Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Winemakers

Any winemakers out there? My wife and I have been wanting to try this for a while. We finally picked up a starter kit at our local brew shop this weekend and got things started today. A good friend's father has been making great wine from concentrate for several years and I relied on a lot of advice from him for this first batch.

We're making a Washington state Merlot for our first try. I'll post some pictures soon and keep track of how it goes. Would love to hear from other winemakers.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winemakers

I made a few batches of mead years ago. Tasted like kerosene even after aging. A friend of my brothers makes wine out of frozen Welchs grape juice and it's surprisingly good.

From what I remember most wine recommends at least a year of age before it's really palatable, it's why I switched to making beer.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Yeah, I'm hearing six months to a year is needed before it's really good. That's why I'm starting with wine. Once this is done I'll try my hand at beer, it's nice because the basic equipment needed is the same.

We'd like to make 2-3 batches of wine a year if this turns out well. One batch from a concentrate kit will make about 25 bottles.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Some pictures from today's fun.

Taking stock of everything needed -

Pouring the concentrate into the primary fermentor -

Adding the yeast -

Now to wait -

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Seven days or so of primary fermentation, then rack it to the secondary fermentor and allow another four weeks of fermentation prior to bottling.

Starting gravity of 1.090.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

After brewing beer for over 20 years, I finally brought the wife into the "fermentation hobby" with a pinot noir kit a couple months ago. Compared to beer brewing, wine making is a piece of cake, you just have to wait a bit longer to enjoy the finished product. And be more careful with the liquid since grapes stain things a lot worse than barley She really enjoyed the process and is already thinking about expanding beyond the kit stage and heading down the fruit-wine path. I guess it's kind of like going from extract to all-grain brewing.

We got about 28 bottles out of this kit, so storage will be more challenging than beer. She'll probably stick to 3-4 batches/year, which is still a lot of wine.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

That is awesome!! Thank you for the pictures and please keep us posted. I have some friends that are into wine making. They said they stick with whites because whenever they try to do a red it looks like a murder scene. This is yet another hobby I want to give a try when I get home and settled.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

I know it's a bit early but have you tried any of the wine yet? I'm thinking I'll open one bottle a month, I think it will be interesting to taste the progression.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Good luck. At least you have access to good grapes and an established wine making territory.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
I know it's a bit early but have you tried any of the wine yet? I'm thinking I'll open one bottle a month, I think it will be interesting to taste the progression.
We'll probably let these sit for 3 months before we open the first bottle. But it tasted great in the bottling bucket--fruity, not too dry, a little hot from the alcohol.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Awesome thread! I've been thinking about making Muskadine wine in a couple years when my grapes get a little bigger.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

We have fermentation! There is nothing like watching the bubbles pop up through the airlock!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Racked from the primary into the secondary this morning. Tested the SG and we're down to .998, which according to my calculations puts us at 12.25% ABV. Tastes good, a lot like grape juice still and pretty acidic. I would compare it to 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes at this point and it's only been two weeks. Looking forward to seeing how the taste progresses with time. I will tell you one thing, there is nothing like getting a buzz on a Saturday morning from alcohol you've made yourself

We've been thinking about what to name our "winery" (and eventually brewery when I start brewing in a couple months). I am from NC and my wife is from WA so we are thinking of a play on that: Two Coasts Winery, East Coast West Coast Winery, or Right Coast Left Coast...something like that. Any thoughts?

Using the siphon to rack into the secondary fermentor:

The bag you see in there contains the grape skins, you also can't see them but there are oak chips in there as well to simulate aging in oak barrels:

It's home for another three weeks until we bottle: