Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Pepin Garcia my father le bijou 1922 churchill

I was chatting to Joetownhound on facebook some time ago and he tricked me into telling that I never smoked a Don Pepin Garcia my father Le Bijou 1922 which was reason enough for him to bomb me. Don't mistake this for the normal Don Pepin Garcia My Father line though, the normal line was created by Pepins son Jaime as a tribute to his father while the My Father le Bijou (French for jewel) 1922 was created by Don Pepin to commemorate his father.

The cigar looks great with a nice dark wrapper. I do think that the band is a little over the top, there is just too much going on. The wrapper doesn't have a lot of veins and the construction feels good. The predraw is fine but leaves no flavor on my palate. The 7x50 churchill does have a nice peppery barnyard aroma.

I get a medium full coffee flavor and I do miss the signature Pepin pepper twang. After almost an inch I do get some herbal flavors too. Little passed an inch and the coffee turns into leather on a mild herbal background.

Halfway the leather changes into wood with herf and after ⅔ the coffee returns. The wood slowly disappears, I only taste coffee with leather, herbs and finally some pepper but I can't say I like it a lot.

The smoke is medium thick and the quantity is medium too. Medium seems to be the key word as both flavor and body are medium too. The burn is good and so is the draw. The salt & pepper colored ash is quite firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this cigar is probably the Don Pepin blend that I least liked. Too be honest, if I wasn't reviewing the cigar I would have tossed it.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Don Pepin Garcia my father le bijou 1922 churchill

Thanks for the review & pictures Ferdie.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

As always Don Fernando I enjoyed this review and agrees with it 100%. It is nothing like th orignal MF, with the #4 being my favorite. I too just as you wouldn't buy this cigar again "although I have one more left in the humi". I was expecting so much from this stick only to be disappointed. Thanks for the review keep up the great work.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Cigary

I've had my fair share of this cigar and in a size I love. This is a very good cigar IMO and sorry you found it to be something that wasn't a good experience. I'd say try one again later with a about 4 months on it as I think you'd change your mind esp. if you tried it sometime in the future...maybe a few months. The very first one I tried did not impress me either and I try not to make a choice after only 1 or 2 cigars.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Great review Ferdie.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Out of that line I really enjoy the petit robusto and just thought the toro and churchill were kinda boring
Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review brother. I enjoyed the robusto sized one I had.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

The only Le Bijou worth anything is the Petit Robusto. Stick to the regular My Father line, IMO.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (7)
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

To me the Petit Robusto is better then any of the My Father Line.
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote