Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
TheRuckus13

Default New pipe question

As seen in my first thread, I just bought my first real pipe, already. It's a large Savinelli Baronet, and if I take my time it's a 110-120 minute smoke. I so prefer this to the 15-20 minute smokes that MM cobs give me I'm thinking about just smoking my Savinelli once every 24 hours, so once a day. Would this harm the pipe in anyway? If it can be what extra cleaning measures should be taken in order to prevent it going sour?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New pipe question

Some people smoke a pipe then let it "rest" for long periods of time. Week if not more. Once a day isnt anything bad. After smoking I would just give it a quick clean with a pipe cleaner.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Just as Frank said I dont see an issue in it. You could leave a pipe cleaner in while it is resting as well. I smoke one Savinelli on the way to work and then another on the way back from work every day and have not had a problem. I just empty the ash and run a cleaner through. After the first cleaner I run another one through and just let it sit there till the next morning.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

If you smoke it that often then you may want to look into the Salt Cleaning Technique as you may have to do this more often than normal. This helps prevent a pipe from going sour or turning a sour pipe back to normal.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
TheRuckus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete View Post
If you smoke it that often then you may want to look into the Salt Cleaning Technique as you may have to do this more often than normal. This helps prevent a pipe from going sour or turning a sour pipe back to normal.
How much is "often" suppose to be? I don't even know how often you should give it this treatment normally.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

A Baronet (EX) has a HUGE bowl that can get wet and stay wet, which is, technically speaking, suckky. Let your eye (or tastebuds) be your gauge. If the heel of the pipe looks wet, it's wet, and will need dry time.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuckus13 View Post
How much is "often" suppose to be? I don't even know how often you should give it this treatment normally.
This is all pretty subjective. It depends on a lot of varibles such as how wet the blend is that you normally smoke, how much saliva gets down the pipe while you're smoking, time between smokes, etc.

I don't have a dead set time period that I do a salt treatment with my pipes but I usually only do it if I smoke a blend that I am familiar with and it tastes kind of funky. Then I clean that pipe. Because I have several pipes whenever I do one pipe I end up doing three or four just to knock it out for those pipes.

Now there are some people who say that you should do this monthly, bi-weekly, yearly......it really depends on how the pipe tastes and smokes.

Here are a few links to salt treatment techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4OlM8n4bAc

http://www.virtualsmokinglounge.com/..._treatment.pdf

There have been several discussions on here in which people have substituted the salt with cotton balls.

I usually use the salt myself but I only leave it in there for about 3 hours. Some say that if you leave it in for an extremely long time that it can actually crack the bowl although I have never seen this myself.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote