Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #121
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Finishing off a bottle of Bulliet that I had. I missed this stuff...

Back to the bourbon world for the next two weeks as I'm home for exodus...then back to drinking shitty beer on base...
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #122
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Finishing off a bottle of Bulliet that I had. I missed this stuff...
I just found one I had forgotten about!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #123
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Eagle Rare 17 Fall 2008 edition

newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #124
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post

Well..... are you going to just leave us hanging here???

How is it? I haven't cracked any of my '08s yet. I have to finish off some stock first before cycling (sneaking) new bottles home!

I get a ton of bottles every year for the holidays, but its usually stuff I don't drink much of (like Vodka or wine) and I can't even exchange them because of some State law forbidding returns of alcohol products...

Too bad because I would trade them in for nothin' but bourbon!
Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #125
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

Picked up a bottle of Four Roses the other day...thanks a lot thread contributors.

I have that and my bottle of Buffalo Trace to get through now over the holidays. Looking like its going to shape up to be a good one
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #126
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
Well..... are you going to just leave us hanging here???
I just got it today Patrick, but I think I will open these other bottles that I also got today first.
If you have not picked this up yet I highly recommend you do. It is IMHO the best value on the market today. At @ $14.99/bottle it tastes better than a lot of more expensive products.

Rittenhouse Rye - Bottled in Bond

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/prod....asp?pID=32192

A little info about Bottled in Bond:

To be labeled as "Bottled-in-Bond" or "Bonded," the whiskey must be straight whiskey that is the product of one distillation season and one distiller at one distillery. It must have been stored (i.e., aged) in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume). The bottled product's label must identify the distillery (by DSP number) where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled.

Last edited by newcigarz; 12-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #127
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Rittenhouse Rye is some very good stuff, and like you said, for the price, is VERY HARD to beat.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #128
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

HUpmann

At a friend's yesterday, I tried Four Roses Single Barrell as well as Old Forester's Birthday Batch 2007. The Four Roses was ok, but I'll be searching out a bottle of Old Foresters!!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #129
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post

Had some last night over ice.

Yummy.
I really HATE that you live so far away...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #130
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

HUpmann

I thought other bourbon lovers would enjoy this as much as I did....

Bourbon's Beauty: An ode to a distinctly American drink
(Newsweek)--In light of the recent 75th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition, it seems appropriate-and not just a little necessary, since we are also in the midst of an especially fraught holiday season-to meditate on America's great contribution to the world of spirits, bourbon whiskey. First produced in the late 18th century in the "Old Bourbon" region of Kentucky, bourbon was recognized in 1964 as "a distinct product of America" by Congress, which also laid out the "Federal Standards of Identity." It must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51 percent corn, distilled in America at less than 160 proof with nothing added but water, and aged for a minimum of two years in new, charred-oak barrels.
George Washington distilled bourbon at Mount Vernon, Abraham Lincoln's father was a seasonal distillery hand, and Lincoln's General-in-Chief, Ulysses S. Grant, was a dedicated consumer of bourbon.
The novelist Walker Percy wrote an oft-reprinted essay in praise of the stuff, but he was no connoisseur, since, like me, he spent the bulk of his early life in Mississippi, which remained dry until 1966.
Consequently, we were able to avail ourselves only of the brands the local bootlegger had on offer, which, in the case of bourbon, was generally Old Crow- a favorite of Grant, Mark Twain, and our postman, for whom my mother left a bottle in the mailbox every Christmas.
Percy preferred Early Times-in his "Love in the Ruins," the protagonist holes up in an abandoned Howard Johnson's with 15 cases of it, along with three good-looking women and the world's great books-mainly, he said, because at 80 proof he could drink more of it. Percy would likely be amused at today's profusion of artisanal-style "small batch" bourbons, brands like Blanton's Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, and Eagle Rare. Crafted by "master distillers," they recall bourbon's heyday at the opening of the 20th century, when almost 200 hundred brands of straight bourbon, each with very distinct characteristics, vied for drinkers' approval.
Bourbon's individuality comes from the quality of the oak barrels in which it is aged and the environment in which they are stored, as well as the length of aging and final strength. The resulting range of nuances can be so varied that a tasting vocabulary not unlike that which is ordinarily reserved for fine wine is often used to describe them. Percy happily settled for "the little explosion of Kentucky U.S.A. sunshine in the cavity of the nasophayrnx," but were he alive to drink, say, a 16-year-old A.H.
Hirsh Reserve, he might have also detected, as one critic did, "smoky, floral aromas" and flavors of "fruit and chocolate." Likewise, Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1998 is said to boast aromas of "brown banana, cloves, and glove leather," while 12-year-old W.L. Weller has a "complex and toasty palate" and a "sweet and okay" finish.
A life-long Scotch drinker, I have never shared the tendency of my fellow Southerners toward American whiskey (Percy said drinking Scotch was like looking at a picture of Noel Coward; Faulkner said if forced to choose between Scotch and nothing, he'd take Scotch). But some of the small batch brands have finally made me a believer, and I'm not alone: since 2002, sales of super-premium bourbons (those costing more than $30) have risen by more than 60 percent. My favorite, 20-year-old Pappy van Winkle's Family Reserve, is as suave and rich as a fine brandy-and, at about $100, as expensive. But for less than half the money, I am also happy to sip, neat or on the rocks, Knob Creek or Basil Hayden's-both Jim Beam brands. (I think the real reason I abjured bourbon for so long was that so many drinkers of my generation inevitably mixed it with Coke.)
Though I have come late to drinking bourbon, I have long understood the benefits of cooking with it. Bourbon balls (a mixture of crushed vanilla wafers, chopped pecans, corn syrup, bourbon, powdered sugar, and sometimes cocoa) are a traditional Christmas treat, and my mother always puts a healthy dose of bourbon in her holiday charlotte russe. My friend Robert Carter at Charleston's Peninsula Grill features bourbon-grilled shrimp with creamed-corn sauce, Hoppin John and green-onion hushpuppies on his menu, and at Birmingham's excellent Hot and Hot Fish Club, Chris and Idie Hastings offer up a sublime toddy made with fig-infused bourbon over ice and garnished with a bourbon-soaked fig.
In these trying times, bourbon, with or without the fig, is a wholly American and appropriate indulgence. Percy would approve. Dr. Tom More, his character who took refuge with the Early Times, was doing so because in the "dread latter days of the old violent beloved U.S.A.", pure "wickedness" abounded in "high places" and all hell had broken loose; he was anticipating nothing less than the end of the world. If that scenario sounds scarily familiar, take heart. At the novel's end, not only is the world still in tact, but More has married the best of the three women and is outside on his patio, merrily barbecuing a turkey on Christmas Eve. His accompaniments are the songs of Sinatra and several restorative shots of bourbon. There are worse remedies.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #131
tech-ninja

