Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
vinnydisilvio

Default Shuriken Cutter: First Impressions

***Sorry for the length of the write-up...it kinda got away on me***

Having read the previous thread about this item on CA, it's clear not everyone is interested in it. There are some who are more than happy to stick with what works for them. Great. However, there are some who are curious or even interested in it. Maybe they're collectors like me who like to have at least 1 of each kind of cutter available. Maybe they just like checking out the newest thing. I just got mine in the mail today so I thought I'd write about my first impressions (as I've only used it once) for those interested.

As with a lot of new products, this one makes some interesting claims. The company who makes it (I believe it's CigarTech but I could be wrong) claims that it allows the smoker to more easily control the draw of the cigar. They also claim that not cutting the cap off increases the amount of flavor you get from the stick, as well as the claim that having the 6 slits vs. cutting off part of the cap allows for a cooler smoke and more even draw and burn. Finally the claim is that, the slits being where they are, the smoke is directed right to the front of the palate so that some of the more pleasant flavors of the cigar can be easily experienced.

The cutter currently only comes with a plastic body and retails for about $20. It comes in the shape of what I would describe as a capsule. Once the cap comes off, inside there are 6 very small blades in a kind of "star" pattern. It's actually pretty simple to use. You simply insert the head of your cigar into the body of the cutter with firm, but relatively easy pressure until you can't push further. You will hear the blades cut into the cap. Once you've done that, the cut is done and you can take the cigar out. This leaves the cap with 6 slits around the outside. The slits are nearly invisible in my experience but if you squeeze the cap with very slight pressure the slits open up (although this isn't necessary in order to draw from the cigar). However, the company states that the whole idea behind controlling your draw is to squeeze open the slits more or less if you need to open it up. All the instructions for use were included with the cutter I bought.

So in my experience, this cutter delivers on at least some of the maker's claims. I did find that my cigar didn't feel as hot as I'm used to even within 3 inches of being done. However, this may be a matter of perception. Since the cap wasn't open, the heat isn't being vented through a big opening. Still, having the cigar and smoke stay cooler for longer was pleasant. Where some might be turned off is how I found you need to position the cigar in your mouth in order to get a proper draw. Since I'm mostly used to guillotine cutters, I don't normally put the cigar very far into my mouth when I draw from it (since, with guillotines, the cap is cut on the very top end). Since this cutter puts the slits on the outside (otherwise known as the shoulder) of the cap, I had to put the cigar a little further in my mouth than I'm used to. However, I quickly got used to this within a few minutes and found that once I started into a habit of drawing "correctly", I did it without having to think about it.

What I'm not sure about is the truth behind the claims of the smoke being more flavorful and the burn more even than with another style of cut. The only way to truly test these claims, IMO, is to do a full field test where multiple cigars and cutters are used (although the cigars would probably have to all be the same kind). That said, I did find that the burn on my cigar was more consistently even than I'm used to and more quickly self-corrected, when it did start to become uneven, than I've seen before. Then again, that also could have resulted from the way the cigar was made. There's no question that whether you believe what the company tells you could easily be a matter of perception.

Personally, I definitely like this cutter and will be using it a lot more on different types of cigar vitolas since the idea is that it should work on nearly any cigar (e.g. torpedos, pyramids, etc.). If you like the idea of having different ways to cut your cigars and you like to try new things, I would definitely suggest giving this one a try.

The picture below clearly isn't pro but you get the idea...

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shuriken Cutter: First Impressions

Thanks for Info

I'll stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" group. It's a cool idea and way to think out out of the box.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Vin, I'd be willing to try it out sometime....why not?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
vinnydisilvio

thanks for reading and for the comments guys.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I got one for free with an order from CI. Might actually have to give it a shot.

** CAUTION **

Do not stick your finger in there. Those little blades are sharp as hell.

Last edited by WittyUserName; 09-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
kickerb

Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I got one for free with an order from CI. Might actually have to give it a shot.

** CAUTION **

Old 09-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

I thought that's what they used at the doctor's office to prick your finger!
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If someone sent me one to try, I would give it a shot and send it back....but I have plenty of good cutters so0 that I don't want or need to spend money on another.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the write up.

I'm not sure I'll buy one until I try it.
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
If someone sent me one to try, I would give it a shot and send it back....but I have plenty of good cutters so0 that I don't want or need to spend money on another.
lol maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying. you'd try it and send it back even if you liked it?

i can respect people sticking with that they already have in terms of purchases. like i said, getting the newest thing isn't what everyone's into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Thanks for the write up.

I'm not sure I'll buy one until I try it.
yeah, i couldn't agree more. i mean, i bought it without trying it but only because i heard recommendations from some people whose opinions i've learned i can trust (and because i'm an accessory slut). i don't think i'd recommend to anyone to buy one of these without trying it first.

i'm just not sure if i'll ever use another cutter unless it's for a cigar that this won't really work on or if i get a cigar that's plugged. this cutter would be virtually useless on something that's plugged, for obvious reasons.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydisilvio View Post
i'm just not sure if i'll ever use another cutter unless it's for a cigar that this won't really work on or if i get a cigar that's plugged. this cutter would be virtually useless on something that's plugged, for obvious reasons.
They should hire you to help them market it, as you seem to be very satisfied.
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

So how far would a churchill have to go in the mouth to get a proper draw?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
mariogolbee

Quote:
Quote:
lol maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying. you'd try it and send it back even if you liked it?

i can respect people sticking with that they already have in terms of purchases. like i said, getting the newest thing isn't what everyone's into.
I think what Tom is saying is that if someone were to loan him one of these by sending it to him that he would give it a try and ship it back to the lender. That's what I would do.

Hey Bill, I though you were into getting new accessories and passing them around. Maybe this would be a great idea for the next lighter/cutter pass you host?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I think what Tom is saying is that if someone were to loan him one of these by sending it to him that he would give it a try and ship it back to the lender. That's what I would do.
Pretty much, Mario...saying that I would have to try it for myself before shelling out $20, and it would have to be an improvement over my Palios and XiKar cutters and XiKar punch before I would buy it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post

** CAUTION **

Is this the voice of experience?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post

Hey Bill, I though you were into getting new accessories and passing them around. Maybe this would be a great idea for the next lighter/cutter pass you host?
If there was enough interest sometime early next year I would make it happen.

Recently I've been changing up my entire collection so it would be a while still before I'd be ready to host another pass. I would project 4-6 months and I would want to grab the most unique lighter(s) and cutter(s) to pass around.

If I were to do another though there would be ZERO NC's unless someone wants to do a 50-50 pass and they could do their takes with the NC's. But I have none.

This is entirely dependent on interest though.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
Pretty much, Mario...saying that I would have to try it for myself before shelling out $20, and it would have to be an improvement over my Palios and XiKar cutters and XiKar punch before I would buy it.
oh ok. sorry, i didn't quite get you the first time. i'm pretty new to CA and the antics you all get up to here

yeah, for sure though...if it's not an improvement there's no need to replace something you already like.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Same distance as a:
Robusto
Corona
Corona Gorda
Toro

you get the point.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
vinnydisilvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Same distance as a:
Robusto
Corona
Corona Gorda
Toro

you get the point.
right...sorry zeuce, i missed your question. what i was saying in my write-up was not that different size cigars have to go further than others, but that i have to put any cigar that's cut with the Shuriken further in than i would if it was cut with a guillotine, punch, scissors, etc.

thanks for spotting that, Wade.