew one down, pulled that clamp off, used a smaller slamp to hold it, and then used the larger clamp to draw down the other.
Popped them both off and threw them aside. Took ten seconds or so.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #34
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
My calipers had two pistons. I used my wood clamps. I drew one down, pulled that clamp off, used a smaller slamp to hold it, and then used the larger clamp to draw down the other.
Popped them both off and threw them aside. Took ten seconds or so.
Nice!
sounds like your ready to start a side bidness

For future reference, don't take the inner (piston side) pad off. Use it to clamp on and apply pressure to both pistons at once compressing them both back home all at once.

Don't ya love time saving tips after the fact?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Nice!
sounds like your ready to start a side bidness

For future reference, don't take the inner (piston side) pad off. Use it to clamp on and apply pressure to both pistons at once compressing them both back home all at once.

Don't ya love time saving tips after the fact?
All I did is used my big wood clamps to draw back the caliper enough to pull it off the pad assembly. The padd assmbly stayed laying on the rotor. That took three seconds.
The caliper compression deal only took ten seconds.
The big slow down in the whole deal was that both my 3/8 and 1/2 Craftsman wratchets are shot. I fought with them the whole way.
I will be going to Sears to have them replaced today.
Maybe right now, as a matter of fact.
I have to get some ice on, eat some more pills, apply my tens unit, and do some praying first cause my back is trying to kill me and if they give me any sh!t at Sears I'm likely to have some sort of philosophical disagreement that ends up with bloodshed and jail time.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
... and if they give me any sh!t at Sears I'm likely to have some sort of philosophical disagreement that ends up with bloodshed and jail time.
I've offered my steel toe boots (with me in them) up for service to Al if any butt or nad kicking is needed with the insurance company. Give me a holler if the guy at Sears gives you any lip!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #37
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like it went okay. Great to hear.

Last time I replaced a few ratchets at Sears, they were very nice. They gave me refurbished ones, but that was okay with me.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I got my wratchets, no problem whatsoever.
Didn't need to sign a paper, get a receipt, and the kid never got off the phone till we were almost done.
Then he saw my ipod touch and we talked about that. He has the same one.
He hates Verizon Wireless and is switching to AT&T so he can get an iPhone, too.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #39
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I got my wratchets, no problem whatsoever.
Didn't need to sign a paper, get a receipt, and the kid never got off the phone till we were almost done.
Then he saw my ipod touch and we talked about that. He has the same one.
He hates Verizon Wireless and is switching to AT&T so he can get an iPhone, too.
You gonna adopt him?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

One last observation and I'll shut up about my brakes (maybe)...
The old pads were only about half gone. They'd have easily got another 20 or 30k on them.
The difference in stopping power is HUGE with the new pads on.
I just put new tires on it about a month ago, now the new brakes up front, plus the rotors turned Monday, and man, does it stop way better. Takes a lot less effort on the brake pedal, too.
Plus it doesn't shimmy anymore when I stop and I bought the expensive tires so they oughta last a long time, plus they're silent.
I couldn't be more pleased with the whole experience.