Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #61
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Zaya Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I think Zacapa is pretty close to the Guat. Zaya. I like Ron Centenario more than those anyway. Money and wife keep me from drinking $100 a week.
BLASPHEMOUS!
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #62
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
BLASPHEMOUS!

Taste is entirely subjective.
They are all very good.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #63
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Yeah yeah yeah
Old 06-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #64
glassjapan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (11)
glassjapan is on a distinguished road

Not sure why it's blasphemous. At bare minimum there are as many lovers of Zacapa as there are for either version of Zaya. If you're lucky enough to find the fully wrapped bottles you'll change your mind.

That said, gimme some Mount Gay Extra Old, El Dorado 21yr, Cruzan Single Barrel, or even Oronoco to either of the Z's.
glassjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #65
tobii3

I was able to pull some favors....

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get these out today...but they will be headed out VERY soon!!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #66
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get these out today...but they will be headed out VERY soon!!

How much would it cost to hijack that shipment, tobii!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #67
DougBushBC

So after discussing this today, here is what I found:
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #68
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjapan View Post
Not sure why it's blasphemous. At bare minimum there are as many lovers of Zacapa as there are for either version of Zaya. If you're lucky enough to find the fully wrapped bottles you'll change your mind.

That said, gimme some Mount Gay Extra Old, El Dorado 21yr, Cruzan Single Barrel, or even Oronoco to either of the Z's.
I've compared Cruzan Single Barrel one on one with the Guatemalan Zaya, and while I do like the Cruzan, it doesn't compare in my opinion. I've never had the newer Zaya yet. I need to try some other decent rums, but the selection here isn't the greatest, and I'm cheap.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #69
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #70
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:

I have some Zacapa, it is very good. I believe it and the Guatemalan Zaya were produced in the same location. Never was a fan of the Mount Gay Extra Old or Cruzan Single, I'll have to check out the other two though. None of which I've had thus car compares to Guatemalan Zaya. The Zacapa 23 comes somewhat close though
Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #71
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
OH MY!!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:

Tobi,

What can I say but thanks a ton for the very kind gesture! Opening up the FedEx box and seeing a massive Pelican case with two bottles of Guatemalan Zaya as pictured above!! Your a marked man Tobii, and I will be hitting you back and it will hurt!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #73
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #74
DougBushBC

So just opened one of those bottles... drinking it with my Oliva MB1 Torpedo (2001)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #75
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm with you, Zacapa/Zaya are great, but they're too thick and sweet for me. I really enjoy the others you've mentioned (can't find Oronoco), but Ron del Barrilito is my absolute favorite, and not sold in my state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
I've compared Cruzan Single Barrel one on one with the Guatemalan Zaya, and while I do like the Cruzan, it doesn't compare in my opinion.
That's an apples to oranges comparison. The Cruzan SB is more comparable to other Spanish Islands (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc), while the Guatemalan rums are in a group by themselves, maybe closer to the English style rums (El Dorado) in body, but with a little more sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I have some Zacapa, it is very good. I believe it and the Guatemalan Zaya were produced in the same location. Never was a fan of the Mount Gay Extra Old or Cruzan Single, I'll have to check out the other two though. None of which I've had thus car compares to Guatemalan Zaya. The Zacapa 23 comes somewhat close though
You're right, Zacapa and Zaya (and Ron Botran, and Montecristo Rum) were originally produced by the same distillery in Guatemala. Zaya was an independent bottling, so they got cut when demand increased for the company's own rum (Zacapa and Botran).

If you like the sweetness of Zacapa/Zaya, Pyrat is the only other that really comes close. If you like the thicker, heavier body, you'll probably enjoy the El Dorado. The smoky flavors of that one make it particularly cigar friendly.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #76
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Ive only had the Trinidad Zaya, now im going to have to look for the Guatemalan one since my bottle is almost empty
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #77
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
If you like the sweetness of Zacapa/Zaya, Pyrat is the only other that really comes close. If you like the thicker, heavier body, you'll probably enjoy the El Dorado. The smoky flavors of that one make it particularly cigar friendly.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Pyrat. It has WAY too much orange flavor, it tastes like Gran Marnier too me, not like a rum. I'll look into the El Dorado though for sure.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #78
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Our rum selection is so limited up here but im thinking of picking up some el Dorado in the near future.
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #79
tobii3

IT MADE IT!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #80
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:

IT MADE IT!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!
Indeed it did, thanks again brother. It's your ass though.....