Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road
Default Yuengling!

It was recommended to me, to stop by and get everyone's opinion on what paired with this wonderful lager!

So, in your opinion, what have you had that went well with it? Cigars I mean.

Also, as I live in TX and they do not stock it out here, what is a beer that is VERY similar in taste? I know very little about beers so any advice would be most welcomed
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yuengling!

When it comes to cheap American beer, Yuengling is a tastier choice than most, and I'd sooner drink it than The Big Boys. I have no idea what regional beer in Texas might be similar in taste. To me the English beer Boddington seems close, and maybe you can find that there.

As for pairings, I have the palate of a peon, so no help there.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Yuengling is made about 30 mins from my house, and I have been to both their breweries Its a good beer, not great but its kind of a staple in the area I live, People just order it by saying I'll have a Lager. To me Lager isn't their best beer they make but its good, just to filling. As far as a Paring I would say an AF1 by Emilio Cigars..
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Best thing to pair Yuengling Lager with is a sink drain. Of course that's just my opinion!

Not a fan of it at all. I don't drink BMC very often, but would have one of their beers over Yuengling most everytime. YMMV
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Best thing to pair Yuengling Lager with is a sink drain.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Best thing to pair Yuengling Lager with is a sink drain. Of course that's just my opinion!

Not a fan of it at all. I don't drink BMC very often, but would have one of their beers over Yuengling most everytime. YMMV
I don't know...it's not bad considering the alternatives...

Seriously, If I'm going to drink a "mainstream" breweries beer, I prefer Yuengling to most of the "Big" guys. Plus there is interesting history in the brand.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I don't know...it's not bad considering the alternatives...

Seriously, If I'm going to drink a "mainstream" breweries beer, I prefer Yuengling to most of the "Big" guys. Plus there is interesting history in the brand.

Oh...I'd drink Yuengling before "The Beast" or "Old Mud"! I don't know, it's just something about Yuengling I don't like. I'd reach for a Miller Lite or Coors Light before it (and I don't particularly like either one of those either ). I know lots of others disagree.

And, FWIW, I am a craft beer lover.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Yuengling is the oldest brewery in America. It's been there since 1829.
I just mention that because it seems like folks assume it's one of these new microbreweries that are all over the place nowadays.
It used to be that you couldn't give away a Yuengling, everyone thought it was awful. That was in PA, anyways. Now they're super popular, which is great. They struggled for lots and lots of years and just about closed the doors a number of times.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I enjoy a Yuengling now and again. It's a nice tasting beer right out of the cooler buried in the ice.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Yuengling is the oldest brewery in America. It's been there since 1829.
I just mention that because it seems like folks assume it's one of these new microbreweries that are all over the place nowadays.
It used to be that you couldn't give away a Yuengling, everyone thought it was awful. That was in PA, anyways. Now they're super popular, which is great. They struggled for lots and lots of years and just about closed the doors a number of times.
That's what I was referring too. It's nice knowing that something that old hasn't just faded away...but for the record, I prefer micro breweries these days.

Deja Vue, I could have sworn I posted this last night. Either my mind is fading away into history or I got deleted
Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Try their Black and Tan or their Chesterfield Ale both are really good, plus they make an Octoberfest thats not bad and damn near half the price of a certain Overprice beantown beer.... who by the way have Yuengling brew from them out of their Tampa brewery. Just an FYI
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Drink fresh. Drink local.

Find a brewery near you, go to their tap room and try the beers fresh.

It makes a world of difference.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road

They make a bock also on occasion which isn't bad either.
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I only drink Lager when I am at the cabin and all my beer is gone. It's tolerable compared to most large domestic piss water beers. I have toured their old factory about 12 times, a bi-annual tradition. It's a cool place to see the catacombs where they (Might have) staged beer during prohibition. They really only keep that factory open so they can keep the slogan "oldest brewery in America". Is it better than Bud Light, Coors, etc.? Yes 1000x. Is it good beer? No.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
JLMraider
In vino veritas

First Name: Jonathon
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
JLMraider is on a distinguished road

I would much rather have a Yuengling vs a Bud, Coors or Miller. I can get them for a really low cost here in NC and often keep it stocked for a "everyday" beer. Not my favorite, but when I want to just enjoy a nice cold beer during a weekend afternoon or just because, Yuengling is good for that. I keep the Guinness or other "unique" brews for when I want a treat. I don't have much to offer as far as pairing it with a cigar other than what you find enjoyable.
JLMraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

I'm a big Yuengling guy. I enjoy local brews as well but I keep Yuengling in my fridge. I've heard very few cigar pairings with it so far so I'll throw out Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Robusto.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

In Texas try some of the beers from Shiner. I love the bock, but they make many others. Much better than Lone Star.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #18
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

I grew up 20 minutes from the Yuengling brewery. Way back in those days (the 70's) this was the "cheap" beer we would buy as teenagers. Now its a "micro-brew"
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #19
wdwkelly

Yuengling.....not good...rubbish. Stella Artois...much better much more sophisticated.
A good english or irish beer also gets the taste buds going.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
wdwkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
I grew up 20 minutes from the Yuengling brewery. Way back in those days (the 70's) this was the "cheap" beer we would buy as teenagers. Now its a "micro-brew"
Yeah, its low class beer....I live near Monroeville.....Everyone around here knows its ****.
A lot of the hillbilly around here will still drink it...but not too many folks with a job.
Some of the blue collar folks drink it....not too many.

Last edited by wdwkelly; 02-24-2015 at 11:21 PM.