Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Zubrowka

Anyone try this?

It is vodka infused with something called "bison grass," which is a fragrant and medicinal grass that grows on the plains of Eastern Europe. The bison there grazed on it and it imparted a distinct flavor to their meat.

In Russia it is called Zubrovka, and under this name it was prominently featured in M. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge.

The Polish version is called Zubrowka, and is more readily available (and affordable) here in the US.

For a long time its importation to the US was prohibited since the primary component which gives bison grass its distinctive flavor is coumarin, a blood-thinner.

Never mind that garlic, vitamin E, vitamin C and about a hundred other things you can buy freely are also blood thinners.

Anyone enjoy this? Maugham wrote of it, "It's like listening to music by moonlight." I agree that it is magical.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Zubrowka

I just saw this in the booze store yesterday. The bottles I saw had a green colored vodka in them. They must have been old and the green of the grass blade leached out. It wasn't clear like the picture of the bottle in the link you provided.
I hope someone has tried this and will post. Curiosity has got this cat's ears up.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Zubrowka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
I just saw this in the booze store yesterday. The bottles I saw had a green colored vodka in them. They must have been old and the green of the grass blade leached out. It wasn't clear like the picture of the bottle in the link you provided.
I hope someone has tried this and will post. Curiosity has got this cat's ears up.
It always has a green tinge to it, due to the infusion process.

What brand did you see?