Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation
Default Your favorite drugstore single-malt Scotch?

I figured I would start a thread on drugstore single-malts. I was going to make this one a poll, but I realized that there were more "drugstore single-malts" than first meets the eye! A drugstore single-malt Scotch is loosely defined as a single-malt Scotch that is widely available at grocery stores, drugstores, corner liquor shops, and wholesalers (e.g. Sams Club, Costco). Also, a drugstore single-malt should cost less than 50.00.

Varietes like Glenfiddich, Speyburn, Aberlour, Glenmorangie, Talisker, and Glenlivet come to mind. If I can find them in a Jewel or similar grocery store, its a drugstore single-malt Scotch.

And it sure is nice to have my favorite drugstore single-malt, Glenlivet 12, available nearby for an excellent price. The aroma of Glenlivet 12 seems to invade the senses - inhaled through a narrow glass, the peaty, sweet, grassy aroma creeps through the sinuses and haunts the the nasal cavity, eventually mixing with the inhaled aromas in the mouth. Most cheaper single-malts cant provide this sensory mix, but Glenlivet 12 does. Glenlivet 12 is always smooth and mellow, with sugar/honey, sherry and caramel overtones. Glenlivet 12 never provides a nasty aftertaste - I usually imbibe it neat with a splash of distilled water.

So, what is your favorite drugstore single-malt?
omowasu is offline   Reply With Quote