Trading: (18)
Partagas
tech-ninja has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
At a friend's yesterday, I tried Four Roses Single Barrell as well as Old Forester's Birthday Batch 2007. The Four Roses was ok, but I'll be searching out a bottle of Old Foresters!!
I got some Four Roses Small Batch for Christmas. Good stuff. Paired very nicely with an 80's ERDM Lonsdale.

I will have to try out the Foresters.

2008 - 2009 Shack Herf Cornhole Champion
"Am I #2????"
tech-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #132
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

HUpmann

Picked up 2 new ones....

and

I'm having the Old Weller Antique Original 107 Brand and I got to say its the best $22. bourbon I've ever had! What a bargain! The Van Winkle 12 year is actually harder to find that the 20 or 23 year, because its like 1/2 the price of the 20.

BTW... my local shop still has 2 - 2008 George T. Staggs and 1 - 2008 Eagle Rare. They're going for around $75 each +tax.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #133
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I thought I'd post a picture of the bottles of Bourbon/Whiskey that I have on hand for sipping when I enjoy my cigars and pipes! May be a few others will do the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-011S.JPG (31.8 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-012S.JPG (34.1 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-013S.JPG (41.9 KB, 610 views)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #134
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post

YUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! How is it?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #135
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I thought I'd post a picture of the bottles of Bourbon/Whiskey that I have on hand for sipping when I enjoy my cigars and pipes! May be a few others will do the same.
I found 1 bottle of that Old Fitz at some hole in the wall last winter. When I finished it, i went back for more and they were out. Ihave not seen it since. Are they still producing this?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #136
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Old Fitzgerald is still produced unless something recently changed. I couldn't image that brand being discontinued.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #137
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I found 1 bottle of that Old Fitz at some hole in the wall last winter. When I finished it, i went back for more and they were out. Ihave not seen it since. Are they still producing this?
That old Fitz 12yo is some very good stuff. I reach for it often!
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #138
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
YUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! How is it?
Sorry 17 is below the legal age of consent. I'm waiting until this bottle is 18
Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #139
CoroHo

I'm not much of a bourbon guy but I really like George Dickel Barrel Select. Wow.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #140
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I think I'm going to go with some Sazerac Rye tonight. The Party Source has a special barrel select version of it that is very good.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote