Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: LCD vs. LED

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Went to BJ's today and they have some great prices on them. However, Best Buy, as much as I don't like them anymore, has 3 yrs same as cash financing on TV's over $999 right now.

I considered Plasma but am concerned with the longevity. This TV will be used every night just about as I prefer to lay down in my bed to watch tv than in my family room due to my Tempurpedic mattress and my bad back. Then to top it off, I shut it off to go to sleep and the wife turns it on, and leaves it on all night long, pissing me off and giving me information overload by the time I wake up.

Based on that, need something that will be durable. The one I have now lasted about 5 years or so the more I think about it. Not bad, but rather it last longer.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

At the camp I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma (720P not 1080 but that does not matter except on Hi Def Video) that I got at Costco for $549 which is a heck of a deal and I am very happy with it.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #23
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Carlos, I'm like Jamie. I have two plasmas and a DLP.
I've looked at LED laptop displays, and the tv's at the store. I don't get it.
I wouldn't own an lcd tv, I think they suck. The picture is choppy, the viewing angle is poor, they just plain suck from start to finish, at least in my world.
If I were to buy a new tv right now, it'd be plasma if I could find one.
Maybe once the LED's come down in price and they get the bugs worked out, I'd jump. I wouldn't own another DLP, even though I love mine. It's broken more often than not, and didn't work for an entire year when I got it. They finally sent a guy from 200 miles away to fix it.
I do think LED is where it's all going to stop, and we'll settle in with that technology, if only for the energy savings. I'm going to look at them a little closer now and see what's to like. I suppose I should get up to speed.
Good luck, however you decide, brother!!!

Yup, I love my plasma. Was at the cigar shop a couple weeks ago and they have an LCD and plasma next to each other. The LCD has a brighter picture but watching hockey was almost nauseating on the lcd it was so choppy but looked awesome on the plasma. I know the 120hz is sposda be better, but plasmas run at 600hz. And my 58" Samsung is used A LOT.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Carlos, let us know what you get, regardless of what you choose. I'm curious to see what you pick. With your luck, it's probably gonna be screwed up, but at least we'll all know what to avoid.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #25
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I considered Plasma but am concerned with the longevity. This TV will be used every night just about as I prefer to lay down in my bed to watch tv than in my family room due to my Tempurpedic mattress and my bad back. Then to top it off, I shut it off to go to sleep and the wife turns it on, and leaves it on all night long, pissing me off and giving me information overload by the time I wake up.

Based on that, need something that will be durable. The one I have now lasted about 5 years or so the more I think about it. Not bad, but rather it last longer.
The half life on my Panny 58V10 panel brightness is 100,000 hours, or over 11.4 years if it stayed on 24/7. That's a half panel brightness (which can be turned up). Not much to worry about here. Heck, hit the sleep function and it'll go off for you. New technology will get you before the set becomes physically obsolete. Sports and movies in a dark room, IMO are a lot better on a plasma. Daytime or outdoor viewing may be better on a LCD/LED. Also remember, you get what you pay for.

Good luck anyway, Carlos! New TVs are tons of fun!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I know the 120hz is sposda be better, but plasmas run at 600hz.
Thats not true.. its a marketing gimmick... the split the screen into 4 quadrants and each quad MIGHT refresh at 150hz... 150x4 = 600 so they get to say 600hz.... or you get 12 "interpolations" every 50 frames = 600...

Marketing lies tick me off.

edit - I see that panasonic has even taken it a step further
http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-and...ADJ_47106.aspx

their 600hz claim refers to the processor... wtf?!

Quote:
Panasonic UK Ltd (Panasonic) said the "600Hz technology" referred to the processing power, not the frame rate. They explained that the frame rate (or refresh rate) was the rate at which the image on the screen was refreshed, whereas the processing power, an electronic pulse, was applied to the incoming TV picture before it was displayed on the screen.
So just be careful with the marketing bs from ALL tv companies these days.

Last edited by Thrak; 05-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Ah, learn something new everyday. Well, anyway, sports look much smoother on the plasma than on the LCD to my eye. Though the brightness of an LCD would be nice during the daytime.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
The half life on my Panny 58V10 panel brightness is 100,000 hours, or over 11.4 years if it stayed on 24/7. That's a half panel brightness (which can be turned up). Not much to worry about here. Heck, hit the sleep function and it'll go off for you. New technology will get you before the set becomes physically obsolete. Sports and movies in a dark room, IMO are a lot better on a plasma. Daytime or outdoor viewing may be better on a LCD/LED. Also remember, you get what you pay for.

Good luck anyway, Carlos! New TVs are tons of fun!
I love my PDP to death, but the glare on it from an open window is absolutely horrid.

I'd also give off the argument that PDP's give off a LOT of heat, but recent models I've felt actually run a lot cooler than mine does. So it might depend on the model.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #29
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Carlos, yet another site to keep your eye on.

http://slickdeals.net/
Dont forget

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/
Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Marketing lies tick me off.
Like Sharp's latest, that yellow makes HD better? George Takei rocks, but someone didn't think this through. "Let's have a Japanese actor pimping yellow."
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #31
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

When we moved into our new house in September, I purchased an LG 55" 240hz Class LED. The picture is simply mind blowing. I highly recommend going with an LED over a new LCD or Plasma.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #32
Thrak

HUpmann

To clear up a common misconception in this thread...

LED is LCD... its just a different lighting method.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #33
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Aren't the "LED's" just LCD screens with LED backlights??? Supposedly, true LED screens are in development, including organic LED. I saw an article with pictures of a development toy; the screen can be rolled up.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #34
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Aren't the "LED's" just LCD screens with LED backlights??? Supposedly, true LED screens are in development, including organic LED. I saw an article with pictures of a development toy; the screen can be rolled up.
Yup... its just a different backlight method for an LCD, not a different panel like what is still being developed...

I saw a laptop that can be rolled up like a rug... it was sweet!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #35
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:

Actually it is, and its not.

A good quick read I found about LED vs. LCD and the different styles of LED backlighting used by brand/model.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/led-vs-lcd.html

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

A good quick read I found about LED vs. LCD and the different styles of LED backlighting used by brand/model.

Kelly,
That is an awesome link.

For my bedroom, I went on Sunday and sealed my fate.
I got a great price on the Samsung 40" LED 120 Hz and got three years same as cash.
I only got to use it Sunday night as I left town since but man, what a difference over my Samsung 32" 60 Hz. I can't wait to go back home and see it.

I think as soon as I pay this off, will look to either do a large plasma in the family room or see if the LED 3D has come down in price by then, or if it survives at all. Who knows, that technology may end up joining the 8-Track and the Beta if those glasses don't come down considerably in price.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #37
scoop

Quote:

Thanks for the link. A lot of great information.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:

The very beginning of the article says exactly what I said..

Quote:
LED TVs are technically a member of the LCD TV family. The display screen on a LED is a liquid crystal display the same as it is on any other LCD TV. The main difference between the two lies with different backlighting techniques which may change the picture quality characteristics dramatically
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #39
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
The very beginning of the article says exactly what I said..
What a major difference in picture between my LCD and the new LED.
Can't wait to get back home tonight to enjoy it.
Having had to travel the next morning after buying it is like a child getting a toy but having to wrap it and put it away for Christmas.