Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough
Default I got a letter from the IRS yesterday...

After a WTF moment because I have a good CPA and all my payments were made on time, I opened the letter and read something I never expected.

The letter read:
"We changed your 2009 Estimated Tax Total reported on your return. As a result of these changes, you are due a refund if you owe no other taxes."

"You claimed an incorrect amount as Estimated Tax Payment (No. I didn't), payment with extension of time to file (No. I didn't file for an extension), or other payments and credits. If you are due a refund from the Internal Revenue Service, it should arrive within 6 weeks. Any interest due you will be added."

The check came in the mail today. After giving my wife some of the money, I've decided to support SCHIP and buy 3 or 4 boxes of cigars.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I got a letter from the IRS yesterday...

Wow...that's a rare occurance with the IRS.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

My girlfriend (who did her own taxes) got a similar letter this year telling her she missed something and was due more money. And she got an additional check, too.

Maybe I can convince her to spend a little on some cigars ...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
After a WTF moment because I have a good CPA and all my payments were made on time, I opened the letter and read something I never expected.

The letter read:
"We changed your 2009 Estimated Tax Total reported on your return. As a result of these changes, you are due a refund if you owe no other taxes."

"You claimed an incorrect amount as Estimated Tax Payment (No. I didn't), payment with extension of time to file (No. I didn't file for an extension), or other payments and credits. If you are due a refund from the Internal Revenue Service, it should arrive within 6 weeks. Any interest due you will be added."

The check came in the mail today. After giving my wife some of the money, I've decided to support SCHIP and buy 3 or 4 boxes of cigars.
If you didn't make those errors you'd better hope they don't catch up with you or you'll be sending them a few boxes of cigars......
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:

The letter read:

As much as I hate to rain on your parade, I'd take all the information the IRS sent you and talk to your CPA. See if they can find the mistake as well.

Why?

If the IRS made a mistake, and they discover their mistake, they will come looking for their money. And, you better have it when they ask. If not, you will pay interest to them.

Double-checking is a pain in the posterior, but may save you some problems down the line.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
As much as I hate to rain on your parade, I'd take all the information the IRS sent you and talk to your CPA. See if they can find the mistake as well.

Why?

If the IRS made a mistake, and they discover their mistake, they will come looking for their money. And, you better have it when they ask. If not, you will pay interest to them.

Double-checking is a pain in the posterior, but may save you some problems down the line.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Better safe than sorry!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Actually, you will pay interest if you owe, even if they made a mistake. If they think that you should have caught their mistake, the will also assess a penalty.

At the very least, call the 800 customer service number for your area and ask them to verify. This won't mean squat, btw, if you weren't supposed to get it back. Have your CPA verify and also ask your CPA about sending it back if he does not think that he (the CPA) made a mistake.

Several years ago, I received some IRS largess and it appeared that I did make a mistake, having entered a value on the wrong line, which they caught. A later automated audit caught where the number should have been entered and thus correctly judged that I should not have received the largess. Interest but no penalties. The person at the IRS who I talked to said that the best bet was to always return checks you weren't expecting with a letter asking the IRS to recheck their math.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

The first thing I did was make a copy of everything and faxed it over to my CPA. They called back and said they are contacting the IRS to figure it out. Right now it looks like "we" (the CPA) missed a tax credit that we were eligible to claim.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Cigary

NO good deed goes unpunished...I think this is the IRS credo I saw in their office one time.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The first thing I did was make a copy of everything and faxed it over to my CPA. They called back and said they are contacting the IRS to figure it out. Right now it looks like "we" (the CPA) missed a tax credit that we were eligible to claim.
Hope it works out that way for you. Back in 1984 I got a similar letter and a check. I took the check and used it to help buy a new Buick. Year later the IRS said whoops - we made a mistake and you owe that money plus interest.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Actually we are putting the money in savings. I figure we'll just leave it there until we're sure it wasn't a mistake. The CPA is verifying the change with the IRS also.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

It Really Sucks
Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Thats great! Get yourself a nice stick or two

aj
Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Are you sure the amount wasn't for the making work pay credit? Was it $400 or $800?
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I NEVER trust the IRS. A few years ago we invested in a tax sheltered investment. I still have the letter from the IRS telling us it was OK. They came back 3 years later and said they wanted $70K. They basically said... we made a mistake and you owe us money!! Don't spend that money unless you can afford to replace it.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
After giving my wife some of the money, I've decided to support SCHIP and buy 3 or 4 boxes of cigars.
Just bypass SCHIP and buy some CC's instead.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Just bypass SCHIP and buy some CC's instead.
........x2
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
Are you sure the amount wasn't for the making work pay credit? Was it $400 or $800?
Got an email from the CPA. It was the make work pay credit. No explanation on why they missed it when they did my taxes though it may have something to do with my being self employed.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Got an email from the CPA. It was the make work pay credit. No explanation on why they missed it when they did my taxes though it may have something to do with my being self employed.
It is good to hear that the IRS didn't short change you. Good thing they caught it or you would have been out the money.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

That's a lot better than the letters I got from them last year.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote