Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Apple iMac

So I need a new computer for this house. My daughter is starting to get homework when she needs a word processer and printer, we don't have either. Thinking about getting an iMac.

Does an iMac come preloaded with a Word type program or do I need to purchase office?

Is it worth the $200 to go from the 1.6GHz to the 2.8GHz processer? I have ZERO knowledge of computers.....ZERO. In fact, other than thinking that means "faster"....don't even know what that means.

This will be something to do homework on, surf the net, process photos, listen to Pandora. We do not game.

Only reason I'm thinking Mac, which appears to be significantly more, is that we have obviously gravitated to Apple products. All of us have iPhones, have 2 iPads ect.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Apple iMac

Reading over this http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=iMac but it's 5 years old.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

This will be something to do homework on, surf the net, process photos, listen to Pandora.
One of these things is not like the others.

I no NOTHING about Apple products. But I do know that 'process photos' can be a whole other ballgame when it comes to the demands it can place on your computer. A little more detail about your intended photo processing might help the Apple dudes direct you better.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Take a bunch of photos, look over them, process the ones I consider keepers.

Hobby, not professional.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I own an iMac.
I would definitely get the 2.8GHz processor.
MS Office for Mac does not come with the computer. However, Apple does have equivalent products. Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), & Keynote (PowerPoint). I don't know much about the Apple versions of the products. I bought MS Office for Mac long before these were available. This link may help - http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/compatibility/
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I own an iMac.
I would definitely get the 2.8GHz processor.
MS Office for Mac does not come with the computer. However, Apple does have equivalent products. Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), & Keynote (PowerPoint). I don't know much about the Apple versions of the products. I bought MS Office for Mac long before these were available. This link may help - http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/compatibility/
So it appears that now, iMacs do come preloaded with Apples version of Word, Excel ect....so unless I wanted, I would not need to purchase MS Office.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Yes and you can import and export back and forth from the Microsoft product, so Keynote to and from Powerpoint, etc., Sometimes they take a little tweaking and alignment after you export them but nothing major.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Outside of Google Docs etc for word alternatives, Libre Office also has a mac version that can open/edit/save word/excel and power point.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
badbriar

Quote:
So I need a new computer for this house. My daughter is starting to get homework when she needs a word processer and printer, we don't have either. Thinking about getting an iMac.

Does an iMac come preloaded with a Word type program or do I need to purchase office?

Is it worth the $200 to go from the 1.6GHz to the 2.8GHz processer? I have ZERO knowledge of computers.....ZERO. In fact, other than thinking that means "faster"....don't even know what that means.

This will be something to do homework on, surf the net, process photos, listen to Pandora. We do not game.

Only reason I'm thinking Mac, which appears to be significantly more, is that we have obviously gravitated to Apple products. All of us have iPhones, have 2 iPads ect.
Good machines and wickedly fast. Look at the memory as well. That will have a great bearing on speed, ability to work large files and multitask. I work on a windows machine at work with windows7 - horrible pc. Go home to a mac mini, which is a Ferrari in comparison.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

It was a done deal(kinda thinking the entry 27" is the best bang for buck, right?) then got the BOOM. My son, who is a monster student and a gamer, ask me why would I do it. Said he hates his MacBook Pro and would give that to me, if I'd buy him a PC laptop. Said he's gone his life working on PC and now learning a new way is meh. Still runs a gaming PC. Not terrible, but like an itch. Said, "Why make her learn everything twice, at the same time."
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

For sorting photos, this app is included:
http://www.apple.com/osx/photos/
and it also makes it REALLY easy to edit pictures and make them look better, without being an expert.

I would dig into how much of your son's objection is about gaming. Macs don't have as many games, no question. But they should be easy to learn.

If you haven't yet, go look at the retina display on the iMac, which is stunning- and consider whether you're going to get that on a PC.

One last thought, if you end up getting a "stock" model (not customizing RAM for example) - check at your USPS to see if they have change of address packets. These used to have a best buy 10% off one item coupon which could be applied to macs. I used one maybe 8 months ago - but last time I went to my post office they had no more packets, just a sign saying to do it online.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
Trading: (0)
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Libre office is great office clone on PC, so i'd go with that as well
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Best Buy Black Friday

$150 off the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
It was a done deal(kinda thinking the entry 27" is the best bang for buck, right?) then got the BOOM. My son, who is a monster student and a gamer, ask me why would I do it. Said he hates his MacBook Pro and would give that to me, if I'd buy him a PC laptop. Said he's gone his life working on PC and now learning a new way is meh. Still runs a gaming PC. Not terrible, but like an itch. Said, "Why make her learn everything twice, at the same time."
I'm confused if he has a Mac book then what new way does he have to learn? As far as games all the major titles are out on Mac, this isn't 20 years ago, hell you can always throw a virtual system on it, fun fact that Windows runs faster and more stable on Macs (using the ol' bootcamp) than it does on PCs.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #15
doberso

Old 07-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberso View Post
One is not banned, and the other is you?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #17
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

This is a blast from the past. BTW buying a 27” MAC was a great decision!

Adam, it wasn’t him that had to learn(he was, had both) it was him asking for my daughter. He did give us the MacBook, he hated it.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
fertooos

Hello. I need your advice. My son went to college and will live on campus. Tell me which adult diapers are better to buy? He needs some so that he can go to class without fear of crapping his pants Affordable Diapers, sometimes watch dirty movies and listen to satanic radio, and surf the dark web. BTW, he doesn`t play any games, at all. He gets right down to his nasty business, even when alone. Guys, what is your advice? Which model is suitable, not too expensive. I am very grateful to everyone for your help.

Last edited by icehog3; 07-09-2020 at 01:12 PM.